"Move Transactions" Missing

Stephen Oliva
Stephen Oliva Member ✭✭
There is no "Move Transactions" selection in the gear icon of my IRAs, and that I need to combine two IRAs. How to combine the transactions into one account?

Answers

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see "Move Transactions" in all my IRA registers. What version of Quicken are you running?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Stephen Oliva
    Stephen Oliva Member ✭✭
    Version R46.12 (on windows 11)
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    You don't see Move Transactions? What "edition" of Quicken do you have, Starter, Deluxe, Premier, HB&R?

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    "Move Transactions" appears under the Gear icon in the upper right of the investment account.
    "Shares Transferred between accounts" appears under the "Enter Transactions" button.
    For combining accounts, I'd use the "Shares Transferred ..." method.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I noticed that Move Transactions also in the register context menu for investment accounts.

It brings up the same Move Transactions window that you would get from the same selection on the gear icon menu.

On the subject of using whether to use Move Transactions or the Shares Transfered action I would say there are pluses and minuses to both.

With the Shares Transfered action is going to use remove shares in the old account and add shares in the new account.  Your number of shares, and cost basis will be correct, but there are other performance indicators that will be reset because they are based on the transactions in a given account.  For instance, the "Return" field and every other performance indicator that is dependent on that field.

If you use Move Transactions, there isn't any "history" left in the old account.  So, there isn't any way to know that X of the transactions were at one time in another account or maybe even another financial institution.  This could be important if you are doing taxes and need to know what tax reportable transactions go with a given account/financial institution.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Stephen Oliva
    Stephen Oliva Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone for the responses. "Move Transactions" is grayed out in the register context menu,and does not exist under the gear icon. The account is a "Coverdell ESA" type IRA (i.e. 529 Plan). Last year the account had both "A" shares and "C" chares for two a 11-12 year old mutual funds. At the end of last year, after my grandson's birthday the shares were moved to a 13-14 year old mutual fund and I asked that all funds in the "C" class fund be moved into the "A" class fund. Thus, there are four IRAs now with one showing all current activity and the others showing past activity, and I want to merge everything. The account tracking methods are set to "simple".
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    The account tracking methods are set to "simple".
    We should have asked about this; it is your problem. With Simple Investing, you don't get a register full of transactions, just an overview of the account showing holdings. You need Complete Investing to see transactions.
    Never having used Simple except for experimentation, I don't know how much effort you'll need to switch to Complete and get your transactions into registers. Try it in a copy of your data file and see if you can get to a good state.

This discussion has been closed.