IRR in Investment Performance Report vs in IRR in Portolio View for same timeframe not equal

leishirsute
leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2023 in Reports (Windows)
I'm sure I don't understand the difference between the IRR in the Investment Performance Report for an account using data between 1/1/2017  and 12/31/2022 (5 years) versus the "Avg. Annual Return (%) 5-year" (IRR) in the Portfolio view with an As of date 12/31/2022 for the same account.
Shouldn't these IRR values be equal between the 2 reports?  They are different by more than 2%.

Is there any description how the IRR values in these 2 reports are calculated?
Which source is closer to the actual IRR for the account?

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

Answers

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the securities tabs to see if the "no security includes cash" option is the same for both.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    Also make sure the securities selected for the Portfolio view are the same as for the Investment Performance Report. In the Portfolio views, new securities are not included by default.

And go to the Preferences for the Portfolio view and make sure the starting date is before 1/1/2017.

The results should be the same and should be the same as Excel's XIRR function if you give it the same data.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just went through a similar exercise with 3 of my most active Accounts and in all cases the Portfolio View number agreed to the Performance Report number.  So that does suggest some set-up (customization) problem between the Portfolio View and the Performance Report.  Make sure what's "feeding" information to the two is exactly the same.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing you can do is to group the view and report by Account and Security to look for and resolve any differences.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Okay,  I will check.  Thanks for confirming that the values should be equal.  I probably left out hidden securities.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2023
    I was using incorrect timeframes.  For the Performance Report I was using 6 years i.e. 1/1/2017 - 12/31/2022 (my math was bad) and comparing to the 5 years average in the Portfolio View. When I corrected the Performance report dates, the IRR's matched.  Thanks.

This discussion has been closed.