Deleting Bank Passwords

Spotteddog
Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
Things have changed for me, and I want to delete a few of my banking passwords and update those banks manually rather than having OSU do it.

I see I have to deactivate those accounts, but does that delete the password on the server?

In other words, how do I delete certain passwords on the server? How can I verify that they are deleted?

Thanks

Q R45.21  Win 11

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Things have changed for me, and I want to delete a few of my banking passwords and update those banks manually rather than having OSU do it.

I see I have to deactivate those accounts, but does that delete the password on the server?

In other words, how do I delete certain passwords on the server? How can I verify that they are deleted?

Thanks

Q R45.21  Win 11

Hello @Spotteddog,                      

We are sorry to hear about this confusion with credentials and online banking services. Thanks for asking about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, where, specifically are you deleting the passwords; are you removing them from the Password Vault? Also, whose 'servers' are you referring to, the bank's? Is there a particular financial institution's accounts that these questions are related to? Knowing the financial institution and the connection method may help us to better answer your questions.

Thanks,

Quicken Jared 
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hi Jared,

Example:

Say I have several banks on OSU. Call them banks A,B,C,D,E,F,G and H. That's 8 banks.

I want to stop using OSU for banks C and F. I don't want to delete them. I will do a manual update for banks C and F.
    And I don't want the passwords available to anyone from this point on, including Quicken password vault. All the others stay on OSU as they are.

So, I deactivate banks C and F. Will deactivating remove those 2 passwords form the password vault, or do I have to do another step? 

Thanks.
  • Quicken Jared
    Hi Jared,

Example:

Say I have several banks on OSU. Call them banks A,B,C,D,E,F,G and H. That's 8 banks.

I want to stop using OSU for banks C and F. I don't want to delete them. I will do a manual update for banks C and F.
    And I don't want the passwords available to anyone from this point on, including Quicken password vault. All the others stay on OSU as they are.

So, I deactivate banks C and F. Will deactivating remove those 2 passwords form the password vault, or do I have to do another step? 

Thanks.
    Hello @Spotteddog,     

Thank you for providing further detail in response to my earlier questions.

To answer your first question: no, deactivating an account will not automatically remove the passwords from the Password Vault. You will need the delete the password yourself by first saving a backup via File > Copy or Backup File... in the upper menu at the top of the screen (just to be safe) then going to Tools > Password Vault > Add or Edit Passwords... Then click on the password you wish to remove, and click Delete Password in the right-hand side of the window that appears.

I hope that is helpful. 

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'll give it a try once I decide exactly what I want to do. 
    Thanks 
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Jared,

I followed your instructions from above. But deleting passwords is not available. It is greyed out.

These are all EWC.
    Those are the ones I want deleted. The ones that are on some server somewhere. 

Isn't it possible to do what I want to do? There must be some way that I can delete these passwords and switch back to manually updating these accounts.

Do I have to "delete the vault and all saved passwords"?

Thanks   
  • Quicken Jared
    edited January 2023
    Jared,

I followed your instructions from above. But deleting passwords is not available. It is greyed out.

These are all EWC.
    Those are the ones I want deleted. The ones that are on some server somewhere. 

Isn't it possible to do what I want to do? There must be some way that I can delete these passwords and switch back to manually updating these accounts.

Do I have to "delete the vault and all saved passwords"?

Thanks   
    Hello @Spotteddog,            

Thanks so much for getting back to me with more information about what you are seeing. We do apologize for any ongoing confusion.

It sounds as though there aren't any passwords saved to the Vault. If that is the case, you should be able to simply Deactivate the accounts by following the steps listed here under Deactivate an Account; no passwords will be saved on Quicken's end once the account is deactivated. Note that you can also Delete the Vault and All Saved Passwords using the steps listed in this Support Article under To delete the Password Vault if that makes you feel more secure, although this is not necessary.

Let us know if this works for you.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Jared,

I finished deactivating the accounts I wanted to deactivate.
    Everything looks fine, except for one thing.

