Why do the transactions assigned to my budget category not subtract from the total budget available

holmie
holmie Member
I have created a budget and have categorized all transactions for the month. Several of my budget categories are not totaling the transactions assigned and subtracting from the allotted budget. For example, Entertainment has 6 or 7 transactions assigned, but the budget line says I have used $0 of $200. I cannot get an accurate read of budget remaining if transactions are not properly being accounted for.

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2022
    Have you verified that the account with the entertainment booked transactions is included for the budget?  Do that from the"budget actions" button in the upper right corner of the budget tab.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have not already done so, you might want to review the accounts that are to be included in the Budget.  If the account(s) these transactions occur in is not included in the budget then those transactions will not be included, as well.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• holmie
    holmie Member
    Thank you both for the quick response this morning! Unfortunately, that does not appear to solve the issue. The accounts are included in the budget and I have transactions that are showing up and calculating for other budget categories. Any other ideas?
  • I am having a similar issue. I have used Quicken budgets for many years but for some reason over the last few days, some transactions are not logging their amounts on the budget actuals. This is happening with only a few CC accounts at the current
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue (Budget view and register view or transaction report showing the transactions in question), sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• holmie
    holmie Member
    Thank you. I'll work on attaching the screenshot! The issue is still happening, so hoping someone will be able to help me.
  • holmie
    holmie Member
    Attached is the screenshot
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    holmie said:
    Attached is the screenshot
    I'm sorry, but I can't find a report which looks similar to yours in my Quicken for Windows.
    What version and release of Quicken are you using? Mac or Windows?
    During setup of the report, are you looking at budget year 2022 for your Dec 2022 transactions?

• holmie
    holmie Member
    I have a PC so I’m using Windows but I believe this view is in the web version. When I click into Budget, then Personal Expenses, and then select a particular budget category, this is the view.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    holmie said:
    I have a PC so I’m using Windows but I believe this view is in the web version. When I click into Budget, then Personal Expenses, and then select a particular budget category, this is the view.
    If you are indeed using Quicken on the Web to work with your budgets, please ensure that all your transactions recorded in Quicken for Windows in all account registers have been synchronized with your Web sync file on the Quicken server.
    It might be best if you reset the sync file, so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy. Verify that all accounts in your Windows file containing transactions are enabled for sync.

How to reset Sync to Cloud

• Log out of your mobile/web app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Sync your desktop file to the cloud
    • Now log back into your mobile/web app
  • holmie
    holmie Member
    So after 27 mins on hold with Quicken Support.... I have learned that, even though the software allows/encourages you to set up your account on the web, you have to set up EVERYTHING on the desktop first. The web will not sync to the desktop. So, this budget issue was only the tip of the iceberg. Now I have to reset up my ENTIRE Quicken account and try again.

Seems like a pretty HUGE bug and a big negative for the software.
  • holmie
    holmie Member
    All the intro videos and setup videos promote the ability to sync BETWEEN the desktop and the web, which suggests that where you setup your account is your choice.
This discussion has been closed.