CarMax sync

When I choose the option to have Carmax text my phone to verify One Step Update I get a call for Microsoft sign in.

Best Answer

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Answer ✓
    Hello @bdchalmers,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, I'd like to start off by having you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine if this is caused by an issue within your data file or a potential bug within the Quicken program.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account to try adding the account you were unable to add in your original file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Answer ✓
    Hello @bdchalmers,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, I'd like to start off by having you create a new (test) file to see if you experience the same issue in a new file as well. In doing so, we will be able to determine if this is caused by an issue within your data file or a potential bug within the Quicken program.

Follow the steps below to create a test file:
    1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    2. Select New Quicken File.Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows
    3. Click OK.
    4. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to easily be able to tell it apart from your main file. Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for WindowsDon't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.
    5. Sign in with your Quicken ID (if prompted). If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 
    6. Select to not use Mobile (if prompted).
    7. Click Add Account to try adding the account you were unable to add in your original file.

After adding accounts, see if you are experiencing the same problem in this test file. From there, you can then switch back to your original file. 

Follow the steps below to switch files:

1. Click the File menu.
    2. Look near the bottom of the options list.
    3. Select the data file you want to open. 

Quicken will list the most recently opened data files, with a checkmark next to the file you are currently viewing.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• First thanks, I got the same results. Quicken provides the option to call or text, and then I get a call from Microsoft to confirm sign-in, even if I choose text.
  • cglass
    cglass Member
    I am having the same issue with Simplifi.
  • Quicken Anja
    @bdchalmers thank you for following up.

Since you experience the same issue in a test file, this does confirm that the issue is on the financial institution's side and we advise that you contact CarMax directly for further assistance. Note that it may require an escalation to be filed on their end in order to resolve the issue. 

We apologize for any inconvenience! Thank you.

Hello @cglass,

Thank you for visiting the Quicken Community and adding to this conversation.

Since you mentioned that you are using Simplifi, it would be better suited for you to reach out to Simplifi's Community directly with your concerns. Please click here to be redirected to Simplifi's Community.

Alternatively, Simplifi Support can also be contacted.

Thank you!

-Quicken Anja

• COhlandt
    COhlandt Member ✭✭
    I too am having this issue. It looks like Carmax changed their MFA system. Is it possible for Quicken to resolve this issue on behalf of your users?
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @COhlandt,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and adding to this discussion.

As stated in my previous response, this particular issue will require assistance and possible escalation on the financial institution's side. Quicken does not have access to the financial institution's servers in order to have this resolved.

I apologize for the inconvenience! Thank you.

-Quicken Anja

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Just my 2cents' worth …
    I would not bother attempting to activate any loan or mortgage accounts for downloading. I would just simply set them up as "offline" (manual) loan accounts with a Scheduled Reminder to record the monthly payment from your checking account. 
    (Not discussing LOC or HELOC accounts here. They should be set up like credit card accounts)

At least in Quicken for Windows, an online-connected loan or mortgage account does NOT have a transaction register. All data shown in the account come from whatever information the bank downloads to you ... if this process works at all.

As a result of being connected, the scheduled payment transaction reminder cannot transfer the amount of principal paid into the (non existent) account register and must use a category, usually something like Loan:Principal, instead. The category seems to vary with the Loan Type you selected when creating the loan account in Quicken.

Effective with Quicken Windows 2018+
    you can deactivate an online-connected loan account and regain full control over your transaction register.  However, you should still review the Scheduled Reminder (or Memorized Payee List entry) associated with the monthly loan payments to ensure they now transfer Principal to the loan account register and not to a Category.

If you're a Q Mac user, you should be able to do something similar about setting up and maintaining an offline mortgage account together with a correctly calculated Scheduled Transaction Reminder for the monthly payments from your checking account.

• COhlandt
    COhlandt Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    @UKR, thanks for the helpful advice. [Removed - Rant]
  • JimTimM
    JimTimM Member
    I'm having this issue. It used to work. There does not seem to be an easy way to communicate with Carmax. It would be helpful if Quicken took the initiative to fix what must be a global issue.
  • WLang
    WLang Member

None of the above are acceptable answers. I find it hard to understand how two organizations the size of Quicken and Carmax cannot fix a known issue that has persisted for over a year. One is paying the other lots of money for this service and it is being wasted while users remain unhappy.
    Here's an idea. A Quicken engineer calls a CarMax engineer and they fix this two factor crap.

• COhlandt
    COhlandt Member ✭✭
    @WLang, it's not worth complaining. Quicken or whoever moderates these forums will view it as a rant and edit it out of your post, just like they did with my January 10 post.
This discussion has been closed.