2012 H&B upgrade

Forrestr1987
Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
Currently using on old laptop, 2012 Home and Business with a very old & big, data file and interested in upgrading Quicken and laptop. I don't use business functions anymore. Can I upgrade to something less that the new H&B? I had problems with the previous file conversion & I'm very nervous about converting the file. Any recommendations on specs for new laptop? Thanks
Tagged:

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would suggest trying the free Quicken Deluxe 2013 that's available from https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    Am I right that there is no file conversion required from a 2012 data file?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Yes, that's correct.
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    Would you please tell me more about installing the Quicken 13? Will it overwrite my current 2012 version? Is it a subscription product? Should I wait until I get a new laptop? My current laptop is old and only has Windows 7. What specifications should I look for on a new laptop? Thank you,
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will overwrite your Q2012 PROGRAM.  Your data will be untouched ... but you could always take a backup beforehand to be safe.
    Q2013 is pre-subscription.
    Look for Win 10 or 11 on the new laptop.  I'm unsure as to whether QW2013 will run on Win7 ... but you can try it and see.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Greg_the_Geek
    I believe Quicken 2013 will run on Windows 7. I would wait until you get a new laptop to install 2013.
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    I guess I did not ask the right question. My 2012 H&B works fine on my windows 7 laptop, and I have the original cd, so no problem.
    It also worked on Windows 11. But an error message came up every time I exited the program on Windows 11. But the changes were saved, and next time I could open it ok and use the file fine. But I always got the error message when exiting the program. On the Windows 11 machine, It "felt" like the computer was so fast that it shutdown the program before the data file could properly close. (Just my impression) Next time, program worked, file opened fine with any changes. I only got the error when the program closed. I do not know exactly what the error message was.
    This made me very nervous so I just went back to the Windows 7 machine. I really need to replace the old laptop.
    So I'm wondering if I can eliminate the error message if I just go to the new subscription version on a new Windows 11 laptop. Hope this explanation makes sense
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    What is the error message?

Strickly speaking there isn't any reason why Quicken 2012 wouldn't run on Windows 11, and as such there is probably something else going wrong.  And without knowing what that is, and maybe even knowing it, it would be just a guess if Quicken Subscription would fix the problem or not.

EDIT:  Just so you know, the free version of Quicken 2013, is the Deluxe edition.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    Quicken 12 ran fine in Windows 11, except for the data error on closing the program. Is there a way to create a new data file with accounts and balances to start over with ongoing transactions? I guess I could just leave the historical data in the old file. Thanks for your patience. I have been a Quicken user for decades and just kept the same data file.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    As @Chris_QPW asked, what is the error message? Without the actual error message, we can't really offer any advice.
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    I think I will just get a new Windows 11 laptop and take it from there. It is difficult to find one with an internal cd/dvd player so that I can install from my original disk. Do you know if it is possible to copy the program file from the disk to a USB drive? Again thanks for your patience and advice for this old school antique user.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes, you can just copy all the files from a CD to a USB drive and install from it on the new machine.
    Note you will want to update it after the install with the latest version for that year.
    If you don't have the patch install you can find it here (R7 Mondo):
    https://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quicken-2012-patches.html
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will also state that if you have set Quicken to do a backup on the exit, and you have your Quicken data file in a "cloud folder" like OneDrive (where it is in the Documents/Quicken folder and that folder is being backed up), the sync to OneDrive can conflict with Quicken reopening the data file because the cloud service has locked it for syncing.
    Signature:
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    Thanks I backup by just manually copying the data file to both an external Passport hard drive and out to Goodle Drive.

Do you have any recommendations for specs for a 17.3 inch display laptop?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited January 2023
    I guess I did not ask the right question. My 2012 H&B works fine on my windows 7 laptop, and I have the original cd, so no problem.
    It also worked on Windows 11. But an error message came up every time I exited the program on Windows 11. But the changes were saved, and next time I could open it ok and use the file fine. But I always got the error message when exiting the program. On the Windows 11 machine, It "felt" like the computer was so fast that it shutdown the program before the data file could properly close. (Just my impression) Next time, program worked, file opened fine with any changes. I only got the error when the program closed. I do not know exactly what the error message was.
    This made me very nervous so I just went back to the Windows 7 machine. I really need to replace the old laptop.
    So I'm wondering if I can eliminate the error message if I just go to the new subscription version on a new Windows 11 laptop. Hope this explanation makes sense
    How did you run Quicken 2012 on Windows 11 if you need to buy a Windows 11 laptop? The error message sounds like you put your Quicken data file in a cloud folder like @Chris_QPW suggested. Microsoft enables OneDrive by default.
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    I tried out the software on a hot shot gaming laptop that I purchased and then returned to the seller because I did not like the physical set up of the gaming machine. Too much bling and pizazz for my basic needs
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    Hi again. I just received the new Windows 11 laptop. I was able to install Quicken 2012 H&B and load my data file. Data file loads fine, and I can add and transactions. But, I do still get the same error message when it close it. The new transaction is in the register.

