Unable to update billers - after R 49.22 update

mysticae
mysticae Member ✭✭

After patch (Quicken Deluxe shows version R49.22, Build 27.1.49.22), attempting to refresh bills and accounts results in pop-up with title "Unable to update billers" and further notes "Quicken could not retrieve the list of billers. Please try again later."

I do not have any payments set up through Quicken. The program retrieves bills from linked billing accounts and posts entries to linked banking accounts. I have never enabled a payment account at all.

How to fix this, please?

Best Answer

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear that Hulu has successfully connected.

When I check our servers, T-Mobile is still showing a degraded connection. That issue has been reported and is still in work, although we do not have an ETA.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

Answers

• mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭

Additional info, if I untick the checkbox for "update bills" in the One Step Update Settings, the update does not return an error.

• Pudealee
    Pudealee Member ✭✭

Same here…"Unable to update billers" and further notes "Quicken could not retrieve the list of billers. Please try again later."

• mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭

Not sure if it made any difference, or if the issue is evolving, but I've had some progress.

On the "Bills & Income" tab, "Bills" sub tab, I clicked the update icon at the top right of the section. I wondered if that updated bills specifically, rather than everything. I got a pop-up to re-auth a biller and completed it. After that, "One Step Update" works again even with the "Update Bills" checkbox ticked.

• jsauser11
    jsauser11 Member ✭✭
    I also have this issue since the update to R49.22 Quicken Deluxe for Windows. None of my online billers (I only have 3 since the entire online bill process is so borked) can refresh. Also, all the previous .pdf statements are wiped.
  • JLP1976
    JLP1976 Member ✭✭✭
    I use autopay for all of my recurring bills, so I see little value in using the online billers feature. That said, I decided to give it a try a few months back in hopes that I have easy access in Quicken to the billers statements. Based on this latest problem and all the other problems I have experienced over these weeks, I am done with this. I have deleted all of my online billers and will return to the robust process I have been using for years.
  • Sam
    Sam Member ✭✭
    This is becoming so typical for Quicken it's hard to believe. I have the same issue too. Bill pay has not worked flawlessly for 6 months now.
  • mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭

Just to distinguish the issues, I do not use Bill Pay through Quicken. My issue related to bill retrieval. It has not recurred since I noted the change above, after I believe that I just refreshed the Bills page and triggered the auth pop-up.

• mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭

And … it's back 🙄

(to recap, my situation is only about downloading statements from billers, no Bill Pay is involved)

Hulu is the problem now. I did a global One-Step Update and got a fail report on downloading bills. I went to Bills & Income —> Bills and tapped Update All at the top of the bills list. Hulu shows as needing attention. Tried Fix It and got a login screen for Hulu. My credentials fail from that screen, although the same credentials work to connect to Hulu through a browser.

Don't know if it helps to know this, but it appears that Hulu uses two-factor authentication. The Quicken credentials screen does not seem to trigger Hulu to send a login verification; I'm not receiving any emailed code from Hulu, nor seeing any option to enter a code in Quicken.

• Hello @mysticae,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. To start with, I suggest you try to Review and Repair Online billers.  Please save a backup of your data file first.  After that, please navigate to the Bills & Income tab and click on the gear icon on the top-right. Then, click on Review and Repair > Review and Repair Online Billers in the dropdown menu.

Once that is done, see if the issue still continues to persist.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭

Thank you for the response.

I took the steps indicated. I got a sequence of 3 messages that found bills that were "on the server . . . incomplete or not present locally". Two of these are relatively recent, so I chose cancel. The third was Hulu. I clicked OK and it removed it from the server.

I attempted to add Hulu back to my bills. I got the message that says it may take a few days. I did not get any opportunity to add a Hulu verification code, nor did it seem to trigger Hulu's two-factor authentication to send me a code.

I guess there is a slight move forward, in that it no longer rejects my valid Hulu login credentials. Here's hoping that the process completes at some point, but please consider this unresolved in the meantime.

• Thank you for the update,

Please let us know how it goes.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023

Unresolved [Edited-Readability]

This has not worked. This thread is showing as "answered", which may be technically correct given that there has been a reply, but the issue is not resolved. [Edited - Readability]

The title of the thread was changed to reflect the Quicken version. The program just updated to v. R49.29. It is not apparent that the issue has been corrected with the latest patch. Three bills still show as "connecting", including Hulu. No billers now display downloaded statements. It does appear the T-Mobile entry is no longer skipping May and going straight to June for the next bill date, so perhaps that is progress.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You may want to consider this:

• Quicken Kristina

Thank you for the update,

The thread shows as "answered" because that's the way discussions set up as a question work. When you first post and nobody has responded to your question, the status will look like the sample image below.

