USAA using EWC+ - Online Balance Includes Pending Transactions [Edited]

Answers

• Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    The workaround is to restore a backup from before you started using EWC. Once done, before downloading, Quicken will ask you to update to EWC. Do not, instead, click "Remind me Later." I did it a few days ago & my USAA Checking now balances.
  • rapptim
    rapptim Member ✭✭
    @jackoser - Thanks for the quick confirmation that I am not the only one failing to see how this is resolved.
  • johnlebas
    johnlebas Member ✭✭
    I am connected to USAA using EWC+. My checking account transactions are not downloading, Quicken changed the opening balance on the account (in 2007) to -$16,000 and some change, and the online account balance used for reconciling the account is zero!!!! I had a Frost Bank account with an opening balance from several years ago changed to a huge number that I did not recognize. Too many errors. On Friday and Saturday, the program was constantly crashing, I was online or on the phone with Quicken Help for hours (I think I had 4 separate tickets opened). We tried multiple things including Super Validate, Copying the file, dropping back to an older backup, removing and reinstalling Quicken, etc. We would get the program working and 30-60 minutes later the program would crash. Today it is working except for the download issues. I am now of the belief my problems had everything to do with a Quicken server and nothing to do with my computer, program install or data file. Shame on Quicken! Maybe we all need to band together and invest in a start-up that can build a better and more reliable "mousetrap". The lack of competition has led to complacency. The benefits promised when Quicken changed to the subscription model have not materialized.
  • rapptim
    rapptim Member ✭✭
    > @Jon Chase said:
    > The workaround is to restore a backup from before you started using EWC. Once done, before downloading, Quicken will ask you to update to EWC. Do not, instead, click "Remind me Later." I did it a few days ago & my USAA Checking now balances.
    >
    >

Doesn't that mean that you have to manually reenter all of the transactions that have occurred since Direct Connect was used?
  • Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    No, Direct Connect will download from the date of the backup to the present. Wouldn't hurt to verify them just to be sure.
  • johnlebas
    johnlebas Member ✭✭
    This would be painful workaround as I did a fair amount of account maintenance recently. All that would be lost. Quicken: Fix it! That's what we are all paying you to do!
  • allenr5
    allenr5 Member ✭✭✭
    Issue has NOT been resolved. I just reauthorized all of my USAA accounts for EWC+ and after Quicken updated the accounts the "Online Balance" showing up in my checking account is still reflecting my USAA "Available Balance" that shows on the USAA app which includes all pending debits and credits. So accounts will not reconcile correctly.
  • jdale
    jdale Member ✭✭

as others have noted, the problem appears to be that the download uses an ending balance which includes transactions that have not yet cleared, and therefore are not downloaded. THis of course results in the amount being off by the sum total of the as of yet cleared transactions. Very frustrating indeed, and essentially negates the very reason I pay for Quicken.

• jgulecas
    jgulecas Unconfirmed, Member

Same issue. Schwab did the same in late 2021. Nothing has worked since. USAA downloads have not worked since forced conversion on 3/3. EWC+ does not work. USAA and Schwab should just tell their clients that they don't support Quicken downloads anymore and same people the time and trouble of trying to get it to work.

• TwiddleOtis
    TwiddleOtis Member ✭✭
    So USAA's website (https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/faq_BankWS_Quicken_and_Microsoft_Money_BankFaqL1_index?SearchRanking=1&SearchLinkPhrase=quicken) still says that they support direct connect. Are we sure we have to use EWC. If I go back to direct connect does that solve the problem? Is quicken pushing this change to EWC or USAA?
  • TwiddleOtis
    TwiddleOtis Member ✭✭
    @Quicken Anja Any update on when there might be a resolution to this problem?
  • jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    @TwiddleOtis . If you restore a backup that has Direct Connect as the USAA connection method everything works fine. When you do an update, just click on the "Remind me next time" button and all works well. I don't know if Quicken is going to force using the EWC+ for USAA in the future, but for now staying with Direct Connect for these accounts updates and reconciles just fine. They claim issue has been resolved but as you can see from the posts it definitely hasn't been.
  • Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    Did the software update yesterday fix this problem?
  • jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    That would be a big NOOOOO. i reauthorized all my accounts for EWC+ and after updating it still brought in the "Available Balance". After restoring to file using "Direct Connect" the correct "cleared balance" was brought in and accounts reconciled correctly. Since they're showing this issue as resolved, I doubt we'll see any actions or fixes in the near future. I'm going to keep submitting problem reports through the program. Maybe sooner or later somebody may figure out the problem and fix it right.
  • Jon Chase
    Jon Chase Member ✭✭
    Thanks. I used Direct Connect this morning & all went well! I'll keep on reporting the issue through Quicken until they do something about it!
  • rapptim
    rapptim Member ✭✭
    FYI. I contacted Quicken support this morning about this issue and they confirmed a couple things: (1) the issue is NOT resolved as mentioned in the above Community link provided by Quicken (and as we all know). The tech stated that it was marked as 'resolved' because the issue is still open, but has already been escalated to a higher level support team....I understand the logic problems with that statement. Just passing on what I was told. (2) the help document at https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Pending+Transactions and the steps described there are NOT currently available in the latest Quicken version (48.9). (3) they don't currently have an estimated timeframe for resolution.
  • jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the update.
  • Rick Mooney
    Rick Mooney Member

