Why won't my category transactions show up in my budget?

>:) I have been trying to do a budget for 2023. I tried using this function years ago but had little luck then either. Anyhow, I have a category for utilities and it has 4 subcategories. However, no matter where I select the UTILITIES category to show from, personal expenses, expenses, etc., Quicken will not show me my transactions for the category. However, if I go to a budget report, voila, they are all there! So what the heck? I have exited and restarted Quicken to see if that helps, but no such luck. This is beyond frustrating since this is a very important category to have included in my budget! What to do about this???

Best Answer

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    @Joyfulskip1 - Quicken just released Hot Fix R47.15 which sounds like it might include a fix for the issue you are experiencing.  The R47.XX Release Announcement has not yet been updated to include this.  I suggest try updating to it from within Quicken (Help > Check for Updates). 
    It looks like this is a staged release and it is not yet in the R47.XX Announcement (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7928389/windows-r47-xx-release-us).  If updating from within Quicken does not give you the opportunity to update it means they have paused the release because they have met the required quantity of users for the staging. 

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When you look in Tools / Category List and scroll to the Utilities category, what "Category Group" is assigned to Utilities and its subcategories?
    Are these categories marked as "Hide" (hidden)? They shouldn't be ...
    It might help if you captured some screen snapshots to JPG, PNG or GIF file(s) and, using Windows File Explorer dragged the image files into your next comment on this webpage. That might show us what's wrong.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I would also check if all the needed accounts are selected in the Budget view.
    Budget Actions -> Select accounts...
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Boatnmaniac
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    @Joyfulskip1 - Quicken just released Hot Fix R47.15 which sounds like it might include a fix for the issue you are experiencing.  The R47.XX Release Announcement has not yet been updated to include this.  I suggest try updating to it from within Quicken (Help > Check for Updates). 
    It looks like this is a staged release and it is not yet in the R47.XX Announcement (https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7928389/windows-r47-xx-release-us).  If updating from within Quicken does not give you the opportunity to update it means they have paused the release because they have met the required quantity of users for the staging. 

• Joyfulskip1
    Joyfulskip1 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the help!
  • Boatnmaniac
    Thanks for the help!
    You are very welcome.  Have you had a chance to download and install R47.15?  Did it resolve the issue for you?

• Joyfulskip1
    Joyfulskip1 Member ✭✭
    I did, and unfortunately, it has not solved my issue at all. The category shows, but no transactions show for it. Arghhhh!
  • Boatnmaniac
    I did, and unfortunately, it has not solved my issue at all. The category shows, but no transactions show for it. Arghhhh!
    After you updated to R47.15 did you shut down and then reopen Quicken to see if maybe then it resolved the issue?  I don't know if it will help but sometimes closing and reopening Quicken can help complete the version update process.  Heck, I've been known to go a step further and reboot the computer.

• Joyfulskip1
    Joyfulskip1 Member ✭✭
    I dis that too, still no luck!
  • Boatnmaniac
    Sorry but it might be time to, if you have not already done so, to report this issue to Quicken.  They need to be informed that R47.15 does not fix the issue it says it fixes...at least not for you.  That means it probably also does not fix it for some others.
    You can do this via Help > Report a Problem or by phone call or chat (https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support).  If you decide to call or chat with them and if the buttons don't work, check to make sure you are allowing popups for Quicken.com.

This discussion has been closed.