Can I download balances to Excel in a transaction report?

acs2
acs2 Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Reports (Windows)
When I create a report of transactions is it possible to simultaneously download the balance for each line item into excel? Example, I run a transaction report for a credit card YTD. I would like to also include the associated balance for each transaction that is being downloaded. I know I can create these within the spreadsheet once I download the transactions but I am curious. Thanks
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    You can produce a report that includes the running balance by going to the register and selecting File > Print then selecting Print <account name> or hitting Ctrl-P. You can export this to Excel in tab delimited or (my preference) CSV format. The CSV file can usually be opened directly in Excel, without going through the Text File importer.

Unfortunately the layout of this file is not configurable, so you can't select the columns to show, and inexplicably, what should be the Category and Memo column headers are in columns by themselves rather than in the header row. {see below for a correction]
    QWin Premier subscription

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the transaction report doesn't have the running balance detail you can't export that information into Excel, it will have to be a new calculation over in Excel.
  • Jim_Harman
    edited February 2023 Answer ✓
    You can produce a report that includes the running balance by going to the register and selecting File > Print then selecting Print <account name> or hitting Ctrl-P. You can export this to Excel in tab delimited or (my preference) CSV format. The CSV file can usually be opened directly in Excel, without going through the Text File importer.

Unfortunately the layout of this file is not configurable, so you can't select the columns to show, and inexplicably, what should be the Category and Memo column headers are in columns by themselves rather than in the header row. {see below for a correction]
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Jim_Harman does the category/memo problem happen both in 1-line mode and 2-line mode?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Jim_Harman
    mshiggins said:
    @Jim_Harman does the category/memo problem happen both in 1-line mode and 2-line mode?

Aha! if you put the register in 1-line mode before going to File > Print, the format is much more useful. It looks like this:

Date Num Payee Memo Category Amount C Balance
    1/1/2010 Opening Balance [My Checking] 22345.67 R 22345.67

In 2-line mode it is

Date Num Transaction Payment C Deposit Balance
    1/1/2010 Opening Balance R 22345.67 22345.67 cat: [My Checking]

• acs2
    acs2 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for a thoughtful answer
  • My data changes daily. I have lost a lot of time and energy trying to do my tax for the 2022 year.
  • Jim_Harman

Is your comment related to this discussion in some way?

This discussion has been closed.