Creating a social club account

Options
I just became the treasurer of a club in my community. It is a small club with about 40 to 50 members. We are a non-profit, have annual membership dues, have a bank account and expenses for meetings, activities, etc.

I need help in setting up Quicken for the club.

Can I find somewhere templates, ideas, recommendations.

Many thanks,

jorge

Best Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I am,  and have been  in  the past, a non-profit Treasurer.
    The 1st thing to do is to  create, in Q, all of the accounts that you want to track.  This would be things  for which you get statements from a financial institution.  When creating your checking account,  since it's still early in 2023, use the 12/31/22 amount as the "Opening Balance".
    Then, create your categories.  This would be the things that you receive money for (dues?) or spend money on (newsletters?).
    Then start recording your transactions.  If you get VERY ambitious, you can start tracking the dues paid by each member and whether they've paid for the current period.  Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that since my National organization handles the dues.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You might want to check into using TAGS for the members.  Then you could sort reports by Tag.  For my husband's business I use Tags for each job.  Although if you have the Home & Business version it might have a function for that like using Clients or Customers.  

Or you would have to set up each member as an Account.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are no templates, but the VERY FIRST thing you do is File->New Quicken file.
    The non-profit should also consider getting its own computer to use Quicken on and its own copy of Quicken so that you don't have issues later on when someone else takes over the treasurer position and they don't use/have Quicken.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jorgegaj
    jorgegaj Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you very much for your prompt response. I have already created a New Quicken file.
    I was hoping that someone that already is a treasure for a club could give me some tips in how to set up things.

Unfortunately, at this time we cannot afford a computer. Maybe in the near future.

Regards,

jorge
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I am,  and have been  in  the past, a non-profit Treasurer.
    The 1st thing to do is to  create, in Q, all of the accounts that you want to track.  This would be things  for which you get statements from a financial institution.  When creating your checking account,  since it's still early in 2023, use the 12/31/22 amount as the "Opening Balance".
    Then, create your categories.  This would be the things that you receive money for (dues?) or spend money on (newsletters?).
    Then start recording your transactions.  If you get VERY ambitious, you can start tracking the dues paid by each member and whether they've paid for the current period.  Fortunately, I don't have to worry about that since my National organization handles the dues.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You might want to check into using TAGS for the members.  Then you could sort reports by Tag.  For my husband's business I use Tags for each job.  Although if you have the Home & Business version it might have a function for that like using Clients or Customers.  

Or you would have to set up each member as an Account.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jorgegaj
    jorgegaj Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. They are very helpful.
  • jorgegaj
    jorgegaj Member ✭✭
    Options
    I continue to need some assistance and clarifications.
    I started to enter the members of our club as Payees. I have added our bank account.
    My questions is: Am I going on the right directions? After I deposit the checks and the cash for the dues will I be able to see all these transactions?
    Once again, thank you so much for you assistance.
This discussion has been closed.