"Quicken has encountered a problem and needs to close." It refers to error code 7044.

I also tried to install the patch as recommended, but I'm not sure if it worked.

Thanks
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hmm.  It sounds like the patch installed fine but didn't solve the problem.
    Now that is see the actual error message, I'm not really sure what is going on there.

You could try uninstalling and reinstalling, and then patching, but that is just a wild guess.
    Signature:
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    I do not get the error on either win7 machines. Should I try the Quicken 13?
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I do not get the error on either win7 machines. Should I try the Quicken 13?
    You could certainly try Quicken 2013 but note that the install above is for the Deluxe Edition, not the Home & Business Edition.
    Signature:
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    Is there a way to create a new data file with just the last couple years transactions and current balances?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is there a way to create a new data file with just the last couple years transactions and current balances?
    If you're up and running on Q 2013, try the File Menu's File Operations / Year End Copy ... very carefully, making sure you have one or more good backups to fall back to if things don't go as expected.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again. I just received the new Windows 11 laptop. I was able to install Quicken 2012 H&B and load my data file. Data file loads fine, and I can add and transactions. But, I do still get the same error message when it close it. The new transaction is in the register.

"Quicken has encountered a problem and needs to close." It refers to error code 7044.

I also tried to install the patch as recommended, but I'm not sure if it worked.

Thanks

If you're still on Q 2012, did you download and install the recommended patch file? Click Help / About Quicken and it should show you the release level.
    Either with Q 2012 or 2013 ... Error codes 6xxx and 7xxx can sometimes be fixed by resetting a configuration file, as follows:

How to Repair Printer Setup:

Try resetting your printer definitions in Quicken and then redefine the printer:

For Quicken for Windows versions 2009 and older:

• Close Quicken
    • Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename the file
      C:\Users\_username_\AppData\Roaming\Intuit\Quicken\Config\WPR.DAT to WPR.OLD
    • Now set up your printer again, as described below. The WPR.DAT file will be recreated next time you start Quicken.

For Quicken for Windows 2010 until Quicken Subscription (US, 2021) R33:

• Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Select only "Reset Quicken Printer Settings", then click OK.
    • Now set up your printer (see below)

For Quicken for Windows Subscription (US, 2021) R34 and newer:

• Click File / Validate and Repair. Select only "Reset Quicken Printer Settings", then click OK.
    • Now set up your printer (see below)

Printer Setup (all versions):

• Close and restart Quicken (might not be necessary, but it can't hurt)
    • In Quicken click File / Printer Setup / For Printing  and visit all selections as needed
      (a) for Reports,
      (b) for Checks,
      (c) for Invoices [Quicken HB&R users only]
      and define your printer.

If you're printing checks, do not forget to select the correct check style.

• For 3-per-page personal size checks choose "Wallet Checks (Check 21 ...)", not "Wallet Checks" (unless you still use some very old stock from many years ago)
    • For 3-per-page business size checks choose "Standard Checks", not "Voucher Checks".
    • For 1-per-page business size checks with 2 stubs choose "Voucher Checks".
    • Canadian users need to choose between 2 layout styles, e.g., old style "Voucher" vs. new style "Voucher - Image ready".

Additional things to check:

• If you are printing a logo (image) on your checks, click the Logo button and make sure that your logo image file is still where Quicken expects it to be.
    • Also choose the proper features for printing partial pages when using 3-per-page stock.
    • Users of continuous forms on dot matrix printers: Be sure to select "Continuous Forms" instead of "Page-oriented".
    • Laser / inkjet sheet-fed printers: select paper size 8.5*11", standard paper. Do not use any "Auto detect" or photo print settings.
    • If checks print OK on one computer but do not align properly on another computer, compare printer settings, printer port selections and installed printer driver versions.
    • Download and install the latest printer driver directly from the manufacturer's website. The driver that comes with your Windows installation may not be up to date.
    • Make sure that at least one of your printers is marked as Windows Default Printer ... doesn't have to be the one you want to use with Quicken, but you need at least one marked Default Printer
    • In some of the newer versions of Windows 10 you may also need to do this:
      Go into Windows Settings or Control Panel, Printers & Scanners.
      Uncheck "Let Windows manage my default printer".
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    Great suggestions. I will work on it and update my post. Thank you
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    One other thought, it might be where your data file is stored.  Try creating a C:\Quicken folder and moving your data file to there using Windows File Explorer, and then double click on the data file to open it.
    Signature:
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    Ah ha, I got the same error that "Quicken has encountered an error and needs to close" immediately when I clicked on "reset all Quicken printer settings"
  • Forrestr1987
    Forrestr1987 Member ✭✭
    I was able to change the printer, but he program stll closes and refers to error 7034
This discussion has been closed.