Most of the accounts, say "No (Activate downloads)", which is normal. But 2 of the accounts say, "Not Available". The "Not Available" accounts are credit cards.  

Does that sound right?

Thanks
  • Quicken Jared
    Jared,

I finished deactivating the accounts I wanted to deactivate.
    Everything looks fine, except for one thing.

Most of the accounts, say "No (Activate downloads)", which is normal. But 2 of the accounts say, "Not Available". The "Not Available" accounts are credit cards.  

Does that sound right?

Thanks
    Hello @Spotteddog,          

Thanks for letting me know about this new message you are seeing.

Is there any way you could provide screenshots of what you're seeing - with personal information redacted as necessary? You can follow the steps explained in this FAQ in order to do this. Also note that you may drag and drop your images into your comment in order to submit images, as well. 

I look forward to hearing back from you about this.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    When I look on OSU, all the accounts show   "No    (Activate downloads)" which is what they should say, except 2 accounts say, "Not Available".
    That's the messages. A screen shot wouldn't show you anything more.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I think some clarifications need to be mentioned here.
    1. As of a year or so ago, only Direct Connect account passwords are stored in the Password Vault.
    2. Express Web Connect passwords are stored on the Intuit server and there isn't any direct way to delete them.  The "assumption" is that if you deactivate your Express Web Connect account that Intuit will delete such information, but I have never seen any conformation on this from Quicken Inc.
    3. Express Web Connect + doesn't use passwords, and as such there isn't any password to delete.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    P.S. The safest way to handle this to change both the username and password for the accounts in question.

Note the reason for not just changing the password is because for Express Web Connect accounts that Intuit doesn't get the message are closed it might still try to update them in the background and as such cause password failures.  By changing the username any failures will not be associated with your account.
    Signature:
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris,

I used a popular password manager for years. Due to the hacking problems, they have been having, I moved to another password manager over the last week in 2022.

I spent a week, off and on, changing all my passwords, including all the passwords used for OSU.

I am aware how EWC works, and I am aware that those passwords are kept on an Intuit server. I can't imagine that there is no way for a user to delete them.
    I already deactivated all my financial accounts, assuming I would, then, be able to delete all my passwords. 

So, it looks like I would have to reactivate all my Q accounts, change all the usernames and passwords on Q and at the banks, deactivate all my Q accounts, then go back to the banks and change all my usernames and passwords again. That's a lot of unnecessary, time-consuming work.  

Quicken needs to look into the fact that the user has no control over their passwords and usernames.
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    I still need help with this, please. I would appreciate it.

I just tried talking to a very rude, ignorant support op (Danny) via chat. He didn't know what express web connect was and knew nothing about the password vault. I tried to explain that the passwords were on an Intuit server, not the password vault. He insisted I had to contact Intuit and ended the chat.  

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I can't imagine that there is no way for a user to delete them.
    There isn't way for the user to delete the usernames and passwords off of the Intuit server other than deactivating the account for downloading and hoping that will get Intuit do delete them.  The only other possibility is to contact Quicken support and get them to tell Intuit to do it.  Personally, I doubt that will get any results, at least not anything "certain".

So, it looks like I would have to reactivate all my Q accounts, change all the usernames and passwords on Q and at the banks, deactivate all my Q accounts, then go back to the banks and change all my usernames and passwords again. That's a lot of unnecessary, time-consuming work.  
    Why would you do that?  I think I didn't make something clear; you should change the usernames and passwords at the financial institution, not in Quicken.  Reactivating the accounts for downloading would get you anything.  Either the usernames and passwords were removed when you first deactivated or not.  And frankly it doesn't matter if you change the usernames and passwords at the financial institution. Intuit or anyone else that has those old usernames and passwords won't be able to access your account.
    Signature:
  • Spotteddog
    Spotteddog Member ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for all the help. 

My original question:

"In other words, how do I delete certain passwords on the server? How can I verify that they are deleted?"

I didn't know that is impossible to do. 

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.