Investment Account cash issue

Dom1
Dom1 Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Investing (Windows)
I have a traditional IRA account where I have been taking distributions since 2019. The account has the following:

5 mutual funds
1 Money Market
1 Settlement Fund

This account shows no cash balance (which is correct) and all balances match the provider website. From this, one would assume the account is A-OK. However, when I run a report the balance in the account is $2,750 higher than what it should be and this appears to be cash.

Any insights?

Thanks

Comments

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

“when I run a report ”

What report? I take it that clicking on the Account's “Holdings” button shows perfect alignment with what's shown at the financial institution holding the account?

• Dom1
    Dom1 Member ✭✭
    It's really any report that is showing account balances. Yes, the holdings look spot on.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

That sounds like some sort of data corruption issue if the dates for the report and the date shown in the Holdings view are the same. What leads you to believe the $2,750 figure is cash?

I'd guess you've run reports in the past that reflected the balance in the Account and that balance agreed to the Holdings view number? If that's the case, then you might try that exercise - report amount vs. Holdings amount - working backwards in time to try to determine when the numbers diverged. It might have to do with an entered transaction that somehow created the error. If you can pinpoint a specific transaction associated with the error, the first thing to try would be to delete the transaction and re enter it.

• Dom1
    Dom1 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I'll have to revisit some of my analysis. I respond back.

Thanks
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

One thing that might cause this issue is if at some point you Added a security in Quicken rather than Buying it. That will make your security balance correct but does not reduce the cash

Or if there are or have been Placeholders in the account and you tried to resolve them by adding missing Buy transactions prior to a Placeholder, tht will also correct the share balance without affecting the cash. To make sure Placeholders are visible, got to Edit > Preferences > Investments and make sure Show hidden Transactions is checked.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Dom1
    Dom1 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Please see the attached image that outlines the first time the cash balance went off.
  • Dom1
    Dom1 Member ✭✭
    edited March 2023
    I need to edit the image previously uploaded...
  • Dom1
    Dom1 Member ✭✭
    Here is the updated image.
This discussion has been closed.