Is it possible to safely rename both .QDF and .QDF-backup files?

deex2
deex2 Member ✭✭
The name of my current file has gotten kind of wonky due to having to restore and use a copy.... I'm wondering if there is a way to rename the file so that I might start fresh in 2023? And if I am able to do this are there any side effects that I should know about?

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @deex2,

The short answer is - yes, you can change a Quicken datafile to whatever name you want to use.  Quicken doesn't know or care what name you use (as long as it is within the general parameters. You will just need to remember (i.e. write down so you don't forget) when you changed the name and what the original name was.  You could need that information if you need to restore from a datafile (which had a different name) dated prior to your file-change date. The actual datafile won't be affected by a name change - it will still open in Quicken (subject only to password requirements) and proper extension.

Let me know if you have any followups.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I've renamed my main and backup files many times over the years.  Some say there should be no spaces used in the file names but I include spaces all the time.  Some also say to limit the number of characters to a really low number like 16 but most of my main and backup files range from 30-50 characters. 
    An example of how I name files:  Quicken Data File_name of person_1_version number.QDF.  The "1" in there will change a few times during the year.  Each time I make a change, such as fix a certain problem or update the version, I will change the number to 2, 3, 4....and so on.  I put the person's name in the file name because I manage the finances for 2 other family member plus my mother's estate.  Not everyone will want or need to put the person' name in the file name.
    And regarding the "side effects":  I never had any that I have been able to identify.  I'm a Quicken user since 2009 and this has pretty much been my naming protocol ever since starting.
    Oh, and I have Quicken set to automatically backup up the data file when I close each session, I have it set to save the last 35 back-up files and I save the last back up file of each file name.  Since the main file name is used for the backup file name, it makes it really easy to find a backup file from before a version change or before a "fix" that I'd made I ever need to do that.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    So you only rename the DATA file which is the QDF correct or did you have to rename the "back up" files associated with it to?
  • deex2
    deex2 Member ✭✭
    FrankX, what do you mean "...The actual datafile won't be affected by a name change..."
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Hi again @deex2,

I probably should explain...

Your Question 1 - "the DATA file which is the QDF correct"?   Answer - Yes, that is correct.

Question 2 - "what do you mean "...The actual datafile..."  Answer - I could have said "the datafile" or "your datafile" or "any datafile" and all would have been correct.  I used "actual" to differentiate from other datafiles that you might be using (e.g. a datafile for your spouse or child, etc.).  The bottom line is that Quicken (the application) doesn't care what name you give to the file and won't be affected or concerned by the filenames you use.  Just be careful that you know which files are which.

And, yes - I would strongly suggest that you rename any (or at least the most recent related backup files), so that you don't get confused if you need to go to one or more of those in the future.

Take care,

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    My advice, keep it short, 8 characters or less, and definitely NO space " " just before the ".QDF".
    Don't worry about renaming your old backups, if you ever need to restore one of them, you can rename it then.  The new backups will have the new name.
    Years ago, I named mine current.qdf and I would then name the one I used to pull my tax reports from something like tax2022.qdf.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.