Cut and Paste Transactions

I’ve been using Quicken for 20 years. Recently I spent many frustrating days/weeks trying to track down solutions to multiple problems and issues.
I’ve given up and am starting from scratch with a blank Quicken account.
I’ve added my checking, credit card and investments accounts realizing I’d lose transaction history prior to the last 90 days or so.
I’d like to transfer transactions going back to the beginning of this year from our previous account to our fresh account. I’ve followed Quicken help and online directions to do this but have not been successful.
I am able to copy and paste transactions within either account but not from one to the other.
Can anyone offer suggestions on what I might be doing wrong and how to fix it?
I am using Quicken Deluxe version R47.11 on Windows 11.
Thanks

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe this FAQ will help: FAQ - Moving Transactions

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d like to transfer transactions going back to the beginning of this year from our previous account to our fresh account. I’ve followed Quicken help and online directions to do this but have not been successful. 
    I am able to copy and paste transactions within either account but not from one to the other.

I think every time you used the word “account” in those paragraphs, you meant “file”.  Transferring between accounts in within one file is relatively easy. Transferring between two separate files is relatively difficult and usually involves QIF exporting and importing. 

If you can confirm, you can possibly get better instructions. 

• Faithy T
    Faithy T Member
    Thanks, you're correct. I have two Quicken data files and want to cut and paste transactions from one to the other.
  • DebbieJK
    DebbieJK Member ✭✭
    > @Faithy T said:
    > I’ve been using Quicken for 20 years. Recently I spent many frustrating days/weeks trying to track down solutions to multiple problems and issues.
    > I’ve given up and am starting from scratch with a blank Quicken account.
    > I’ve added my checking, credit card and investments accounts realizing I’d lose transaction history prior to the last 90 days or so.
    > I’d like to transfer transactions going back to the beginning of this year from our previous account to our fresh account. I’ve followed Quicken help and online directions to do this but have not been successful.
    > I am able to copy and paste transactions within either account but not from one to the other.
    > Can anyone offer suggestions on what I might be doing wrong and how to fix it?
    > I am using Quicken Deluxe version R47.11 on Windows 11.
    > Thanks

IT'S NOT YOU, IT'S QUICKEN. Really stinks, their own help file says you are able to transfer MULTIPLE transactions at one time from one data file to another. The tech help used to be sooo good a few years ago - what happened?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is a flaw in Quicken's "paste" logic. You can indeed copy multiple transactions to the Windows clipboard. You can verify this by pasting into Notepad after copying multiple transactions. But when you switch to the second file, Quicken apparently does not check to see whether what's in the clipboard are transactions and does not enable the Paste Transactions command.
    As mentioned above, you can use QIF export/import to get the transactions you want into the new file. This too can be flawed, as transfers between accounts are not always handled correctly. You'll need to eyeball the results and check for duplicate transactions which should have been transfers. If you want to restrict the date range, you can hand-edit the QIF file, which is plain text, to remove unwanted transactions.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.