In the checking account sorted by date, deposits are subtracted and payments are added

dtmbf50
dtmbf50 Member
Balances in the checking account are showing that payments are being added and deposits are subtract. Account is sorted by date with the most recent at the bottom. Occurred after the last update on 2/28/2023. Running version 47.15 with a windows subscription. Need help fixing this
Tagged:

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

What color is the font in your latest balance of that register?

How about a screenshot of just the right most columns for Payment, Deposit and Balance?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• dtmbf50
    dtmbf50 Member
    Blue is the color of the last transaction

Have no idea how to attach a screenshot - plus I don't want personal financial data exposed so I scanned( after blacking out personal info) the last 10 transactions, but am unable to attach. An example however is: Balance = 9118.23, payment was 4165 which resulted in a new balance of 13,283.23. So the payment was added to the balance, not subtracted. This only occurs in the checking account. The other accounts are accurate
  • dtmbf50
    dtmbf50 Member
    And to clarify, I sort by date and have no filters. I hand enter all checking account transactions. And when I restored my last backup to try to fix this, it restored with the same issue - i.e. payments are added to balance and deposits are subtracted. This account begins in Quicken in 2006
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You should be able to drag and drop the image file into the text area.

As far as making screenshots, Windows has the Snipping Tool with which you can grab just a region of the screen such as the right most columns like I suggested without showing any personal information.

• dtmbf50
    dtmbf50 Member
    Thanks muchly for the how to snip! Learn something new every day. the image of my checking register is attached so you can see what is occurring. Thanks for any guidance you can give me
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

well that shows you are overdrawn. You must be missing some deposits or your beginning balance got changed or lost. Look back through your entries to see where it went wrong.

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Your checking account is showing the balance in RED numbers, which means that it would be overdrawn and in serious trouble in the real world. Checking accounts should be in the BLACK.

Somewhere along the line you have either entered a HUGE debit(s); lost some deposit(s); or maybe the Opening Balance of the account got changed. Quicken has been known to change the OB of accounts re-setup for downloading, but if you aren't doing downloads, that isn't a likely source of the issue, but check it anyway.

The math is actually very correct, if you are at a negative balance and add a debit (check), the balance will get larger numerically (more negative).

Scroll back through your register to find where the font went from Black to Red, your issue should be before that point if it is a single transaction causing it.

• dtmbf50
    dtmbf50 Member
    I agree with your comments re the math. However, as of 2/19 the checkbook register was spot on, then I updated Quicken and this was the outcome. My account dates back to 2006 with thousand of entries and there is no way - nor enough time or data to track it back. To me this is clearly a Quicken update issue where THEY, not I totally messed up entries or debits and credits. I went back to my 2021paper check registries and they do not come close to the Quicken balances. I did what you suggested and went to the 1st red balance - however, multiple balances prior to that date in black are inaccurate also. And each month I balance the paper checkbook with my bank statement and with Quicken. All 3 are reconciled each month, noted in the paper check registry as balanced, and were accurate as of 2/19. I'm at a loss. I may just go back to 1/1/23, force a recalc by playing with the starting balance so I at least have a clean 2023. If you have any other suggestions I would be happy to try them.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Go look at the Account's Opening Balance and see if that's correct or not. Quicken has been known to change the dollar amount in the Opening Balances of Accounts. If that's the problem, and that's the only problem, then putting that Opening Balance to right should ripple throgh to a current current balance. And if that's the problem be sure and put the CORRECT opening balance amount in the Memo field of that transaction.

• dtmbf50
    dtmbf50 Member
    The account opened in 2006 and it is correct. As I have said, Quicken was perfect and balanced and reconciled until the R47.15 upgrade. And I have no way of going through 17 years of transactions to see where or how the upgrade messed up the account. I keep a fair amount of money in the checking account so the red and black delineation doesn't help much as I found balance errors when the balance was in the black. I know Quicken has had multiple issues with upgrades since they were sold - but this is a biggie to me
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

what about going back to the Backup that R47.15 performed - before it was installed …

ARGHH - wish we could edit quoted text to crop it down to just the specific sentence ….. ARGHH

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• dtmbf50
    dtmbf50 Member
    First thing I did was install a backup - and the register still was inaccurate which I didn't understand at all. So I went back 2 backups, not just 1 and same thing happened. One day I may run report to see if I can spot the duplicates that messed everything up. But in the interests of my mental health I simply went back to 1/1/23 and manually adjusted the balance to reflect what I know is an accurate reconciled balance. It will be some time before I ever update Quicken again!
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You could revert to an earlier release of Quicken using one of the mondo patch releases at this link: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html

Then do the restore.

If you want to control the updates, set you Windows UAC setting to the highest level and you will definitely be asked every time a piece of software wants to update on its own.

This discussion has been closed.