Hello, after review I found the same issue occurred with all my USAA accounts. Hopefully a fix is identified soon.

• TwiddleOtis
    TwiddleOtis Member ✭✭
    Yeah I restored back to direct connect at well. Its working for now until Quicken decides to break something else.
  • yert1969
    yert1969 Member

I am also unable to properly reconcile USAA due to a combination of pending transactions being included and perhaps some other issue as well as the amounts are off. I reconcile every day so I know my local balances are correct unless the reauthorization of USAA threw the balance off. Quicken needs to fix this ASAP.

• 58kopykat
    58kopykat Member ✭✭
    When was direct connect for USAA replaced with EWC+? Or did they do it on a rolling basis? I restored from 3/2 then did the one-step update but didn't get the message about switching and it was still EWC+. Also, it not only downloaded transactions from 3/2 on but also a boatload of 2021 transactions that obviously had already cleared in several accounts.
  • memurray67
    memurray67 Member ✭✭
    > @HomerHector said:
    > When the USAA Savings Bank web connect was updated, the update changed my account from a credit card account to a banking account. This resulted in the balance been reduced when a charge appeared and increased when a payment appeared. USAA has the account as a credit card account when downloading so I have to assume the somehow Quicken changed it to a banking account. How do I reverse this change?

This may be a different problem that I also experienced when the update happened. Check the account number in your credit card account on Quicken. If it is grayed out, disable your online services and then correct the account number and reconnect online services.
  • memurray67
    memurray67 Member ✭✭
    Still happening.

I usually click Finish Later but the issue is still a problem. Many pending transactions don't clear that way...some, like charges at restaurants, change when cleared because the tip gets added. Some are temporary and go away. The "Reconciled" balance should not include "pending" charges.
  • TwiddleOtis
    TwiddleOtis Member ✭✭
    I just got updated to R48.15 anyone know if EWC is still behaving incorrectly? I'd like some confirmation it works before trying again (using direct connect for now)
  • Alaska_Wolf
    Alaska_Wolf Member

EWC and USAA still is not working properly, go figure. My workaround has been to go back and add in "Pending Transactions" and then hope that when USAA actually processes the transactions it doesn't screw up my account. You'd think with this "Annual Subscription" we now have to pay, that Quicken could do an update that doesn't break things. I know, that's a lot to ask for. I'd go back to Quicken 2016 if Quicken hadn't sabotaged it so that earlier versions are disabled by the new save files.

• RangerDoc
    RangerDoc Member ✭✭
    Still dealing with this issue and nothing, nada, zip from Quicken. I hate having to pay for a subscription for something that doesn't work. I'm looking at alternatives to Quicken. Does anyone have any experience with alternatives, like MoneyDance or Personal Capital?
  • Jeffw0001
    Jeffw0001 Member ✭✭

I happened to call support today. No ETA at all. I've used quicken for 40 years but I too and now looking for an alternative.

• LanceF
    LanceF Member

Waiting on a solution………………

• jackoser
    jackoser Member ✭✭
    I've been using Direct Connect since the problem arose and everything has been fine. Now this morning none of my USAA accounts would connect. Received error code 301 but the error code window did not have a "Reauthorize" button per the Quicken web page description for migrating to the EWC+. ( https://www.quicken.com/support/why-am-i-receiving-message-about-my-usaa-accounts) So, right now it looks like the USAA accounts are dead in the water and apparently no techs at Quicken know how to resolve the issue. Account won't update using DC and no instructions to migrate to EWC+
This discussion has been closed.