Main Category options missing when creating subcategory

I want to create a subcategory, but the category I want to use is not listed. I am running Quicken HandB R46.12 (Windows) using crossover on mac.

Comments

• IST
    IST Member ✭✭
    Just to be clear, I am wanting the new category for Lydia's birthday to be placed under "Special Days" with the rest of the family.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @IST,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Based on the 2nd screenshot you provided, I'm seeing that the window title shows as "Edit Category". Based on that, it seems you have selected the "Edit" option on the main category which would explain the issue you are seeing.

Instead, I suggest you navigate back to Tools > Category List, find the main category ("Special Days") and right-click it. After right-clicking, you will see a menu box pop-up. In that menu box, click the New Subcategory option (see below).

After you have clicked New Subcategory, the following window displayed below will open and should be titled as New Category.

The Subcategory of: box and the main category you right-clicked previously should already be preselected in this window. From there, simply enter the new subcategory name and click Save.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    IST said:
    Pics.
    That list of categories to select from (see your 2nd picture) is not sorted strictly alphabetically. It shows Income categories first, sorted alphabetically, with nested subcategories, followed by Expense categories with their nested subcategories.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oh, never mind my earlier comment.
    You've already created a main category, "BL Birthday Lydia".
    Now you want to edit the category and make it a subcategory of "Special Days" ... but you can't. The category "Special Days" does not appear in the Edit Category dialog's pulldown list where one would assume it to be, between "Sales" and "Taxible Benefits" (sic)
    Does that describe the problem? I'm puzzled ... how can that be? Bug? Broken chain in the Category List table?

If you haven't done so already, please do the following actions:

Validate and Supervalidate instructions

First save a backup file prior to performing these steps

Validate: 

1. Click File
    2. Select Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Validate File
    4. If the data file contains investment accounts also select "Rebuild investing lots". If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".
    5. Click OK
    6. Close the Data Log
    7. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    8. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Super Validate:

1. Click File
    2. Press and hold both CTRL and Shift keys while you click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Select Supervalidate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for about 30 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.
  • mhildebr
    mhildebr Member ✭✭
    It sounds like I am having the same problem. I cannot create a subcategory of any expense category. The drop down list only shows income categories. I have updated to the latest Quicken patch file, rebooted and super validated. The problem is still there.
  • I am having the same problem. I worked with tech support for 3 hours yesterday but they finally just had me go back to a backup from 6 weeks ago (where the problem wasn't existing). But now i have to redo all the work i've done on the files for the past 6 weeks!! I think it may have occured BECAUSE of an update or mondo patch because i was having other issues with the program and tech support had me update and do the mondo patch about 4 weeks ago -- the problem with subcategories started after that.
This discussion has been closed.