Reports with Comments

Options
Robert Keesecker
Robert Keesecker Member ✭✭✭
edited March 2023 in Reports (Windows)
I would like to be able to produce an account summary report which includes ALL the information I have put in the Comments box.  I have tried every which way from Sunday, but this cannot be done.
  1. All produced reports truncate the information in the Comments box.  The Comments box allows more characters than can be included in a PDF report.
  2. The Account List allows for exporting to a CSV file, Text file, or tab-delimited (Excel compatible) disk file. However, each of these winds up carrying over the Comments box full text to another column in either csv or xlsx documents because of the character limits in the destination file. This includes the text-delimited information copied and pasted into Excel.
I understand Quicken is not a word processor.  And yet, there is no way to produce an account summary document with all the information Quicken allows for each account.

If/when something happens to me, I want members of my extended family to have the Quicken file information in its entirety, printed out for easy access and understanding.

I cannot do that.  Am I missing something?  I doubt that because I have tried over and over, and it is already too complicated, even for me who understands Quicken after many years of use.  It has always been a source of frustration.  I have inquired about it over the years to the former company Intuit, but as most of you know, the Intuit support people for Quicken did not know what they were talking about.  The new company is excellent, but I thought I'd post in the community first.

Thanks

Comments

• Quicken Jared
    Quicken Jared Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would like to be able to produce an account summary report which includes ALL the information I have put in the Comments box.  I have tried every which way from Sunday, but this cannot be done.
    1. All produced reports truncate the information in the Comments box.  The Comments box allows more characters than can be included in a PDF report.
    2. The Account List allows for exporting to a CSV file, Text file, or tab-delimited (Excel compatible) disk file. However, each of these winds up carrying over the Comments box full text to another column in either csv or xlsx documents because of the character limits in the destination file. This includes the text-delimited information copied and pasted into Excel.
    I understand Quicken is not a word processor.  And yet, there is no way to produce an account summary document with all the information Quicken allows for each account.

If/when something happens to me, I want members of my extended family to have the Quicken file information in its entirety, printed out for easy access and understanding.

I cannot do that.  Am I missing something?  I doubt that because I have tried over and over, and it is already too complicated, even for me who understands Quicken after many years of use.  It has always been a source of frustration.  I have inquired about it over the years to the former company Intuit, but as most of you know, the Intuit support people for Quicken did not know what they were talking about.  The new company is excellent, but I thought I'd post in the community first.

Thanks
    Hello @Robert Keesecker,     

We are sorry to hear about any confusion regarding the process of adding information to Reports. Thank you for speaking with us about this here on the Quicken Community. 

First, when you mention a 'comments box,' are you referring to the addition of a Note to a transaction, or a Memo? Is there any way you could provide screenshots of what you're seeing - with personal information redacted as necessary? You can follow the steps explained in this FAQ in order to do this. Also note that you may drag and drop your images into your comment in order to submit images, as well. 

I look forward to seeing your answer.

Thank you,

Quicken Jared 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Quicken Jared
    I think @Robert Keesecker is referring to Account level Comments, which can be entered in the Comments box in the Account Details. The account comments can be printed when you go to the Account List and select "Include additional info when printing" under Options then print the account list. When printed, the Comments are formatted as one line and limited to the width of the page.

One way to attach more details to an account would be to create a document about the account and attach it using Account Attachment from the account's gear menu. 

QWin Premier subscription
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How many characters of comments are you typically entering for your accounts?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Robert Keesecker
    Options
    Thanks all for your replies.  Sorry for my slow reply.  @Jim_Harman has it right.  It is the Comments box in Account Details.  Regarding how many characters I am entering in that Comments box, I have not counted because it is irrelevant.  The issue is that if I fill the Comments box with as many characters as it allows, the problems in my original post occur.

@Jim_Harman, I don't find the phrase "Account Attachment" anywhere and I don't find a gear menu for a specific account.  Account Details and Account List don't have a gear menu.

• Robert Keesecker
    Options
    I'll just submit either a support inquiry or a suggested improvement to Quicken.  Thanks all.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry about the delayed response.

When viewing an account's register, there will be a gear shaped icon near the top right. Click on this and select Account Attachments. This will allow you to add one or more documents to your Quicken file associated with the account.

A copy of this document will be stored along with your Quicken file. If you update the document, you should delete the old copy and add the revised version.

You can view these attachments by returning to the Account Attachments page
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.