Creating Reports on Quicken Deluxe Version 6.12.3. Failure to populate category unto report!

Options
Corina
Corina Member ✭✭
edited April 2023 in Reports (Mac)

I am trying to create my annual reports to give to my CPA for tax preparation and have not been able to populate the “mortage” category into my report. I have spent a couple of hours on the phone with Quicken and they could not help. I had alreayd tried many of the things they tried again with me via screen sharing. I also tried to create other reports by using specific filters like “tag” with specific accounts and the result was "There where no trasactions for the filter settings.” everytime. I am utterly frustrated and believe that there is something wrong with the latest update of Quicken Deluxe for Mac. Anyone out there with the same issue??

Thanks!

Comments

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited March 2023
    Options

How is your mortgage interest categorized? When I created a new mortgage in a test account & entered the first payment, the interest was categorized as “Loans:Loan Interest”, which is not flagged as a tax related category & doesn't show up on the Tax Report. When I changed the category to “Home:Mortgage Interest” it did show up on the Tax Report since that is flagged as a tax related category.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

As @Jon says, “Mortgage” isn't a typical category. Is this a category you created? Are you looking for it in a Category Summary report? Transactions by Category report? Tax Schedule Report? the latter requires the category to be configured to be tax-related and assigne dot the appopriate tax line.

A typical mortgage payment is a split between interest expense and principal repayment, which is a transfer to the loan account (and is not an expense).

If you explain how your loan payments are set up, we can advise further.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Mike Honcho
    Mike Honcho Member ✭✭
    Options
    Corina, As jacobs mentioned in the previous comment, I had a category that I created that wasn't showing up in my report for 2023 charitable contributions. The category was under CONTRIBUTIONS:XXXXXXX. On my Quicken for Mac, I went to Window>Categories, and edited the specific category by checking the "Tax Related" box and defining it as a Schedule A Cash Contribution (I assume you can make it any type of Tax Form/Schedule and Tax Line just to get REPORTS to recognize it, but I don't know for sure). It then showed up when I re-ran my REPORT. I read in another Quicken Issue that it has to do with "accounting rules" which I think is ridiculous. Why does Quicken care what I'm using my reports for? Any category I wanted to add to my report used to be possible regardless of why I wanted to add it. BL: making the category I wanted to show in my report TAX-RELATED (assigning it a Tax Form & Line) solved the problem for me and allowed the specific category to show in my report.
  • Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Tax Reports are only going to show categories that are checked as being Tax Related. And if you're using information from those reports to prepare your taxes, it matters a great deal which Schedule & Line you associate with your category.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

This discussion has been closed.