Demons in my data

Harish88
Harish88 Member ✭✭
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
Suddenly, after years of using Quicken, something very strange is happening to my data. Securities are showing up in the "Holdings" for Investment accounts even though they were closed out years ago. The Securities Value and Cash Balance sometimes show "*****", then suddenly the values reappear. I have run Validate and Repair but sometimes it makes it worse, with even more securities appearing from many years ago. Luckily, I backup every day so can restore, but even the restore sometimes has the aforementioned "****" which the values eventually reappearing. What gives? Satan at work? Thanks very much.

Answers

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The asterisks in a column typically indicate that the column is too narrow to display the value therein.
    Where are you  seeing the closed out positions?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Harish88
    Harish88 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. A bit odd because I didn't get any richer and didn't narrow the columns myself.

I am seeing the closed out positions when I go into the Investment account and click on "Positions". Also, when I run a report on that account, I see the position. However, when I go to the security detail for that position it shows the Buy and the Sell that zeroed out the position.
  • Harish88
    Harish88 Member ✭✭
    Actually, now I went and widened the columns. There is no impact. Still with the "******"
  • Harish88
    Harish88 Member ✭✭
    This is a TD Ameritrade account. Now I am wondering if it's because it's moving to Schwab, the download is being screwed up
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have TD Ameritrade Accounts in my Quicken file and I'm not experiencing the problem you've reported.  I have a feeling that what you're really facing is a corrupt data file.  When you Validated did you first Copy your file and then Validate the copy?  That's generally considered "Best Practices" since Copy does make subtle differences in the data file as a result of its process.
    As this link suggests you might want to contact Official Quicken Support to see if they can help.
  • Harish88
    Harish88 Member ✭✭
    Thank you. No I did not use copy. I will try it with copy.
  • Harish88
    Harish88 Member ✭✭
    Thanks seems to have done the trick. Fingers crossed.
This discussion has been closed.