How do I correct Quicken's error in downloading prepopulated fields for my 401k

Ausmithesq
Ausmithesq Member
edited April 2023 in Investing (Windows)
When I download my 401k info from Fidelity, the info is downloaded correctly, but Quicken adds a line that forces the Portfolio Value to be 200% of the actual (it looks like a simple error you'd see in Excel where someone extended a SUM formula a couple cells lower within a column than they meant to.) Under my 401k on the left margin, each individual investment within the portfolio is listed with the correct amounts to their right. Those amounts all line up under a column titled Market Value at the top. All fine and good to this point. But Quicken then adds a row below my portfolio investments, which it names "Cash." This is **NOT** a cash account or equivalent within my portfolio -- this is a line that Quicken adds, which is the sum of the investments within my portfolio above it. But because the total listed on this Quicken-added "Cash" line is also aligned under the Market Value column, Quicken reads it to be one more investment and adds the summation of my investments to my investments. (So, if my investments were 25, 25, 25, and 25, the Cash line reads 100, and the Portfolio Value reads 200). How do I remove the Quicken-added value from my Portfolio Value?

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Is your account using “Simple Tracking” or “Complete View”? (Edit Account Details, General tab)

Does your account register correctly calculate the Cash Balance for the account, i.e., idle cash, not including Money Market Funds?

In the Portfolio view you can customize the view. Click the Customize button. Select the securities tab and remove the checkmark from the first Securities entry ("No Security, includes Cash"). Does the Portfolio view now show correct results?

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Does this account display a transaction list, similar to a bank account register, or does it display a 4-quadrant dashboard? If a dashboard, the account is set to Simple investing mode, which Fidelity NetBenefits handles wrong in its downloads to Quicken. You can change this:

• Click on the gear at the top right of the account
    • Pick Edit Account details
    • Under Tracking method, pick Complete.

This is discussed in detail here. As far as I know, this problem has never been acknowledged by Quicken.

QWin Premier subscription
  • Ausmithesq
    Ausmithesq Member
    It is as I described: a list as in a spreadsheet, e.g., alternating blue and white lines. It resembles but should not be confused with a registry of transactions. It is the name of my portfolio with Fidelity on one line, with the name of each investment type in succession below. Across the page to the right are several columns: Quote Price, Shares, Market Value, Cost Basis, Gain/Loss, etc. Literally everything about the page is correct except that it adds an additional row under my portfolio that includes a value that is wrongly included in the Portfolio Value. This same question has been asked several times, with several people responding each time, but each describing something different than the original poster asked about. And then the thread is closed. Any ideas, folks?
  • Ausmithesq
    Ausmithesq Member
    But I wanted to add a comment to say thank you, Jim. That was a helpful, including to just confirm that it's been asked but never answered. I wanted to post additional details in my reply for others who may be trying to describe the same thing -- I think you understood it well enough. I'll address to Quicken and re-post if I get a response.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

It sounds like you are looking at a Portfolio view under the Investing tab. Please click on the name of the account in the Account Bar, which is the list of accounts normally on the left side of your screen. This is called “opening” the account.

Do you see a list of transactions or a dashboard with 4 big squares? If you see the dashboard, follow my directions above to switch to Complete mode.

QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.