Blank Screen Requesting Password

I was using and already inside Quicken when a new and blank screen popped up requesting the Quicken ID password. There are no blanks to fill in. I cannot tab into the space. The screen is white. When I "X" out it immediatly reappears. I have closed the task manager to close the program and rebooted the system and this box keeps reappearing. I do not use online banking it's soley used on my desk top. This seems to have happened to other people in the past but I didn't see anything useful in their comments and the threads are now closed. Please help. Thank you.

Best Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓

It's a long shot but it might be worth trying: With Quicken closed, disable your Internet connection and then try opening and running Quicken. Are you able to access and use your data file?

If not, I'm afraid that your Quicken 2017 will likely no longer function. Quicken made some changes within the past year with the product initiation that is not compatible with non-subscription versions from 2014-2017. These versions continue to function properly until something triggers a change with the Quicken.ini file. Reinstallation or new installation of Quicken will trigger it. I'm not sure what you mean by "the refresh icon" but it sounds like it may have triggered it as well.

It is very unlikely that Quicken Inc will try to fix this issue because Quicken 2014-2017 are no longer supported versions so they have no obligation to do so.

If I am correct about this, then your only option will be to subscribe to Quicken. Then download and install the subscription program and you will, again, be able to access your data file.

When the subscription expires after a year you will not need to resubscribe if you do not wish to. You will still be able to use the program manually but about 20%-25% of the screen will be taken up by a banner reminding you to resubscribe. There is nothing that can be done to remove that banner short of resubscribing. The banner will not cause any functionality issues but some people find it to be a nuisance.

There is quite a bit about this issue that is posted in Community. If you want you can read more about it at

and at Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee — Quicken.

Sorry, I wish I had better news for you.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

Yes, I agree that it sure looks like that "refresh" did trigger the Quicken.ini file compatibility issue for you. I know you are looking for a simple solution that will allow you to continue using your Quicken 2017 but, as stated earlier, there is no known way to do that. That is not just me saying it. It is a bunch of other SuperUsers, many who are much more computer savvy than I am, and other users of Quicken 2014-2017 who are also saying it. The only know solution to regain access to your data is to upgrade to subscription. If I were in your shoes and just want to continue using Quicken 2017 manually I would not be happy, either. But it is what it is so you now need to make the decision about whether or not to upgrade. In my mind, upgrading would be the only acceptable option because I do not want to lose access to nearly 30 yrs of data but it is a personal choice.

One thing to keep in mind: If anyone ever does come up with some means of being able to reuse Quicken 2017, again, then when your Quicken subscription expires or you cancel it you should be able to access and user your subscription data file with your Quicken 2017 because they are backward/forward compatible with each other.

Best of wishes.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

You are very welcome. Most of the significant improvements Quicken has made has been with various online services. The non-online things are pretty much unchanged from Quicken 2017.

Regarding the bills/income page: Play with the drop-downs. One of the options there is to show them by Due Date instead of by Biller (alphabetically).

Have a great day!

Answers

• Boatnmaniac

Your profile shows you are running QWin 2017. Is that correct?

Also, have you recently done something like reinstalling it or installing it on a new computer? Or is it the original installation (from 2000 or earlier)?

• Anita57
    Anita57 Member

I have Quicken 2017 Deluxe. No I did not attempt any reinstall or upgrades. I've been using this on the same desk top for years. I recall being in the program and it was sluggish. It tends to be but this was more so. I had enterred a bill reminder and it created a duplicate line that wasn't correcting itself. I decided to try the refresh icon which I have never used before in Quicken and that is when the new blank screen password request came up. I did all the things I mentioned previously and then went to the community for help. Last ditch effort before shutting down, I rapidly clicked in the box and the password box went away and my Quicken resumed as normal. My information was still there. Hurray!! I shut down the pc for the night. This morning after booting up and trying to get into Quicken the same blank password box appeared. drats! the rapid clicking fixed the problem and I am back into the Quicken program as normal. However, this can't be good. I may need to upgrade to a new program. Suggestions? and thank you.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

It's a long shot but it might be worth trying: With Quicken closed, disable your Internet connection and then try opening and running Quicken. Are you able to access and use your data file?

