I don't want to do a Quicken Update. How do I stop saying NO! every time I open Quicken?

bethchorba
bethchorba Member ✭✭
Seems every time I do a Quicken Update, it messes up the whole account. So I am not going to renew my subscription and will just do everything maually; I don't want any updates.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are talking about One Step Update (downloading transactions from Financial Institutions) occurring every time you open Quicken, then it sounds like you might have your preferences set to do that.  To turn this off go to:  Edit > Preferences > Startup > make sure the box for Download transactions when Quicken starts is unchecked > OK.
    Did this resolve the issue for you?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• bethchorba
    bethchorba Member ✭✭
    Hi. Thanks but that's not what I was asking, or trying to ask. I don't want to do any more updates to the Quicken software. I don't plan to renew my subscription; I've had too many instances where my whole Quicken has been messed up after doing an update. I am manually reconciling my account. But now, every time I open my Quicken, I get a message that there is a Quicken Update so I just click on Remind Me Later. But it's constant. How do I stop that Message?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @bethchorba

Unfortunately, you cannot "stop" that message from popping-up, the best you can do is what you've already done - i.e. prevent the automatic download of those new versions.  

Sorry.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Boatnmaniac
    @bethchorba - To add to what @Frankx mentioned, once your subscription does expire, a banner that takes up about 25% of the Quicken screen will also be present with a message reminding you to resubscribe.  This banner can only be removed by resubscribing.
    I should also mention that if your subscription is for Starter edition, your Quicken will become read-only.  But if your subscription is Deluxe, Premier or Home & Business you will be able to continue using it manually...just with that banner that will not go away unless you resubscribe.

• Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023
    @bethchorba - I just thought of something you might want to try to stop the "new update" prompt messages from popping up.  It's no guarantee that it will work but it would be worth trying.
    • Open your Firewall Advanced Settings.
    • Click on Outbound Rules.
    • Find and double click on QuickenPatch.exe.
    • On the General tab uncheck the box for Enabled.
    • Click on Apply and then click on OK.
    This will stop Quicken from being able to check for software updates.  But I do not know if it will stop the prompts.  You will need to try this out to see if it will do what you want.

If you do try this out, make sure you remember what was done.  If you do later decide to renew your subscription you will want to re-Enable it or you will not be able to check for updated versions.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac that isn't going to work.  First off, OuickenPatch.exe shouldn't already be in the firewall settings since it isn't blocked and by default all programs are allowed to make outbound connections. One would have to add a new rule.

And if you do this is the result:

What's more, if you select Close, Quicken will not start.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Boatnmaniac that isn't going to work.  First off, OuickenPatch.exe shouldn't already be in the firewall settings since it isn't blocked and by default all programs are allowed to make outbound connections. One would have to add a new rule.

And if you do this is the result:

What's more, if you select Close, Quicken will not start.
    A while back I got tired of Quicken frequently overriding my UAC settings and automatically updating my Quicken version without my approval.  I don't remember if I added QuickenPatch.exe to my Firewall outbound rules at that time or not but I re-enabled it when the Community Alert on this issue said it was resolved....and my UAC settings have not been overridden since.
    Anyway, during the time QuickenPatch.exe was not enabled, I did sometimes get that popup and would close it.  But it never closed Quicken for me...just closed that popup.
    I decided to test this just now and disabled QuickenPatch.exe in my Firewall.  I did not get this popup when I re-opened Quicken.  I ran OSU and still did not get this popup.   Then I thought for sure I would get the popup if I were to click on Check for Updates...but no popup...and no message that a new version is available (it is because I am still running R44.20).
    I then added Block the Connection in my Firewall.  No different.  No popup, no message of a new version being available.
    Maybe this is because I had run Quicken and OSU earlier this morning?  But I had closed Quicken afterward.  This test was done after reopening Quicken and using file that had not been used in a while.  Not sure why you get different results than I did.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac I don't consider the notice during One Step Update as something that should be blocked and as such wasn't working on that one.

If you go into your Quicken.ini file, you will see a Periodic_last_update date.  Change that date to say 1/1/2023 and then start Quicken.  This will cause Quicken to check for updates.  This is when I got the failure above with the firewall blocking Quicken Update.exe.
    Signature:
  • Boatnmaniac
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Boatnmaniac I don't consider the notice during One Step Update as something that should be blocked and as such wasn't working on that one.

If you go into your Quicken.ini file, you will see a Periodic_last_update date.  Change that date to say 1/1/2023 and then start Quicken.  This will cause Quicken to check for updates.  This is when I got the failure above with the firewall blocking Quicken Update.exe.
    Thanks for the additional information.  Instead of editing the Quicking.ini file I will wait until tomorrow and report back here what happens.

