Restore From Backup Quicken Home Business Rental Property Ver R 46.12 not working

Quicken/Intuit strikes again. I go to use my Quicken Home (see above full details) and it goes into upgrade offer. I decline upgrade offer. I am punished. My data is wiped out. I attempt to restore from backup but the back up does nothing. No data. Data completely wiped out. Anyone know what I have to do to restore from a backup with Quicken Home?

Comments

• Johnp402
    Johnp402 Member
    Note: I called Support But They are closed on Sunday. Tell you to call back during business hours but don't tell you what those hours are.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could try changing the file extension of the backup from .QDF-backup to .QDF and then double clicking to open it directly in Quicken.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Johnp402
    Johnp402 Member
    It does not have .QDF-backup at the end of the file name but the File type is "Quicken QDF Backup". I'm not sure how to change the file type. I went into properties and tried to change it but it did not work. Note: its not in the file name buy file type.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    You need to show file extensions in Windows File Explorer 
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Johnp402, are you showing ANY suffixes in File Explorer?  Or are you hiding them all?
    Because if you're displaying suffixes and there's none on the file then it's probably not a legit Q backup.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Johnp402
    Johnp402 Member
    Update: I had over 1-hour Quicken representative session. The backup is good. But when it is restored no data including Accounts comes over. It goes online to check updates and even when I added a temp account to see if that was a factor, it deleted it when I did a restore from the backup. Quicken. The backup file was checked through "Validate and Repair" with no errors. So this is a big mystery. Updated to the latest version of Quicken Home, Business, and Renal Property. I asked the representative to call me back after seeing if anyone had this issue. Hopefully, she does. Very frustrating. The inability to restore from a backup is a fundamental component. I have been a user of Quicken since when it was on an Apple IIe. Version 1 (?) It was a stable program simple and without the Cloud which I learned doesn't save your data and apparently not even your settings and accounts. If anyone has a contact at Quicken, I can use the help. I can't reinput my data when I have a backup sitting on my hard drive.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Why do you continue to try to restore your Quicken data file when you can change the file extension and open it directly in Quicken?
  • Johnp402
    Johnp402 Member
    I tried doing it by changing the extension to .QDF and not .QDF Backup and it does the same thing of loading but then asking you to sign in and then asking to Add accounts. Whether you ADD an account as a way of getting past that page and/or you close that window, the result is the same there are no Accounts listed and no data retrieved. That is why I continue to try to restore a backup. The tech support didn't even suggest you option. You may be correct in your approach. I remember hitting the file and Quicken loading it rather than running the program for the icon. Like a PDF file opening in the default PDF reader. Believe me, I will try almost anything to restore my data. But I suspect there is something else going on here that is stopping the restoration of a backup. I hope someone figures it out soon. I've tried to get my head around what it could be but have not determined what the glitch is that is stopping it.
  • Johnp402
    Johnp402 Member
    Observation. Although you buy a stand-alone version of Quicken, it is not stand-alone. It goes to the web for data everytime you start the program. So it complicates the troubleshooting of issues like mine. You are dealing with another layer of complexity. It is not just the program on your computer but the "Cloud" sticking its dynamic into the troubleshooting. Why should I have to sign into my Quicken account when I bought a stand-alone version of Quicken? Why can't a restoration of a backup just work? Restore from Backup has been around for decades.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, Quicken goes to the cloud to check the level of your subscription. Have you tried opening any older backups?
  • Johnp402
    Johnp402 Member
    Old backups also load as "blank" no accounts, no data. Nobody has called me back from Intuit / Quicken.
  • Johnp402
    Johnp402 Member
    Is anyone from Intuit / Quicken going to call me or did the Support person who tried to help me but could not figure out why an update caused the loss of my data and a data backup won't work?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Johnp402 - Did this problem start right after you updated Quicken to R46.12?  Or did it start earlier or later than that?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Greg_the_Geek
    FWIW, Intuit hasn't owned Quicken in at least 6 years. My last 2 suggestions would be to try starting Windows in Safe Mode with Networking and then opening your Quicken data file. Second, you could try creating a new Windows user account, running Quicken and restoring a backup.
This discussion has been closed.