If not, I'm afraid that your Quicken 2017 will likely no longer function. Quicken made some changes within the past year with the product initiation that is not compatible with non-subscription versions from 2014-2017. These versions continue to function properly until something triggers a change with the Quicken.ini file. Reinstallation or new installation of Quicken will trigger it. I'm not sure what you mean by "the refresh icon" but it sounds like it may have triggered it as well.

It is very unlikely that Quicken Inc will try to fix this issue because Quicken 2014-2017 are no longer supported versions so they have no obligation to do so.

If I am correct about this, then your only option will be to subscribe to Quicken. Then download and install the subscription program and you will, again, be able to access your data file.

When the subscription expires after a year you will not need to resubscribe if you do not wish to. You will still be able to use the program manually but about 20%-25% of the screen will be taken up by a banner reminding you to resubscribe. There is nothing that can be done to remove that banner short of resubscribing. The banner will not cause any functionality issues but some people find it to be a nuisance.

There is quite a bit about this issue that is posted in Community. If you want you can read more about it at

and at Migrating Quicken 2017 from old to new computer - Quicken Data Access Guarantee — Quicken.

Sorry, I wish I had better news for you.

• Anita57
    Anita57 Member

Thank you. This morning I logged in to Quicken with the normal password box. I enterred my pw and then the same 4" blank square popped up requesting my pw. Rapid clicking with the mouse seems to return the sytem back to my Quicken screen. So now I am looking for anything to explain what is going on. In the upper right corner in the bell icon for new messages are some things I do not understand but one of them seems to imply that I have "migrated to the new Quicken ID". See attached image. The refresh symbol I mentioned earlier is on the upper left. The icon is a circle with an arrow moving clockwise that usually nudges a screen to update itself. I only use the program on my desktop. It is not linked or synced with a financial institution online. I just want to make sure my history and register remain in tact. I did not upgrade or get a new computer or look for updates, etc. No problems since installed a few years back. I may have to upgrade to a subscription to get support as needed. Bummer. But I am not tech savvy and too chicken to try experimenting on my own.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

Yes, I agree that it sure looks like that "refresh" did trigger the Quicken.ini file compatibility issue for you. I know you are looking for a simple solution that will allow you to continue using your Quicken 2017 but, as stated earlier, there is no known way to do that. That is not just me saying it. It is a bunch of other SuperUsers, many who are much more computer savvy than I am, and other users of Quicken 2014-2017 who are also saying it. The only know solution to regain access to your data is to upgrade to subscription. If I were in your shoes and just want to continue using Quicken 2017 manually I would not be happy, either. But it is what it is so you now need to make the decision about whether or not to upgrade. In my mind, upgrading would be the only acceptable option because I do not want to lose access to nearly 30 yrs of data but it is a personal choice.

One thing to keep in mind: If anyone ever does come up with some means of being able to reuse Quicken 2017, again, then when your Quicken subscription expires or you cancel it you should be able to access and user your subscription data file with your Quicken 2017 because they are backward/forward compatible with each other.

Best of wishes.

• Anita57
    Anita57 Member

Thank you so much. I did upgrade for a 1 yr subscription. At the end of 12 mos I can renew or supposedly continue to use without further automatic upgrades and support. But I have 12 mos to decide. Same general appearance except for my bill/income view page. I'll have to play with it. It's currently showing them alphabetically where due date would be preferred Thanks again.

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓

You are very welcome. Most of the significant improvements Quicken has made has been with various online services. The non-online things are pretty much unchanged from Quicken 2017.

Regarding the bills/income page: Play with the drop-downs. One of the options there is to show them by Due Date instead of by Biller (alphabetically).

Have a great day!

This discussion has been closed.