What are the components of Deposits/Withdrawals in the Investment Activity Report?

rbw-1
rbw-1 Member ✭✭
edited February 2023 in Reports (Windows)
This report shows the change in investments over a given time period, divided into Deposits/Withdrawals, Investment Income and Unrealized Gain. I can recreate the investing income numbers in that report, using the internal categories (eg, _IntInc). I cannot recreate the amounts shown for Deposits and Withdrawals, either by category or transaction type. The amounts do not seem to bear any relationship to actual transactions over the course of the period, and so it is unclear to me what information the amounts shown are intended to convey.

What goes into the deposits and withdrawal amounts? Can I recreate them using categories, transaction types or some other classification?

Comments

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't tell you absolutely all the components.  The most obvious are deposits into the account(s) and withdrawals from.  Those are pretty much all I see in my report of that style.  

I suggest to investigate what you might be seeing, focus on a specific short time frame and one specific account.  Then click on one of the values to drill down to a list of transaction in that period.  While I would have expected that drill down to only be the transactions for that select value, it appears to be all the transactions for that period.  But with a short enough period, you should see few enough transactions that you can figure out what fed your Deposit and Withdrawal values,  

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never really used the Investment Activity Report but, stimulated by your question, I ran that report using the default year to date time period and then ran an Investment Transactions Report for the same period.  I was able to tie the two together perfectly.
    I was able to do that by selecting what "Actions" I wanted to see in the Investment Transactions Report.  The deposit amount tied perfectly to an action of "Cash" and the withdrawal amount tied perfectly to an action of XOut.  This was pretty easy to do given the short time period involved so with a longer period I'd expect I might have to select more that one Action to get it to work, but clearly it can be done by selecting an Action or Actions in the Investment Transactions Report.
  • rbw-1
    rbw-1 Member ✭✭
    Tom Young- Thanks. I've tried to work with as little as a quarter to match things up (using Actions, which I called transaction types), but haven't been successful. The difference isn't huge, but it also isn't a couple of cents, either.

Q_Lurker- Thanks. I tried to reduce the period to make it clearer; that didn't help. That the drill-down is the entire report period, instead of a single interval, is poor design on Quicken's part. The difference between what I can calculate and what is reported is small, but can't be intuitively tied to other transactions.
  • Tom Young
    Absent errors in the file you certainly SHOULD be able to tie this information back to the Investment Transactions Report.  Maybe try the shortest period possible where Deposits and Withdrawals show up in the Activity Report and see if you can figure it out? If even that doesn't work I'd probably try a Copy and Validate to see if that makes it work.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Investing Activity report, like many other reports, you *should* be able to double click on any of the numbers to see the transactions that add up to that number.

With that report, however, it looks like double clicking on the  Deposits or Withdrawals numbers selects the whole date range and all the transactions. Double clicking on other numbers in the report select other incorrect groupings of transactions.

I don't often use this report and I don't know how long this bug has been around. I am running Premier R46.12.

If you Run the Spending > Itemized Categories report and select just your investing accounts, you should be able to see the deposit and withdrawal transactions.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Q_Lurker- Thanks. I tried to reduce the period to make it clearer; that didn't help. That the drill-down is the entire report period, instead of a single interval, is poor design on Quicken's part. 
    I was reducing the time frame of the entire activity report to make the data manageable.  Use the Custom date specification.
  • rbw-1
    rbw-1 Member ✭✭
    Q_Lurker- Thank you. Unfortunately, the issue remains for me, because while the report period can be narrowed down to a single period, I think it is still limited to showing only categories. I've used the Investment Transaction report to bring data into Excel, so I can subtotal by Category, Action and other criteria, but I still can't match what Quicken reports.
  • Tom Young
    " I've used the Investment Transaction report to bring data into Excel, so I can subtotal by Category, Action and other criteria, but I still can't match what Quicken reports."
    And no combination of Categories or combination of Actions works either?  Both reports should be comprised of the same transactions so something really should fit together.
  • rbw-1
    rbw-1 Member ✭✭
    Tom Young- Def, it's very strange. I can foot to the investment income numbers to the penny, but I can't find the logic to foot to the deposit and withdrawal ones. I wonder if there's something going on in realized or unrealized gain, maybe a portion being incorrectly included in deposits or withdrawals, that is affecting those numbers.
  • Tom Young
    "I wonder if there's something going on in realized or unrealized gain, maybe a portion being incorrectly included in deposits or withdrawals, that is affecting those numbers."
    You can easily check that.  Simply calculate the unrealized gain or loss at the beginning and end of the period and subtract one number from the other.  It should match what' on the report.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rbw-1 said:
    Q_Lurker- Thank you. Unfortunately, the issue remains for me, because while the report period can be narrowed down to a single period, I think it is still limited to showing only categories. I've used the Investment Transaction report to bring data into Excel, so I can subtotal by Category, Action and other criteria, but I still can't match what Quicken reports.
    For the Investment Activity report, the single period can be as short as one day.  In which case the drill down transaction report is also for that short of a period.  Much more manageable.  

I'm not sure what the second clause refers to.   "I think it is still limited to showing only categories."  When I drill down, uncategorized transactions appear in the drill-down Transaction report.   In my case, they are RtrnCap transactions that all have values but for some reason get totaled as $0 and are not included in the upper level activity report. 

I also do not see anything unusual in Bought and Sold transactions.

Does this account involve paycheck transactions (401k contribs, employer matches, etc.)?

Is it on the deposit side or the withdrawal side you can't get to match? 

Can you duplicate any of this in a test file?   

• rbw-1
    rbw-1 Member ✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Shortening the time periods is a good idea- will try that when I've got more time. None of the investment accounts contain payroll transactions. Neither deposits nor withdrawals sum to a recognizable numbers, over quarters I might start at weeks to see if I can find one that works, and compare it to a transaction report to see what's off.

Limited to categories refers to the options to sum in the report once it's been generated- account, date, category, etc. There's no option for Action. That's why I went to the transaction report to do the summing (not date or account) myself.

Tom Young- Thanks- will do the comparison as I have more time to spend on this.

Thanks again to you both for taking time to think about this situation.
  • bytenc
    bytenc Member
    My investment transaction report does not show any of the transactions where the "ACTION" is "WITHDRAWAL". Does anyone know how to get "WITHDRAWAL"'s?
  • Tom Young
    That's picked up as a "Cash" action.
This discussion has been closed.