• Boatnmaniac
    Chris_QPW said:

This morning I opened Quicken and ran OSU. 
    • No issues and that popup did not come up. 
    • OSU ran well with no error messages or popups of any kind.
    • I did get a notice in the OSU Summary that an update for Quicken was available (to R46.12) which kind of surprised me. 
    • I then confirmed that QuickenPatch.exe is still disabled and blocked in my Firewall settings.
    • I checked the Quicken.ini file and it showed Periodic_last_update was dated 1/16/2023 (yesterday) so it did not update to 1/17/2023 as I had expected it would.
    • Closed Quicken.
    Then, in the order shown, I:
    • Edited the Quicken.ini file to change the Periodic_last_update date from 1/16/2023 to 1/1/2023 and saved it.
    • Opened Quicken and a test file that had not been run in a few days.  As the file was opening it quickly flashed that popup (not for more than 1 second) before it closed on its own.  I did not need to click on anything and Quicken remained open.
    • OSU ran well with no error messages or popups of any kind.
    • I did get a notice in the OSU Summary that an update for Quicken was available (to R46.12).  Surprised about that, again.
    • I reconfirmed that QuickenPatch.exe is still disabled and blocked.
    • The Quicken.ini file's Periodic_last_update was updated from 1/1/2023 to 1/17/2023.
    This pretty closely reflects my experiences from when I had QuickenPatch.exe disabled/blocked for at least a month last summer/fall. 

I'm not sure why we get different results.  Maybe there is something else at play with your system/installation than with mine?

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know.  Personally, I'm on the latest update, and even if I wasn't, clicking on OK once to start Quicken wouldn't bother me.
    Signature:
  • Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about all the things mentioned here but I recently had problems with the R46.9 and 46.12 updates which update automatically when opening Quicken. I reinstalled the R45.21 update from the Quicken website and the turned my UAC up to full level and now it asks me if I want to let Quicken update to R46.12 and I just say no and I can stay on the R45.21 version until the get the newer glitches fixed. Every other feature in the program works with UAC on full.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Dave335 said:
    I'm not sure about all the things mentioned here but I recently had problems with the R46.9 and 46.12 updates which update automatically when opening Quicken. I reinstalled the R45.21 update from the Quicken website and the turned my UAC up to full level and now it asks me if I want to let Quicken update to R46.12 and I just say no and I can stay on the R45.21 version until the get the newer glitches fixed. Every other feature in the program works with UAC on full.
    There was an issue last year where Quicken updates would blow past the UAC settings and update the version without getting the user's approval to do so.  There was an Alert posted about this last August and it was marked as resolved in November: RESOLVED 11/08/22 Quicken updates bypassing Windows settings.
    Because of this I (and some others) decided to disable access to the Internet by QuickenPatch.exe which stopped Quicken from being able to confirm when a new version was released and, therefore, from automatically updating the Quicken version.  It worked really well but it meant that we needed to manually check on Quicken.com or in the Product Releases and Announcements in this Community for new updates info and then manually update the version by downloading and installing the Mondo Patch if/when we wanted to.
    Once the issue was announced as resolved, I re-enabled QuickenPatch.exe and it now works as it is supposed to and Quicken no longer blows past the UAC settings. 
    Anyway, the reason why I brought up disabling QuickenPatch.exe is that the question was asked about how to stop Quicken from constantly prompting to update the version.  Disabling this file in the Firewall settings successfully stopped Quicken from prompting me to update the version for at least a month last fall (in retrospect I'm now thinking I had it disabled for 2+ months).

• bethchorba
    bethchorba Member ✭✭
    So you're saying that if I do the QuickenPatch.exe thing, Quicken will stop with the An Update is Available every time I open my Quicken? When I actually did do the last Quicken update, it totally wrecked my Quicken account; luckily I had backed my Quicken up before I performed the update. Now, I just prefer to use Quicken manually, no connections with banks, no updates.
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited January 2023
    So you're saying that if I do the QuickenPatch.exe thing, Quicken will stop with the An Update is Available every time I open my Quicken? When I actually did do the last Quicken update, it totally wrecked my Quicken account; luckily I had backed my Quicken up before I performed the update. Now, I just prefer to use Quicken manually, no connections with banks, no updates.
    That is a suggestion I had made because it was successful for me.  But as @Chris_QPW mentioned above, he got a very different result than I have.  I'm assuming it will be successful for you, too, but you will need to try it out for yourself to confirm. 
    Also as mentioned earlier, I would also make sure that the Windows User Account Control (UAC) setting is set to Always Notify which should require you to either approve or decline to perform just about software update.   This is what the UAC setting view looks like:

This discussion has been closed.