Different tags for the same category to track multiple businesses

I track 2 businesses using Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property. I'm constantly seeing items for one business show up on the Profit and Loss for the other business.

Example: I have a category called Subscriptions. Biz1 and Biz2 use this category. In the ledger for each business, i have tagged all Biz1 transactions with Biz1 tag, and same for Biz2 bank account and tags. Biz1 Profit and Loss will pull in Subscriptions transactions from Biz2 and vice versa. In my business setup for each, I have ensured that each business is set up with the correct tag.

Am I missing a step? Do i need to create a separate category for each business?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

When you look at Tools / Tag List, are both business tags correctly defined as “Type = Business”?

If not, go into the Business tab, select Business Tools / Manage Business Information and define your businesses.
    One of them should also be marked as Default Business. Untagged business transactions will then by default be thought to be part of the Default Business.

For more information please start reading here: https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Business

• bkm68
    bkm68 Member
    Yes, both tags are defined as "Type = Business".

I don't want a default business defined. I want to explicity have each set of business transactions that are tagged flow through to the correct business. As it stands, I consistently see transactions for Biz2 flow through to Biz1 and have confirmed that the individual transactions are tagged correctly. Looks like a bug.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please put your evidence together and show us image snapshots of one or more incorrect transactions.

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the
    issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    How do I post a screenshot in the community from windows

How do I post a screenshot in the community from a mac

Please save images to files of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• bkm68
    bkm68 Member
    Thanks for the continued replies. I started down the path of your suggestion to post evidence/screen shots and came across what may be the problem. I don't have the icons for posting images that are referenced in the knowledge article, so I can't post images. I'll do my best to explain here.

When I view the dashboard for the business, all of the numbers are correct. When I click on "Profit and Loss Details" and subsequently, "Show Report", it pulls up a generic Profit and Loss report that includes all accounts, all tags, and even untagged transactions. I have to re-filter for my business tag. Shouldn't this path pull up a P&L report filtered on the business tag? This is very misleading to the user.

To fix this, I put all of the filters in my report, saved it, and from here forward I won't ask for the report from the business screen - I will pull it up from my saved reports.
This discussion has been closed.