Once you get responses the status will change to look like this sample image.

Once you accept an answer, it will change to look like this next sample image.

To continue troubleshooting this issue, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file. Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭

Validate repaired a damaged transaction index and removed an invalid transaction. Super validate did not find anything further.

Hulu now says it is connected but bill is not available. T-Mobile still says "we're working on linking", which has been its status since before April 28.

It appears that PDFs for bills that don't "need attention" are again available, so maybe that's a step in the right direction.

At this point, after validation and super-validation, the issues are (1) Hulu claims connection, but bill not available (it will autopay from the Hulu side on May 15), and (2) T-Mobile is still trying to connect after more than a week.

I will keep watching for something to change. and now I know how to "super-validate", thank you.

• mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭

@UKR

Thank you for the advice. I do not pay any of my bills through Quicken, all that can be managed through autopay are set up with the respective billers. so they should still pay on time!

Adding manual reminders sounds like a good idea (seeing these same two bills sitting at the top of the list EVERY time I look also keeps me aware).

Will see what happens as billing periods cycle.

• srslechta
    srslechta Member ✭✭

Same problem here also. My Quicken just updated to R49.29 and now all of my online bills are showing that they need attention. When I try to refresh them, they all say "Unable to update billers". Can Quicken just put out an update that fixes this problem instead of making your users jump through hoops to get things working again? So frustrated with updates causing problems.

• Quicken Kristina

Let us know how it goes. When I check our servers, T-Mobile is showing a degraded connection, which may be why it hasn't been able to finish connecting. That issue has been reported and is in work, although we do not have an ETA.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭
    @srslechta
    I don't know if it was just coincidence, but sometimes maybe superstition beats logic?

I originally had the "unable to update billers" message. I did another One-Step Update and unchecked the option to download bills, so it cycled without error. Then I went to Bills & Income --> Bills and clicked the update icon at the top of the bills list (which I understood to only update bills, not everything).

During the Bills update, I got a pop-up to update a login and did so. After that, bill downloads were again possible, but some specific bills still have issues. I can't say that those steps changed anything, but might not hurt to try...

My remaining issues are with Hulu and T-Mobile. And I anticipate another round of frustration as my credit union is planning a online services system upgrade at the end of the month, so wondering how many things that will cause to break. Not sure how Quicken knows about external changes like that, until they pop up here as not working. If anyone can tell me where to send a clue about this upcoming credit union thing, I'd be happy to tip off Quicken in advance on that one ;-)
  • mysticae
    mysticae Member ✭✭
    Quick update, got messages showing that Hulu and T-Mobile are known issues.

Since then, I've been able to re-establish connection with Hulu (looks like the request triggered 2FA on the Hulu side and the Quicken pop-up had space for email, password, and the code that Hulu had already emailed).

Will keep trying on T-Mobile, definitely progress!
  • Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓

I'm glad to hear that Hulu has successfully connected.

When I check our servers, T-Mobile is still showing a degraded connection. That issue has been reported and is still in work, although we do not have an ETA.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• Stephen Ecker
    Stephen Ecker Member ✭✭
    I went through all of these steps and the problem remains.
  • jasonbrla
    jasonbrla Member ✭✭✭
    Can we get an announcement or a thread specific to the T-Mobile Degraded Connection to follow? Currently there is no thread I can find where we will get notification of when this is eventually solved. When there is one created, can you paste a link here so we can go follow it? Many Thanks
  • ScottHuske
    ScottHuske Member

I am new to Quicken and am getting the same message after adding my billers - some got added and bills are being received, but others are still having trouble

• jab112
    jab112 Member

Hi, just want to report I am having the same issues with a number of my billers (American Express, Bank of America, UGI Utilities); they all have the "Fix It" and then it either states "Still connecting to …." (same error message after a week+ of trying) or "The biller's website is not accessible at this time" (getting that for Bank of America). Tried the recommended actions listed above on the repair and validate from the Bills, Income & Transfers page, as well as validate and super-validate the Quicken files. The online billers feature has always been semi-functional at best, but does appear to be more problematic since the last update.

This discussion has been closed.