Quicken sign in hanging

DeeGee1
DeeGee1 Member ✭✭
When I tried to update one of my accounts (download transactions), got error about Quicken online service being down and to try again in 10 minutes. When I tried again, got a blank Quicken login dialog that refused to go away after clicking the close button many times. I read in another post about signing out through Edit > Preferences, which I did, but now when I launch the Quicken app, it brings up a blank screen that has nothing but the File and Help menus. (Running Quicken on Windows 11.) What else can I try that will not cause any loss of data?
Tagged:

Comments

• Hello @DeeGee1,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue. 

To start with, I suggest that you please try validating and/or super validating your data file. However, I do recommend that you first save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate
    1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
    If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:
    1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Please let me know how this goes. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• DeeGee1
    DeeGee1 Member ✭✭
    Hi, Jasmine: Thank you for responding. I'm actually wondering whether there's a problem on Quicken's end. I've tried signing in on quicken.com, and all I get is a blank browser window (I tried different browsers and cleared all browser data).

Because of the website issue, I'm skeptical that the problem is with my Quicken file, but I did try the validation step. (I was unable to back up my file first, unfortunately, because that option is not available on the very limited File and Help menus that are appearing with this blank Quicken window when I open Quicken -- so I can only hope that the automatic backup Quicken made this morning before this issue occurred is adequate). That series of steps found a small error (an invalid category, apparently, though I haven't had any problems with Quicken in recent months and haven't added any categories) but did not resolve the issue.

I then tried the supervalidate. It found no errors, and when I reopened Quicken after a minute, I still had the same issue.

Another thing I should point out is that when I launch Quicken, I very briefly see my dashboard before the blank page takes over the whole application, which I'm guessing is the failing login check.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @DeeGee1

If you haven't tried this already, I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in.  This process will refresh your registration token. However, before you take the steps outlined below, first Backup your Quicken datafile, just in case. 

Here are the steps you'll need to take

1) Go to "Edit" > "Preferences";

2) At the bottom of the list - Select "Quicken ID & Cloud accounts";

3) Click on "Sign in as a different user" them follow the prompts to "Sign Out"

4) Then sign back in by using your Quicken ID (which is your email address) and then enter your password.

Let me know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• DeeGee1
    DeeGee1 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I tried all of those steps already. Signing out from Edit > Preferences is actually what got me into this mess in the first place. Before I did that, at least I could access my data, other than being able to update/download transactions.

Is anyone else seeing the problem with quicken.com bringing up a blank page when you try to sign in there? I can't help but think that's the core of the problem.
  • I have tried for 2 days to open my application & it hangs every time
  • Hello @DeeGee1,

Thanks for providing more information and for attempting those troubleshooting steps. 

After looking into your situation further, it is recommended to reach out to Quicken Support for further assistance as they can walk you through troubleshooting steps in real time and escalate the situation if needed. 

The Quicken Support phone number can be found through this link here. Phone support is available from 5:00 am PT to 5:00 pm PT, Monday through Friday. However, in honor of Martin Luther King Jr. Day, Quicken Support will be closed on Monday 1/16/23. Normal Support and hours will resume on Tuesday 1/16/23.

I apologize that we could not be of more assistance. 

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• DeeGee1
    DeeGee1 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I'm posting the solution here for others' reference. A recent Windows 11 update must have reset my security settings. I did a network reset, after which I was able to go to quicken.com and sign in there, which was the first sign that the issue must have been with Windows. I then launched Quicken on my computer, and then Quicken showed me this message: "Windows Defender Firewall has blocked some features of Windows host process (Rundll32) on all public and private networks." Once I chose the option to allow the host process to communicate on my private and public networks, the issue disappeared.
This discussion has been closed.