Q2017 - How do I get back into my files?

davenport49
davenport49 Member
:# I have been running Quicken 2017 Deluxe for Windows. After my computer crashed, I had to reinstall. Now I can't get back to my home screen with my account. There's got to be a way to get back into my data!

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you have a copy of the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI file, you can't.

See: 
    Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee - Page 5 — Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • I found the file. But nothing changes when I open Quicken. Suggestions?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found the file. But nothing changes when I open Quicken. Suggestions?
    Where did you find the file? On the hard drive of the old, crashed computer?
    You need to find a way to recover this file from the old hard drive and copy it over the same file on the new computer.
  • Thanks, I did. But I still can't access my data.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where did you get the idea that a new computer was involved?  The OP stated that a reinstall was done, not a new computer.
    @davenport49, what BUILD of Q2017 are you running after the reinstall?  You should be on R20.5 or R20.6 if you can get it. 
    If you're not there, you can download and then install that release from here: https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2017-patches.html

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Greg_the_Geek
    @NotACPA, I never said a new computer was involved. All I said was the OP needed to get the C:\ProgramData\Quicken\Config\QUICKEN.INI file from the original Quicken installation. I posted the link to the discussion about getting non-subscription versions of Quicken to function. You need that file in addition to the latest patch.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Greg_the_Geek  Sorry, maybe I misunderstood when the link you posted was for "old to new computer".
    But, why wouldn't that file remain from the prior installation or be created by the re-install?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Greg_the_Geek
    I'm assuming the OP had to reinstall Windows so that file would be gone.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m assuming even just a Quicken reinstall will update the .ini file and force a Quicken ID login to confirm you have a valid license. Quicken Inc has again opted for a less friendly approach for former customers by blocking pre-subscription versions from signing in with their Quicken ID. So pre-subscription versions can no longer be successfully installed or reinstalled. 

Which is why I have a copy of the .ini from my currently functioning QW2017 install safely backed up in multiple locations.  

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• This is what the INI file says: Version=26,Quicken 2017
    I don't know where I would find the BUILD for this. I am downloading the R20.5 patch now.
    How should I proceed?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please start by telling us what happened after the computer crash. Did you get a new computer? Reinstall Windows on the old computer? 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    :# I have been running Quicken 2017 Deluxe for Windows. After my computer crashed… 
    Yeah… please expand as to what you did exactly after the crash… there is an old original Quicken file that is key - if you just did a “install” that old original file is gone…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• I realize through all this discussion my mistake. Windows 10 was acting up, so I reinstalled while keeping my files on the computer. If I had realized that Quicken was intact, I could have opened the program and put it back on the "Start" menu. But instead I reinstalled Quicken from the installation disc. I've tried recreating the INI file using the one on my wife's computer as a template. No luck. So, I guess I'm done. I have no interest in migrating my data to the "cloud" and being held hostage to pay a ransom for my information for the rest of my life. Hopefully there's a stand-alone alternative to Quicken out there somewhere. If not, oh well. "Got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now."

I thank everyone who's been a part of this discussion and offered help.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Does Quicken 2017 function on your wife's computer? If so, you can't recreate the INI file, you need to copy it from her computer to yours. You also need to install the latest Mondo patch from https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2017-patches.html

FWIW, Quicken Subscription is NOT cloud based if you don't enable Quicken Mobile or Quicken on the Web. It's still the same desktop program as Quicken 2017. Also, you can find discounts for Quicken by checking 3rd party retailers such as Amazon, Staples, Cost, etc.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I realize through all this discussion my mistake. Windows 10 was acting up, so I reinstalled while keeping my files on the computer. If I had realized that Quicken was intact, I could have opened the program and put it back on the "Start" menu. But instead I reinstalled Quicken from the installation disc. I've tried recreating the INI file using the one on my wife's computer as a template. No luck. So, I guess I'm done. I have no interest in migrating my data to the "cloud" and being held hostage to pay a ransom for my information for the rest of my life. Hopefully there's a stand-alone alternative to Quicken out there somewhere. If not, oh well. "Got along without you before I met you, gonna get along without you now."

I thank everyone who's been a part of this discussion and offered help.
    I think you might have a misunderstanding about Quicken Subscription.  There is a lot of misinformation floating around on the web that Quicken is now a Cloud-based software and that, as noted by @Greg_the_Geek , is simply not true.  It is still a computer-based, stand-alone platform and is not "cloud" based.  And it can be used without having any online services turned on so none of your financial data is anywhere but on your local hard drive. 
    You will have a Quicken Cloud Account but if you don't use any online services then what the Cloud Account mostly is mostly used for is to validate that you have a valid licensed software, to communicate from your Quicken.com account to your installation which edition (Starter, Deluxe, Premier, Home & Business) you are subscribed to so it will know which functions are to be turned on/off (it's a common software for all editions), the status of your subscription, it will notify you of when a new version is available for downloading/updating to and perhaps a few other non-personal, non-financial things. 
    You can try out Quicken Subscription for 30 days.  If within 30 days you decide you do not like it for any reason you can cancel your subscription and get a full refund.
    Quicken.com often runs nice discounts for new subscribers (40% off sometimes).  You can also shop around with retailers to see if they have any better pricing offers....just make sure you get an activation code if you buy from them.
    If you do decide to keep the subscription, you will be notified a little before the subscription expires and will be asked if you want to renew your subscription. 
    If you decide not to resubscribe, you can continue to use the software manually (like you have been with Quicken 2017) for as long as your system supports it (exception...Quicken Starter becomes read-only).  But you should note that about 20%-25% of your Quicken screen will be taken up by a banner reminding you to resubscribe and that banner cannot be removed without resubscribing.  That banner bothers some people but not everyone.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Nope, she's running an older version on Windows 8. Observation re: subscription still holds. Thanks anyway.
  • Thank you, Boatnmaniac, for the information. It does give me something to ponder. I'll have to think about it some more.
This discussion has been closed.