Suddenly password is required for quicken data file

This is INSANITY!   I've been working on this data file and backing it up everyday repeatedly.   Suddenly the data file requires a password?   And you people didn't tell us that we will have to set a password BEFORE you do this to us????????????

I've been in the software business for 30 years and this is the most irresponsible move I have ever witnessed in the business.   [Removed-Disruptive]  Even my backups now require suddenly a password.   [Removed-Disruptive]

Moving on, the "password removal service" is a Monday to Friday thing and the "forgot password" link doesn't launch a damn thing.   [Removed-Disruptive/Innacurate]  Who out there has a real answer to this???????????

Comments

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

@Radmanboca standard fix for suddenly having a data file password on a file with no prior data file password is to restore a backup from before the issue started. Have you tried restoring a backup?

Edit to add:

Did not catch on first read that restoring backups had already been tried. Sorry about that.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Did you recently patch up to a newer version? I believe the latest version being offered is 48.8. We see fairly often new versions can cause unexpected issues, so if you have recently patched up to a newer version, I would suggest applying an earlier version patch, then trying the file restores once again.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

I read the release notes a few days ago for R48.8. I never update early. Guess what…. the release notes are now gone and I no longer have the option to install R48.8. I wonder if @Radmanboca installed R48.8????

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023

R48.8 was released as a staged release, not as a general release. With staged releases the software company sets a certain number of downloads to be done and once that number of downloads is reached the ability to download and install (as well as the Release Notes) goes away and will not be visible, again, from within Quicken until the staged release is made a general release.

There is one way of getting around this: When a new version is released as staged, it will usually show up in the Mondo patch within 1-2 days or so. Even thought it has not been made a general release, a staged release can be downloaded as a Mondo patch once the Mondo patch has been updated with it.

As of today, the Mondo patch has not been updated to R48.8….still is for R47.15. While this delay is a bit unusual it is not unheard of.

If you wish to read the Release Notes you can read them in the following 48.XX Release Announcement: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7931169/windows-r48-xx-release-us#latest.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭

The release notes could (in Quicken) be read days after I was no longer able to update to R48.8 but now the release notes are gone, and the revision never was on Mondo. I have seen in the past where issues on a pre-releases are found the release is pulled. I suspect the same with R48.8.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I, too, have seen staged releases pulled back when there are significant issues identified with it. But so far I am seeing very few posts about people who have reported suspected (not confirmed) issues with R48.8.

And the person who started this thread never said what version he/she is using.

I have also seen some posts that R48.8 works quite well and actually resolves several key issues.

All we can do is wait and see what develops but so far I'd say the posted comments regarding R48.8 is looking pretty promising.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭

I have only seen 5 or 6 posts even mentioning R48.8. Still thinking it has been pulled. Won't be the first time… We will see… if not pulled it should show up quickly now on the Mondo site,….

As I asked earlier…." I wonder if @Radmanboca installed R48.8????".

This discussion has been closed.