How would I account for the medicare premium deduction from my Soc. Sec. check?

Options
MrJeff
MrJeff Member
Social Security automatically deducts the medicare part B premium from my monthly check. I record the remaining balance as a deposit but is there a way to account for the premium deduction so that when I run a tax report at the end of the year, the deducted amounts show up?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes. Record the deposit as a split transaction - One split is your gross social security income with a tax line item of Form 1040:Social Security Income, Self or Spouse as appropriate, and the Medicare deductions entered as negative numbers with their own Categories.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • MrJeff
    MrJeff Member
    Options
    Thanks for the reply but I don't seem to be able to do this. Can you walk me through it? (Using, for example, $1,000 for gross soc. sec. income and $100 for the Medicare deduction) What do I enter in the deposit column? Then in the split transaction dialog, what figure do I enter for the social security deposit?
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Enter $900 for the net deposit.  
    1,000 is still the gross Social Security 
    and 100 to medical expense.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023
    Options
    Here is a test example - along with extra entries for possible IRMAA charges - if your AGI is above certain limits.
    A couple of other SS points with Quicken - your SS deposit comes out each month on the same day of the month based upon your last name.  You could therefore setup a manual Quicken Reminder to create the deposit entry shown below.
    For tax reporting - you need to use a Category with the associated Tax Line Item -
    if not already existing - create a new one.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• MrJeff
    MrJeff Member
    Options
    Thanks, everyone!
  • TTSguy
    TTSguy Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    How then do you run a report for net total deposits for the year then? My wife will want to see that.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TTSguy said:
    How then do you run a report for net total deposits for the year then? My wife will want to see that.
    Banking transaction report customized to “Social Security Administration” or however you have that payer identified. You might do that as a listing all deposits (income) subtotaled by Payee or something similar. 
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    TTSguy said:
    Also to help keep the Social Security deposits separate, I have separate Reminders using different Payees for my deposit and my spouse's.
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.