Reports & Tags

jim0812
jim0812 Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Reports (Windows)
Under my reports which were saved under an old version of Quicken, can I get tags to show on these old reports. I now have Quicken Deluxe.

Comments

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm, were the reports saved under the Starter edition?
    Have you gone in the customizing the reports, if so, do you see the tags tab?

I would first try customizing them to see if the tags tab is there, and if that doesn't work then I would try recreating the report from scratch.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    I did start to create my report from scratch under Quicken Deluxe and STILL I can not get a column labeled TAG to appear. When I click on the little gear to customize my report, TAG still does not show. It's the usual, date, amount, etc.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Maybe it has changed over from Starter to Deluxe.  Try logging out and back in with the same Quicken Id:
    Edit -> Preferences -> Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts -> Sign in as a different user

If that doesn't work, I suggest you contact Quicken support:
    Official Quicken® Support - Phone, Chat, or Community
    Signature:
  • jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    I've contacted Quicken Support twice. Had to hold on for 45 minutes. The last contact was on this "TAG" issue. That's when I went to the Quicken Community. I appreciate you replying to my messages, but your suggestions aren't helping. I'm new to the Quicken Community. Is my problem being seen by other members?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Anyone who visits Community can see your posts.

Did you try using one of the built-in reports under the Reports menu? What built-in report are you starting with when you create a new report?

Not all reports can be customized to include the Tag column. Reports that can include a Tag column in Deluxe and above include
    Spending
      Itemized Categories
      Itemized Payees
      Itemized Tags
    Banking
      Transaction

QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the base report your are trying to customize as you say you did attempt to start from scratch?  Customizing a report using Tags does not necessarily mean there are columns for each tag.  Only a few reports offer tags by column.  Cash Flow by Tag, for example.

(Yes, other members are seeing your posts.  Those that choose to.)     
  • jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    I'm using the 3 you listed above. When I click on the little gear to customize my report, I see Date, Account, Num, Category, etc., but NOT TAG. Why?
  • Jim_Harman
    If you go to Help > About Quicken, does it say Deluxe at the top? If it says Starter, that means Quicken thinks you are using the Starter Edition, which does not support Tags in reports.

And what does it say for the Version?
  • jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    Quicken Deluxe. In October, 2022 I just upgraded from my 2015 Quicken Deluxe that was no longer supported to Quicken Starter Edition. Quicken Support yesterday told me that TAG is not supported in Reports. They said I had to have Quicken Deluxe. So, I got it yesterday. It does not let me put a column for TAG in any of the 3 Sending Reports.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Do you have a backup from Quicken 2015 before you converted to Quicken Subscription/Starter edition?

If so, I would try converting that again.

Also, a quicker check might be to just create new data file and see if it shows the tags.
    Signature:
  • Jim_Harman
    OK, so you have upgraded from Starter to Deluxe. 

I suggest you go to Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID and Cloud Accounts then click on Sign in as a different user. Sign out then sign back in using your same Quicken ID and password, as @Chris_QPW recommended above. This should refresh your credentials.

You may also need to exit and restart Quicken.

If that does not work, you will need to take up the issue with Quicken Support again.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And just to make sure we are all on the same page, this is what the customize dialog should look like.

Signature:
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this what you are talking about -- No tag column across the header for a report?

Click the Customize gear icon and have the Tag Column added. May appear as Chris just indicated for other reports.

• jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    When I go to Help, About, it shows Quicken Deluxe, Version 46.12. I repeat, when I open the little gear, under columns it does NOT show TAG. It's not there!
  • Jim_Harman
    jim0812 said:
    When I go to Help, About, it shows Quicken Deluxe, Version 46.12. I repeat, when I open the little gear, under columns it does NOT show TAG. It's not there!
    And if you sign out of Quicken and back in again then exit and restart Quicken as described above, does that fix the problem?
  • jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    No, it does not. I'm on the phone right now with Quicken Support (only had to hold for 3 minutes instead of 45!). Anyway, he had me to completely sign out and sign back in. Still the same problem. He has mean on hold for about the 6th time trying to figure out my problem.
    You have Quicken Deluxe, right? You showed me the columns on your Quicken Report. It shows TAG. Why in the world mine doesn't show TAG is, evidently, a complete mystery. Jaio finally came back and we tried copying a new template. No difference. He said they were about to close and gave me a ticket number. I asked was there a Senior Technical Advisor and he said I'd have to call back. I asked could he transfer me. He said no.
    Is there a Senior Technical person in the Quicken Community that might be able to help me?
    But, anyway, I appreciate your replies.
  • Jim_Harman
    One other thing you can try while you are waiting for Quicken Support to re-open would be to create a new data file.

In the new file, create an offline banking account with a few transactions that iinclude Tags, then open a report and see if the Tag column is available.

This will tell if the issue is related to your data file or to your Quicken installation.

If you still don't have a Tag column, I think the next step would be to uninstall and reinstall Quicken.
  • jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    In talking with Jonathan yesterday, Quicken Support, we did the following:
    1) Uninstalled/Reinstalled Quicken Deluxe: Tag column still not appearing
    2) Created a new Test File: Tag column appeared!
    3) Imported my Data to the new file: Alas, Tag Column not there.
    Jonathan didn't know what else to do.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Exactly how was #3 performed?
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Let me state my thinking on this.  You converted a Quicken 2015 data file (which had tags) with Quicken Subscription Starter Edition.  It shouldn't have messed up the tags, but clearly it did.  So, it seems to me that now that you have Quicken Subscription Deluxe Edition, and it is working fine in a new data file, then what is needed is to do the conversion again from the Quicken 2015 data file.  Logically this should work.

If it doesn't the only other option, I can think of is to do an export/import of your data in QIF format.  This might be very hard to do.  Actually, before that if you don't have any investment accounts you can try exporting/importing with the Quicken Transfer Format (QXF file).

Anyways here is my information on doing a QIF export/import.
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/changetransfers.html
    Signature:
  • jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    To answer your question, I don't really remember. But, I just off the phone with Kevin, Quicken Support. We basically did the same thing except Kevin did a little something different. Anyway, now with my Data, I see the Tag column. The only thing is, I have to create new reports. But, at least Tag is now there with my Data in the newly created file.
    Thanks to everyone for your replies.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you got it worked out.  That was really strange thing, that shouldn't have happened.
    Signature:
  • jim0812
    jim0812 Member ✭✭
    It's not as difficult as I thought it would be to create my reports. It's rather easy. I appreciate your suggestion, but, at this point, I don't need to do anything further. I'm finally satisfied with my upgrade to the current version of Quicken Deluxe. I appreciate you taking the time to offer me suggestions. Have a good weekend!
This discussion has been closed.