Trying to install Quicken for Mac 2017 v4.8.6 on macOS Sierra V10.12.6.

thardy
thardy Member
I'm trying to install Quicken 2017 for Mac V4.8.6 on macOS Sierra V10.12.6. When I select "starting from scratch" and click next I get a blank screen. I have updated both and have reinstalled. Any suggestions?

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't know for sure. I still have a copy of Quicken 2017 on my Mac running macOS Mojave, and it still launches and works. I believe you're likely running into a problem with Quicken 2017 trying to contact a server at Quicken to log in/authenticate your Quicken ID — and that server may no longer be functioning, or has moved to a new URL or software architecture. And if that's the case, you might be out of luck. You're trying to install 6 year-old software with discontinued support from Quicken on a 6+ year-old operating system with discontinued support from Apple. ;)

Do you have any old Quicken 2017 data file or backup of a data file? It's possible if you try starting Quicken by double-clicking on the data file, it will let you open the file. Then, if you want to create a new file, you could try Start for Scratch, although I think that process will always want to authenticate your Quicken ID, and if that system is no longe rain place, it's possible you just can't.

Do you have a very old Mac (iMac or MacBook older than late-2009) which restricts you from upgrading past macOS Sierra?  Just curious; I think your issue is with Quicken 2017, and wondering if it's feasible for you to upgrade to the current Quicken Mac , which would require a more recent operating system. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    This sounds like what is being reported on the Windows side.  Unfortunately, the workaround for Quicken Windows reported in this thread isn't going to work on Quicken Mac.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7918354/migrating-quicken-2017-from-old-to-new-computer-quicken-data-access-guarantee

Actually, thinking about it, the workaround for Quicken Mac might be, not starting from scratch.  If the registration information is in some of the files that make up the Quicken Mac "data file" then copying them over and using them, might allow bypassing the Quicken Id login screen which is there to do the registration.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rachelgomez
    rachelgomez Member ✭✭
    When installing the Subscription Release of Quicken, you simply need to double-click the icon that appears in the install prompt:.

If prompted, enter the administrator's account name and password.
    Double-click the Quicken icon in your Applications folder to launch the program.
    Note: You can uninstall prior versions of Quicken once the new version has been successfully installed. This will not create an issue with your Quicken data.

Troubleshooting
    If you are having issues getting Quicken to install, try restarting your Mac and then attempt the install again.
    If it appears like Quicken isn't opening after completing the install, it could be that the Quicken window is hidden. Hold the control key and click the Quicken icon in the Dock and select Show All Windows. If the Quicken window appears, click it to bring it to the forefront.

Regards,
    Rachel Gomez
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @rachelgomez You replied about Quicken Mac subscription installation, but this question is about Quicken 2017, which pre-dates subscription versions.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.