How do I change SWVXX Balance from part of Cash Balance to Mutual Fund

KCSWA
KCSWA Member
At one time, Quicken asked if I wanted to consider my SWVXX shares as cash. I must have responded yes but its causing difficulties in tracking and reconciling the account. I want SWVXX to be shown as a normal mutual fund (shares, price, etc). I have searched for a setter to undo this decision to no avail. How do I change it back?
Tagged:

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @KCSWA

I just want to make sure I understand what you did.  Is it true that these "SWVXX shares" are now in a Quicken account that has no other "investments", or (if false) are the shares part of a brokerage account with Schwab that has other investments? If both questions are false, can you explain exactly which type of Quicken account holds these shares?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    I have the same question as @KCSWA.  @Frankx this happens in an investment account linked to Charles Schwab.  (SWVXX is a Charles Schwab MMF.). The first time you purchase funds in SWVXX, QWin asks if you want to track it as cash or as a security.  Once you've answered, there appears to be no way to change your answer and/or switch your decision.

For two of my accounts, I had answered 'yes' track as a security, and all is fine and my available cash does not reflect the SWVXX.  For another retirement account, I accidentally said 'no', as KCSWA, and I faked things but entering buys and sells of SWVXX to force my cash balance to be correct... yet for that I account, I keep getting a Quicken warning that the shares in my account do not match the shares reported by Schwab.  I've just been living with that, but since KCSWA asked... i'm interested in the answer as well :-)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• KCSWA
    KCSWA Member
    The account is a standard post tax investment account containing a few other mutual funds (VTIP, VCSH, VDC, VGT - which update perfectly), the SWVXX shares (which don’t show in the Holdings view) and a tiny amount of cash ($3.61).
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If in fact, you did tell Quicken to treat SWVXX as cash you should be able to change that on the Account Details -> Online Services tab.

Note there has been various threads that stated that Schwab changed how SWVXX was reported, and as such you might not have this choice.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Something I just noticed not too long ago is a new(er) Preference that might be applicable here, too.  I'm not sure when this was added.  I have not tested it so I don't know exactly how this works or what it does but perhaps you might want to try checking the box and see what it does.  Make sure to backup your data file first if you do try doing this.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac interesting!  I never noticed that option.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    @Boatnmaniac interesting!  I never noticed that option.
    Same with me.  I first saw it a couple of weeks ago.  No idea when it was added as a preference but I am still running R44.20 which was the last version release of September so it couldn't have happened any later than that.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    @Chris_QPW  and @Boatnmaniac
    Thanks so much for both of your posts above... I had never seen/noticed the reset option on the Online Services tab ... and would never have found that Preferences checkbox... having set my preferences a long time ago and only looking at them again if we get an announcement that there's something new there.

Thanks!

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

This discussion has been closed.