What happened to my income for 2022 tax planner?

Kerry
Kerry Member ✭✭✭
I was using the tax planner 12/31/2022 to estimate my final quarterly payment. Upon loading the planner 01/01/2023, the tax year 2022 no longer has any income from any source. The income for 2021 can be displayed but nothing for 2022. Payments made do show up.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Art said:
    Got the same issue. Wasn't finished with '22 but can't get it back. Switching back and forth doesn't help. Seems like we should have access to it for a couple of years.
    When you switched the year from 2022 to 2021, did you then close the popup and then reopen the popup and select 2022?  That is what I had to do to get the Tax Planner to repopulate the 2022 data.

I tried this in another test data file:  First I switched to 2021 and then immediately switched back to 2022...the issue was not fixed.  But closing the popup after switching to 2021 and then reopening and switching to 2022 fixed the missing data, again, just like in the first data file.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The standard workaround is to temporarily change the date on your computer back to 12/31/2022. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    I've found that opening Tax Planner, changing the year to 2021, closing Tax Planner, opening Tax Planner again and then changing the Tax Planner back to 2022 has consistently resolved the issue for me, both yesterday and today. 

Unfortunately, every time I open Quicken the Tax Planner is messed up, again, and I need to repeat that process.

Hopefully, Quicken gets this issue and also gets Tax Planner updated to allow for 2023 tax planning very soon.  If I recall it properly, last year when this happened it was sometime in January before it was fixed.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    When I opened Quicken today my 2022 data in Tax Planner was largely missing.  I switched to 2021 and then back to 2022 and the 2022 data was then present, again.  Maybe that will work for you, too?

• Art
    Art Member ✭✭
    Got the same issue. Wasn't finished with '22 but can't get it back. Switching back and forth doesn't help. Seems like we should have access to it for a couple of years.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    This seems to be an annual issue until Quicken puts out a fix.
  • Boatnmaniac
    jfclague said:
    This seems to be an annual issue until Quicken puts out a fix.
    I agree.  When the fix comes out it should also include the new year.  The new year never seems to get added until sometime in January.   :(

• Kerry
    Kerry Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Art, I was able to get it back by changing the system date back to 2022. Concern there is my cloud syncing.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    Art said:
    When you switched the year from 2022 to 2021, did you then close the popup and then reopen the popup and select 2022?  That is what I had to do to get the Tax Planner to repopulate the 2022 data.

I tried this in another test data file:  First I switched to 2021 and then immediately switched back to 2022...the issue was not fixed.  But closing the popup after switching to 2021 and then reopening and switching to 2022 fixed the missing data, again, just like in the first data file.

• Kerry
    Kerry Member ✭✭✭
    Today it is even worse. 2021 is all zeros and 2022 is total garbage. I can't even figure out where the 2022 data is coming from. Closing the popup didn't make any difference today (1/2/2023)
  • markchron
    markchron Member ✭✭
    And Tax Planner is screwed up as well.
  • pmarshall
    pmarshall Member
    Tax planner will not show 2022 data in January of 2023. is there somewhere to change setting?
  • mshiggins
    The standard workaround is to temporarily change the date on your computer back to 12/31/2022. 

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    pmarshall said:
    Tax planner will not show 2022 data in January of 2023. is there somewhere to change setting?
    My Tax Planner (Q Windows R45.21) doesn't even show "Tax Year 2023" yet. It's still, IMHO correctly, showing 2022 because I haven't finished my taxes for 2022 yet.
    You should be able to change Tax Year in Tax Planner by clicking either of these:

• microb
    microb Member
    Program is loading 2023 projections
  • mshiggins
    Answer ✓

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023 Answer ✓
    I've found that opening Tax Planner, changing the year to 2021, closing Tax Planner, opening Tax Planner again and then changing the Tax Planner back to 2022 has consistently resolved the issue for me, both yesterday and today. 

Unfortunately, every time I open Quicken the Tax Planner is messed up, again, and I need to repeat that process.

Hopefully, Quicken gets this issue and also gets Tax Planner updated to allow for 2023 tax planning very soon.  If I recall it properly, last year when this happened it was sometime in January before it was fixed.

• microb
    microb Member
    Thank you!
  • tnsprin
    tnsprin Member ✭✭✭
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > I've found that opening Tax Planner, changing the year to 2021, closing Tax Planner, opening Tax Planner again and then changing the Tax Planner back to 2022 has consistently resolved the issue for me, both yesterday and today. 
    >
    > Unfortunately, every time I open Quicken the Tax Planner is messed up, again, and I need to repeat that process.
    >
    > Hopefully, Quicken gets this issue and also gets Tax Planner updated to allow for 2023 tax planning very soon.  If I recall it properly, last year when this happened it was sometime in January before it was fixed.

I've not found the changing years of any help.

And of course everytime I open it it reverts to values that are very wrong for my Tax Planning.
  • mikek753b
    mikek753b Member ✭✭✭✭
    this got broken almost every year, till new update ...
    when it is required the most for 4th estimate tax calculations
    Best Regards
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    @Boatnmaniac This DID work for me.  I hadn't closed the Tax Planner between switching years.  Thank you.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    The tax planner shows that it is getting scheduled estimated tax payments for 2023 when the year selected is 2022.  Seems like a bug.

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• Jack755
    Jack755 Unconfirmed ✭✭
    Same  problem here ! Can't run tax planner for 2022. When will the new update to fix this be available ??
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the tip on toggling the year. That works for me as well. Until, as you say, Quicken is restarted.
    I have no hope this will ever be fixed. And I don't care terribly much. Quicken's tax features have (cough) never been great. So at this point all I want is 2022 numbers to be close to accurate and I don't yet care about 2023.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023
    @leishirsute , @Rocket J Squirrel - Thanks for confirming this toggling the calendar years worked for you.  In another post thread there were a couple of others who said it worked for them, as well.

