Quicken for Mac - new user Q&A

Options
jjrichards
jjrichards Member ✭✭
I have been using Quicken for windows over 25 years . Considering purchasing a Mac Air and replacing my Windows laptop.
I know Quicken for Windows is superior than Mac Version , however Quicken for Mac has narrowed the gap. My questions
1. Has anyone converted from Windows to Mac and issues they have running Quicken
2. Is the conversion process from Windows to Mac easy ?
Thank you
Jeff

Answers

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023
    Options

yes, yes, and this question has been asked a bit and answered in detail. Browse or search. Doesn't hurt to just try it to see for yourself… both windows and Mac are included in your subscription.

Here are some threads…

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023
    Options

There are many posts about this on this forum. Many, many people have converted successfully from Quicken Windows to Quicken Mac. Some have encountered issues, some of which have successful resolutions and some of which don't. Because we all use Quicken differently, the best approach is to simply try it for yourself with your data and the things you use in Quicken, because your results and degree of success are likely to be different than others who may have posted problems on this forum.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

can we run both the PC and MAC versions in parallel ?
    Any issues with the migration to EWC+ and the new “authorization” requirement - for example, can Schwab & Chase accounts be used on both sides at the same time ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mapleosb
    mapleosb Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I do it all the time. I run the Mac version on my primary and a Windows version in a VM without a problem.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2023
    Options

Just did it - copy our QDF to flash drive - and plugged into our Macbook

open QMac - had already created a new file and played around a little -
    - File - Import - Windows QDF - …. Quicken went thru and did its thing, lots of status messages - and then DONE -

Things are really different on the Mac vs PC… but that's just me learning my way around Mac AND also QMac -

1 - On PC… Home - Dashboard - can create “custom view” - ….. is that feature avail on QMac ?

2 - tried to perform - File - Save a Backup -
    but the small resulting dialog box was all the way down in lower left corner BEHIND the Mac Dock - how to get to it ??

3 - clicked on our Chase acct -
    Settings - Downloads - Connect Account - …. walked thru the Auth and Link - all good - then went to PC and did the Chase download…. and all still good there - so no conflict…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jjrichards
    jjrichards Member ✭✭
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses. It sounds like there is a learning curve on QMac vs the Windows version .
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023
    Options

@Ps56k2 Re: Dashboard custom views, I don't think there's anything like that. There's not a lot you can do to customize the dashboard appearance other than to set the date ranges of the various panels, rearrange the panels, and change the background color. Quicken remembers whatever you select but there's no way to save multiple configurations & swap between them.

As for the Save a Backup dialog being hidden behind the Dock, you can set the Dock to auto-hide which should make it easier to get to something behind it. Go to System Settings in the Apple menu and on the Desktop & Dock tab turn on “Automatically hide & show the Dock”.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Jon - tnx … I'll try hiding the Dock to get at the Quicken Backup dialog box pasted in the far lower left corner…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@Ps56k2 I'm not sure why the Save a Backup dialog box would be in the lower left corner of your screen. Is your Quicken main window in the lower left part of your screen? For me, the Save a Backup dialog box appears to always be centered with respect to the Quicken main window; reposition or re-size the Quicken window, and the Save a Backup box will come up centered relative to the Quicken window's new position. So if you have the Quicken window in the lower part of your screen, it may just require re-arranging your moving the Quicken window up a little.

Also, the Save a Backup dialog box isn't terribly small, as it is a standard macOS Open/Save dialog box. If you're just not seeing the very bottom of that window where the New Folder, Cancel and Save buttons are located, it might be helpful to know that you can just press Return instead of clicking the Save button, or Esc instead of Cancel. (But if you need to create a new folder for the backup, then you'll have to move the window to access the New Folder button.)

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

The save-a-backup dialog appears centered on my screen. If it is showing behind the dock, then I'd say you need to delete your Quicken preferences to reset everything to defaults…

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

weird - tnx - just tried it again, and yup…. now in the middle of the screen -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.