Fix YTD calculation for moved security

John CA
John CA Member
edited March 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I've seen some discussion on this, but I haven't seen a way to fix it.
I moved a security from one account to another, and now the YTD calculation is way off. It may have been inaccurate before, but now it's completely useless. Quicken seems to have taken the original cost basis and used it as the market price on the date I moved the security.
I looked through the price history for the security, and it hasn't changed.
Anyone know of a way I can fix this?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Where is the YTD number that you are seeing? If it is in an Investing > Portfolio view, what is the exact name of the column you are viewing?

Note that the numbers in the Avg. Annual Return columns are annualized, so for periods of less than one year, the IRR calculation assumes that any changes will continue at the same rate for the rest of the year. This may or may not be a good assumption, depending on the security.

For example, if you have an investment that was worth $1000 at the start of the year and on Feb. 5 (day 36, about 10% of the way through the year, it is worth $1100, the IRR calculation will assume it will be worth about $2,000 at the end of the year, a gain of about 100%.

If this is your situation, please post back for further info.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    How did you move the security?

If you used "Shares Transferred Between Accounts" in Enter Transactions what it does remove the shares in the old account and adds them in the new account.  When adding it does transfer the cost basis, so that part will be correct.  But there are quite a few calculations like ROI and Return YTD that are based on the "Return calculation" that Quicken does, and that is done based on the transactions in that given register.  And since those transactions are in the old account and closed out by the sells, they will not be correct in the new account.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • John CA
    John CA Member
    That is how I moved it, yes. And it is quite simple, a US Treasury bond with no transactions at all after the initial purchase, other than moving it to another account. As you said, the price history is correct in the new account.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    The other way to move a security from one account to another is to select the gear icon menu in the register of the old account and select Move Transactions.  Instead of the removes and the adds it moves the actual transactions, and as such all the information about the returns and such is persevered.  There are some downsides to this.  One is what I mentioned that it will only really work if you move the whole history/security.  The other is that the full history is in the new account.  That means that if you wanted for instance to see the tax ramifications for last year for instance you have to know that you have to run the report with new account not the old one.

Also, since you already did it the other way you would have to restore back to before that was done, or you could delete all the removes in the old account and the adds in the new one.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • John CA
    John CA Member
    Thank you , Chris. I deleted the removes and adds and moved the transactions. It was exactly the right thing for this situation.
This discussion has been closed.