Downloading Starter Quicken - after expiration (edit)

DTR
DTR Member
My subscription has ended and i want to roll back to a previous version. the site gives me download file but they seem to be of a file type noted as .dmg
Is this correct?

Best Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The Starter edition goes into read-only mode with an expired subscription.  Deluxe edition and above can still be used in manual entry mode, but with a couple of ads on the main Quicken window that take up about 20% of the window.
    See the Data Access Guarantee link in the article that @splasher posted.
    Or here is the direct link: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    DTR said:
    Thanks for the information. Clears most of my confusion up but not the frustration that you have to have a subscription to access and amend your data!!!!
    But that is only if you buy the bargain basement Starter Edition.  This is not Quicken of Old, where you could buy a new version every 3 years to keep online banking downloads functioning and where you could use it for as long as it worked on your computers OS without nag ads to renew.  This is subscription Quicken which has restrictions on its usage when the subscription expires.  Your Start Edition goes into READ-ONLY mode, making it purely a report generator and your data is frozen in time.
    If you had read the Terms of Use User Agreement, you would have known that going in, BUT hardly anybody ever REALLY READS it, so you are not alone.
    One way around it is to renew, make your tweaks to the data and then request a refund.  There is a 30 day return/refund policy: Quicken Return Policy  Don't go 31 days, there is no mercy on the 30 days.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    DTR said:   I hate this subscription rip. Things have changed and not for the benefit of customers.
    It all depends how much you value using Quicken - for me, running Deluxe is worth the $5/month ($60/yr)
    For some, with very little to track, download, and report - it may not be worth it...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

• DTR
    DTR Member
    Thanks for that, I was using a Mac file instead of the windows one. I thought I had been following the windows link. Duh!
    However I still have not solved my problem in that I can’t use my quicken starter pack as I keep getting the renew menu and I don’t want to renew again but just enter the last few entries of 2022 and that will be it.
    I’ve tried following the instructions on the quicken site and they are not clear and I can’t get them to work
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The Starter edition goes into read-only mode with an expired subscription.  Deluxe edition and above can still be used in manual entry mode, but with a couple of ads on the main Quicken window that take up about 20% of the window.
    See the Data Access Guarantee link in the article that @splasher posted.
    Or here is the direct link: https://www.quicken.com/support/what-quicken-data-access-guarantee
    Signature:
  • DTR
    DTR Member
    Thanks for the information. Clears most of my confusion up but not the frustration that you have to have a subscription to access and amend your data!!!!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    DTR said:
    But that is only if you buy the bargain basement Starter Edition.  This is not Quicken of Old, where you could buy a new version every 3 years to keep online banking downloads functioning and where you could use it for as long as it worked on your computers OS without nag ads to renew.  This is subscription Quicken which has restrictions on its usage when the subscription expires.  Your Start Edition goes into READ-ONLY mode, making it purely a report generator and your data is frozen in time.
    If you had read the Terms of Use User Agreement, you would have known that going in, BUT hardly anybody ever REALLY READS it, so you are not alone.
    One way around it is to renew, make your tweaks to the data and then request a refund.  There is a 30 day return/refund policy: Quicken Return Policy  Don't go 31 days, there is no mercy on the 30 days.

• DTR
    DTR Member
    You are right who reads the thousands of pages of the terms and conditions. I hate this subscription rip. Things have changed and not for the benefit of customers. I’ve used quicken for over 10 years but I think I am done with them.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    DTR said:   I hate this subscription rip. Things have changed and not for the benefit of customers.
    It all depends how much you value using Quicken - for me, running Deluxe is worth the $5/month ($60/yr)
    For some, with very little to track, download, and report - it may not be worth it...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    DTR said:
    You are right who reads the thousands of pages of the terms and conditions. I hate this subscription rip. Things have changed and not for the benefit of customers. I’ve used quicken for over 10 years but I think I am done with them.
    It depends on what you consider the benefit for customers.  You could have a business model that doesn't make enough money, and they go out of business.  And then you have no customers.
    Signature:
  • DTR
    DTR Member
    Correct, but quicken is no start up . It is part of a major conglomerate who just exploit their customers because there is no competition left!!
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What major conglomerate is Quicken part of?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    DTR said: Correct, but quicken is no start up . It is part of a major conglomerate who just exploit their customers because there is no competition left!!
    It is a small company - that Intuit didn't want anymore - so various "investors" have kept it afloat.... for now -
    As I mentioned above - it is well worth the $5/month to have a software program like Quicken exist....
    I have all my financials - Chase, Schwab, Fidelity, TRowe, Ally, & Vanguard - setup with Quicken...
    If you don't want to pay for that service - and want it for free - I guess you'll need to look elsewhere -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    DTR said:
    Correct, but quicken is no start up . It is part of a major conglomerate who just exploit their customers because there is no competition left!!
    As the others have stated Quicken Inc is a small company, Intuit sold Quicken off years ago.
    What's more look at your own statement "because there is no competition left".  And why would that be true?
    The most logical answer is that others couldn't make enough money and got out of this market.  That was definitely the case for Microsoft.

To me it is simple, if you don't think Quicken is worth $5 a month, or can't afford it, then clearly you don't really need Quicken and shouldn't definitely quit using it and look elsewhere.  And the part about not being able to afford it might sound cruel but let's face it, if you are in that situation your finances have to be "simple", and what is provided by the financial should be just fine.  Or for that matter, some of the free spreadsheets will work.  You can even use the free Quicken 2013 Deluxe that is available.  There isn't anything in this where Quicken Inc is taking advantage of "poor consumers".
    Signature:
  • DTR
    DTR Member
    I have 4 different editions of quicken starting back in 2006 so I have supported them for a while. As for the 2013 free edition I doubt if it is backward compatible as all the older versions I have are not able to accept my 2022 backups.
This discussion has been closed.