Renaming transactions but no renaming rule exists

Quicken is renaming a particular Payee every time it's downloaded but I cannot find a renaming rule that matches it. The Payee name is complex - "Google *PLAYORCAS G.CO/HELPPAY# Ca" and it's renaming it to "Hulu". I can't find any renaming rule that says Hulu and I cannot find any Memorized Payee for either.

Tagged:

Comments

• Hello @nightowlgirl,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did the issue start happening?  Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected program or computer shutdown, etc?  Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@nightowlgirl do you have the preference “Automatically apply Quicken’s suggested name to payee” enabled? If so, try disabling the preference.

Edit | Preferences: Downloaded Transactions and uncheck “Automatically apply Quicken’s suggested name to payee”

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• PittKon
    PittKon Member ✭✭

I have the same problem. I have removed all renaming rules so when I bring up the renaming rules dialogue box it tells me "no rules defined yet". I have deselected "automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee". I can find no pattern as to which transactions Quicken choses to rename, but it always renames to the same name. I have validated and repaired, and no problems are flagged. I am out of ideas.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @PittKon,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. When did this issue first start? Do you keep your Quicken file directly on the C drive, is it on a shared network drive, or is it synced with any cloud services (you can review my earlier post if you need directions on how to check file location).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• PittKon
    PittKon Member ✭✭

Hello Quicken Kristina,

The issue started about 2 or 3 months ago. The Quicken file is stored on my local C drive, not shared locally, but backed up (synched) to One Drive.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

We recommend that you not have your Quicken file synced with One Drive or at least make sure the sync is paused when you are accessing your file. You can review this article for more information.

Since you said you already tried validating your file, the next troubleshooting step would be performing a Super Validate. It is similar to a Validate, but performs the check in a different way, so can sometimes catch things the Validate does not. Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

If the Super Validate does not correct the issue, the next step would be restoring a backup from before the issue started, if possible, and see if the issue persists in the newly restored file.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• PittKon
    PittKon Member ✭✭
    edited May 2023

OK. Thanks. Super Validate shows no errors. And I was mistaken in that my Quicken file is not included on my OneDrive sync. I have followed your instructions and we will see what happens. Thanks.

• ewittersheim
    ewittersheim Member ✭✭
    > @nightowlgirl said:
    > Quicken is renaming a particular Payee every time it's downloaded but I cannot find a renaming rule that matches it. The Payee name is complex - "Google *PLAYORCAS G.CO/HELPPAY# Ca" and it's renaming it to "Hulu". I can't find any renaming rule that says Hulu and I cannot find any Memorized Payee for either.

I have the same problem, I called support and we did a bunch of things but the problem still exists. Did you find a solution?
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

@ewittersheim Have a look at the Quicken online Help here:

https://help.quicken.com/display/WIN/Downloaded%2BTransactions%2Bpreferences

It sounds like you'll want to disable the setting for "Automatically apply Quicken's suggested name to payee".

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• nightowlgirl
    nightowlgirl Member ✭✭
This discussion has been closed.