Quicken not reconciling to CitiCards (Pending Charges are included in the balance from Citi)

Beginning 4/11, when downloading charges from CitiCards, the transaction downloaded do NOT include pending charges, which is correct, no issue. Unfortunately when reconciling the balance in Quicken against the balance from Citi, the Pending Charges were included in the banks balance resulting in a reconciliation difference equal the Pending Charges.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You might not like the solution, but the best way to beat this is to NOT reconcile to the Online Balance, but reconcile to the "paper statement". You don't have to wait for the billing cycle, you can use the current balance from the financial institution's website, current date and use $0 for Charges and Payments.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• stevesjh
    stevesjh Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Thanks Splasher, that's not a solution that's a work-around. Another is to allow Quicken to generate the balancing register transaction equal to the pendings, then immediately delete it from the register. The next day it's back in balance unless of course there are more pending transitions. Bottom line it's going to require a fix by either Quicken or CitiCards to work correctly going forward.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

I find reconciling to online balance not that much of a problem in that it is typically very easy to identify what is wrong, though clearly need to be fixed ASAP.

Edit Mabe I am seeing something different than the op or misrembering what my experience has been as it usually involved clearly or unclearing a transaction in the reconcile dialog?

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• stevesjh
    stevesjh Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Bob agreed, identifying the problem is very easy and sometimes it's as simple as you suggest as inadvertently clearing or unclearing a transition in the reconciliation window. This in NOT the case, in fact it's isolated to Citi only as my other cards reconcile correctly with any outstanding pending transactions as viewed from the Banks' window. This appears to be Citi or Quicken incorrectly sending or calculating the statement ending balance used for reconciling.
  • stevesjh
    stevesjh Member ✭✭
    As I further dig into this keep in mind the "Cleared Balance" on the reconciliation window is correct, as well as the Banks' balance as I view it from their website (it does NOT include the pending charges). It's the "Statement Ending Balance" on the reconciliation window that's incorrect as its reversing out the pending transactions from the banks balance as viewed from their window resulting in a payment if you let Quicken generate the adjustment amount.
  • ajh1964
    ajh1964 Member

stevesjh, I'm experiecncing the same issue since the same date, and I agree having to do manual reconicialtion isn't the solution as I've bene doing the online reconciliation for years and all of a sudden it's incorrect. I did log a support ticket on this as it needs to be fixed.

• ajh1964
    ajh1964 Member

I too am a Citi Bank card holder…

• qrad
    qrad Member ✭✭✭

same here, it's a pain.

• stevesjh
    stevesjh Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023
    Thanks all for confirming, I was hopeful that it wasn't just me, this is a real issue and would hope that Quicken and Citi can correct it expeditiously.
  • ajh1964
    ajh1964 Member

I synced with Citibank today 4/16 and it seems the issue is corrected…

• stevesjh
    stevesjh Member ✭✭
    I also reconciled correct without issue on Saturday, 4/15.
  • qrad
    qrad Member ✭✭✭

same here, we will see how it looks this week.

This discussion has been closed.