Provide additional Medical items in the Schedule A tax related items (16 Legacy Votes)

RickO
RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
When associating tax-related medical categories with Schedule A, there are items for Doctors, Dentists, Hospitals; Medical Mileage; Medical Travel and Lodging; and Medicine and Drugs

There are not items for Medical Insurance and Medical Supplies. Please add these two items to Schedule A tax related items, as well as a general "Medical" item to be more consistent with tax preparation software.

An example of the current options for Mac are shown below for QM2017.

(4 Legacy Votes)
Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
4 votes

Reviewed · Last Updated

Comments

• Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited August 2018
    I understand your question, but you could create a category for those costs you are concerned about, and then create a tax association to Schedule A DRS, DDS, and Hosp, which is where they get entered anyway.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited January 2017
    Hershey said:

I understand your question, but you could create a category for those costs you are concerned about, and then create a tax association to Schedule A DRS, DDS, and Hosp, which is where they get entered anyway.

It's not a question; it's a request for addition to the granularity of the Schedule A tax associations. These items can be seen on the Tax Schedule Report and map into tax programs (TurboTax) via export of the TXF file. They are not they only ones that could be added to be consistent with TurboTax's Medical Expense Worksheet, but they are ones requested by another user who would like to see this level of detail in the reports and exports.

In the end, it only affects personal record keeping as Schedule A does not treat different types of medical expenses differently (as you point out).
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • psobilo
    psobilo Member ✭✭✭
    edited February 2017
    Hershey said:

Unfortunately, TurboTax follows the lead of the IRS and breaks down Medical expenses on Sch. A (doctors, hospitals, diagnostics, vision, etc.) It would be nice if Quicken provided the same granularity.  At tax time, I have to print out my medical expenses for the year and then start parsing it as I fill out TurboTax.  Or am I missing something?
  • Unknown
    Unknown Member
    edited May 2018
    Hershey said:

Sshedule A folds all medical and dental expenses up into one line. So you just need the one line for tax line item.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello All,

This Idea seems to have fallen stagnant and due to the Age of the request and lack of User Votes/Comments, will be archived within the next 7 business days.

If you would like to see this Idea kept alive and considered for possible future implementation in Quicken, be sure to Add your Vote and a comment explaining how this Idea would be beneficial for you.

More information, including steps to vote and how to submit your own Ideas for future product features/improvements, is also available here.

Thank you,

Quicken Community Support Team

~~~***~~~
  • Tom Crehan
    Tom Crehan Member ✭✭
    I'd love to see this added as well as a Tax Line item for "self-employed health insurance premiums."

I realize the Tax Line # jumps around from year to year (in 2017 it was directly on the 1040; now it's on Schedule 1) and the actual total of premiums *might* be different than the deduction we can take, but... having that total would be extremely useful on the Tax Schedule Report.

Currently my only option is to lump it in as an "Unassigned Tax Item" and break it down myself later and annotate the PDF I send to my accountant. That means more work and more room for error.

Adding a simple "Self-Employed Health Insurance Premiums" as a Tax Line Item would be simple. Barring that, allow us the flexibility to add & edit the Tax Line item categories ourselves. Thanks!
  • Steve54@
    Steve54@ Member ✭✭✭
    Telling the users that we can enter categories and assign them to tax forms, misses an important point. This approach means that every user needs to understand the fluctuating and unstable nation of the US tax system.

I would restate the feature request as the following: Quicken should provide additional categories and associated tax assignments because I expect Quicken to be able to parse these as the US tax regulations change. Change is routine, stability is a myth.

Steve
  • GiantGary
    GiantGary Member

We should be able to "Link" our health insurance premiums to a tax reporting category of "SE Allowable Health Insurance" (for those that are self employed). This recommendation correlates to IRS Form 1040 Schedule 1, line 17 - Self Employment Health Insurance Deduction. Since the Self Employed Health Insurance deduction bounces around the IRS tax forms frequently, another means of doing this is to add a Quicken Tax Line item titled: "1040 Income Deduction, misc" category