I have Quicken 2015 home and business. I have converted files from Quicken 2008 to Quicken 2013.

When I open them into the 2015 on my windows 10 machine they appear to load but then it immediately goes to a window for me to log into my Intuit account. I know Intuit no longer owns Quicken. Any suggestions as to how I can use these files?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I believe that you will find that you might not be able to register new files in Quicken 2015 since the change last year in the handling of the non-supported versions of Quicken that have the ID.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Update your QWin 2015 to release 17.4, available here:
    Then you will use a Quicken ID instead of an Intuit ID.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I believe that you will find that you might not be able to register new files in Quicken 2015 since the change last year in the handling of the non-supported versions of Quicken that have the ID.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• regnad_kcin
    regnad_kcin Member
    edited January 2023
    Thanks. That confirms what I thought after viewing https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2015-patches.html, the comment there, and also at the link given there. ( https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20292663) .
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found this old note in my records:

Bypass registration (Quicken for Windows US 2015 only)

You can bypass the registration request by holding Ctrl + Shift and clicking the Update Accounts blue arrow icon to turn off the registration requirement.  When the message “You will no longer be prompted for registration” appears, click OK

With a little luck it might get you out of registration jail.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    I found this old note in my records:

Bypass registration (Quicken for Windows US 2015 only)

You can bypass the registration request by holding Ctrl + Shift and clicking the Update Accounts blue arrow icon to turn off the registration requirement.  When the message “You will no longer be prompted for registration” appears, click OK

With a little luck it might get you out of registration jail.
    You need to update your notes. The registration bypass does not work for any Intuit ID/Quicken ID versions.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    You need to update your notes. The registration bypass does not work for any Intuit ID/Quicken ID versions.
    The dialog still pops up in R46. Are you saying that it doesn't do anything despite claiming that it does?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Rocket: I do get the "You will no longer be prompted for registration" message but when I go to open the updated Quicken file I get the Intuit login with no way out. I thank everyone for the help... . I'll just go with the subscription for now.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I agree with @mshiggins that people need to update/understand what each of these things are doing.

I'm going to work backwards through the problems.
    1. The most recent problem is that Quicken Inc changed the way their login for the Quicken Id works.  This has resulted in preventing Quicken versions before Quicken Subscription that are using the Quicken Id to fail with a blank Quicken Id log in screen.  This affects Quicken 2014 through 2017, which use the Quicken Id.  Versions of Quicken before Quicken 2014 didn't use a Quicken Id.  The only reason someone should want to log in with the Quicken Id for Quicken 2014 to Quicken 2017 is to "register" a new install, which Quicken will not allow you to open a data file until it is done.  The only workaround for this is to copy the Quicken.ini file from a machine where it has already been registered (the registration information is in the Quicken.ini file).  What this workaround basically does is eliminate the log in since the reason it was trying to log in was to register Quicken.
    2. Quicken 2014 to Quicken 2017 were created by Intuit and started out using the Intuit Id.  The Intuit servers for logging in to Intuit Id for Quicken are long gone.  But every one of these versions of Quicken got a later patch to start using the Quicken Id instead of the Intuit Id.  If one is being prompted to enter the Intuit Id, then they need to install the latest patch so that it will switch to the Quicken Id.  Note I have no idea if just copying the Quicken.ini file from a working machine will bypass the Intuit Id login or not, but in any case, it would always be best to be on the latest patch version for any of these.
    3. For Quicken 2013 and below registration was optional, but there was a "nag dialog" for it. You could install and run without ever registering.  The special key sequence turned off that registration nag dialog.  And it was nag, you could always just cancel the dialog and go on.  The registration/login for the Quicken Id in Quicken 2014 and beyond isn't optional.  Yes, even in Quicken subscription you can do that special key sequence and the dialog saying that you won't get nagged about the registration comes up, but it does nothing, because by definition you had to have logged in/registered to even get to that point in Quicken 2014 and beyond.  I'm also going to state something that seems to come from time to time.  Even after installing and logging in/registering (or copying the Quicken.ini file) people have reported that the login window has come up at times for some unknown reason.  In those cases, sometimes canceling out of it multiple times (like three times) will let it go on.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
    The dialog still pops up in R46. Are you saying that it doesn't do anything despite claiming that it does?

If only it was that easy to bypass the Intuit ID or Quicken ID. I wouldn’t have to live in constant fear of QW2017 phoning home, not getting the right answer, and losing access to my data. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.