@tnsprin - Sorry to hear it is not working for you.  I think you are the first to tell me that.  For me the closing of Tax Planner between toggles of the years is what makes it work.  When Tax Planner is not closed between the toggles, it does not work for me.  If I can think of something else to try I'll be sure to let you know. 

@Rocket J Squirrel - I use Tax Planner because there are some tax credits I take advantage of (~$15K per year) where I am required to keep my MAGI under a certain level or I will need to repay those tax credits.  I really would love to be able to set up the new calendar year in Tax Planner starting about Dec 1 because I need to finalize my MAGI plan for the next year by Dec 15.  So I need to do all the planning in Excel.  Tax Planner would make that planning process so much easier for me than doing it in Excel.

Then throughout the new year I use Tax Planner primarily to track progress against the MAGI plan so I don't get a surprise at the end of the year and have to pay back some or all of those tax credits.

As far as the tax projection in Tax Planner:  I agree.  If it gets me into a reasonable ballpark of what will actually happen I am happy.  Actually, I've found that Tax Planner is pretty conservative and tends to over-estimate the amount of tax that I will owe.  I like that because it makes it less likely that I will get an unplanned and unpleasant tax bill at the end of the year.

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    The tax planner should be ready to go in December, so a clock roll-back is not necessary. The inflation adjustments were issued in October and no new laws impacting the planner were issued. The new development team blew it this year after Sangeetha and others left early last year. Apparently, they did not leave adequate instructions on the annual update process, or the new team just ignored them.
  • Boatnmaniac
    The tax planner should be ready to go in December, so a clock roll-back is not necessary. The inflation adjustments were issued in October and no new laws impacting the planner were issued. The new development team blew it this year after Sangeetha and others left early last year. Apparently, they did not leave adequate instructions on the annual update process, or the new team just ignored them.
    Perhaps but they blew it last year, too, with 2022 not being present in Tax Planner until later in January even after people (including myself) started to complain in Dec 2021 that 2022 was not visible in Tax Planner.  I don't view this as a Sangeetha-and-others-left-early-last-year issue, although that might have exacerbated the situation.  It's an issue that has existed for some time before they left.

• markus1957
    edited January 2023
    Last year the federal tax updates were not published until November 10th rather than the normal early October release. Quicken had a test update ready a month later, but you're right, production didn't release until January. 

I've suggested to the old team that the Tax Planner pull-down year selector should be changed to calculated values of current year and previous year to reduce the number of manual changes required. I'm pretty sure that would also solve the clock roll-back issue for years when New Year tax updates are not in place by January 1st; sometimes it's not Quicken, but Congress that's late. It's an old module but it can provide a pretty accurate estimate of tax owed when it is kept up to date by Quicken and fed with good scheduled transaction data by the user.
  • Qkn Junkie
    Qkn Junkie Member ✭✭
    The approach described in a previous comment worked for me:

First I switched to 2021 and then immediately switched back to 2022...the issue was not fixed. But closing the popup after switching to 2021 and then reopening and switching to 2022 fixed the missing data, again, just like in the first data file.

Having said that, I can't remember a January in the last many years when the tax planner worked well for the just ended previous year so I could use the TP to determine my last quarterly payment. We always have to resort to some sort of "work around". Quicken never seems to fix the problem to provide a smooth transition. Quicken, are you listening?????
  • KenB
    KenB Member ✭✭
    I agree with the other posters. Even screwier: Day before yesterday on 1/4/2023 the tax planner was showing reasonable numbers. Today it has managed to have a date of 2022, but shows a possibility of 2023 being selected; but one can't actually select 2023, it immediately reverts to 2022. Worse, the data in the planner does seem to be 2022 data, which I can live with. Except that the Capital Gains section says that it's using 2023 data which, of course, is zero. This throws the taxes and refunds out into left field.

The problem with all this is, and this is no surprise, the TAX SEASON STARTS IN JANUARY OF EACH YEAR. And _that's_ when we need a working tax planner so, well, nifty things like estimated taxes can be estimated and, if necessary, paid. Yup, there's a workaround: Open up a spreadsheet, manually enter tons of data, replicate the estimated tax worksheets from the IRS, and so on and so on. Weirdly enough, I've been doing this for a dozen years or more: Because this nifty bit of software, Quicken, which ACTUALLY CAN DO ALL THIS is Out To Lunch right after 1/1/XXXX. Did I mention that, in a typical year, estimated taxes are due on 1/15/XXXX? And if one is late, one has to pay penalties.

I provide a fair amount of tech support to friends, families, and neighbors. These days, I don't actually recommend Quicken too much. In part because of on-line tools (for the younger set) and the buggy nature of THINGS LIKE THIS for the older. I'd feel a lot better about Quicken if the buggy nature of the Tax Planner at the beginning of every blame year could be put to rest.
    </RANT>
  • markus1957
    Keep an eye out for the R46.9 version to be posted on the Mondo Patch web page. It has the Planner update. With still more testing needed to verify the numbers, 2022 looks intact and 2023 looks reasonable.
  • Boatnmaniac
    While R46.9 is in staged release, for those who don't want for it to be posted to the Mondo Patch page there is a link at the bottom of the R46.XX Announcement that can be used to download it now:  Windows R46.XX Release (US).

This discussion has been closed.