Budget stopped saving changes

dodg06QQ
dodg06QQ Member ✭✭

I periodically change budget amounts and the following day they revert back to the old budget. Budgets used to save automatically when I made a change. Thankfully, I am keeping a spreadsheet of what the real budget is but I shouldn't have to do this. I am running Quicken Deluxe. Is there a new feature that I am missing This problem apparently started sometime in February.

Tagged:

Best Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your response,

If you don't use Quicken on the Web and the mobile app, then you can turn off cloud sync. That way, One Step Update will just update your accounts and not sync with the cloud. To turn it off, go to Edit Preferences Mobile & Web, then turn sync off by clicking on the little button next to the word Sync until it shows the word "OFF".

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, turning off cloud sync is a work around. We request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

(CTP-6291)

Quicken Kristina

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you Syncing your Quicken data file to Quicken on the Web or the Quicken Mobile app?

After making changes to the budget you should Reset Sync to create a new Sync file, to replace the existing Sync file with. It's quite possible that Sync after budget changes reverses your budget changes … it shouldn't.

• dodg06QQ
    dodg06QQ Member ✭✭

How do I reset sync? I tested your idea and yes, everytime I do an update it changes the budgets for two of my categories.

• Hello @dodg06QQ,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. To reset your cloud sync, follow these steps:

1. Go to Edit Preferences Mobile & Web.
    2. Click Reset your cloud data.

Note: If cloud sync is not turned on, you will need to turn it on before it will let you reset.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• dodg06QQ
    dodg06QQ Member ✭✭
    I went through the process of resetting the cloud data and it made such a mess that now I have to re-enter my entire budget. Is there a way to just update my accounts each day and nothing else. I don't use Quiken on the web and I don't care if it gets updated.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓

Thank you for your response,

If you don't use Quicken on the Web and the mobile app, then you can turn off cloud sync. That way, One Step Update will just update your accounts and not sync with the cloud. To turn it off, go to Edit Preferences Mobile & Web, then turn sync off by clicking on the little button next to the word Sync until it shows the word "OFF".

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• dlesaux
    dlesaux Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

I changed the allocated budget amounts on a few categories, saved and selected "Apply budget forward to the end of the year". The following day, when I return to the budget, the allocated budget values have reverted back to the previous values. This has happened several times. Is this a confirmed bug? Is anyone else having this problem?

[Merged Post]

• Quicken Kristina
    edited April 2023

Hello @dlesaux,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. How long has this been going on? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or on a shared network drive? Is the file synced with any cloud services, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is synced with them, you will see the service name show up in the file path). The easiest way to check your Quicken file location, if you are in your Quicken and have that file open, is go to File, then near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit, it will show the file paths for the 4 Quicken files you most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in being in the #1 spot (see sample image below).

Do you have your file synced with the Quicken cloud? To check that, go to Edit>Preferences>Mobile & Web. If you have Sync turned on, it will show you there.

Thank you.

[Merged Post]

Quicken Kristina

• Clark Fowler
    Clark Fowler Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

I was having issues with files where I needed to run super validate 2 or 3 times to correct transactions on tag. I was having budget issues where totals weren’t changed, or they ended up in everything else.
    It appeared that when sync was run it corrupted the files and the budgets, but I didn’t want to eliminate the mobile connection. I don’t update anything from the mobile.
    So, this is what I did to fix them.
    1.On the Mobile / Web screen, I turned sync off.
    2.In the one step update, I turned off the option to sync to cloud while doing a one-step update.
    3.I shut down Quicken.
    4.I started Quicken.
    5.On Mobile / Web screen, I turned sync on and set it to sync after Quicken shuts down (check box below sync on/off.)
    6.I shut down Quicken.
    7.I started Quicken.
    8.On Mobile / Web screen, I set it up to sync to mobile. It did a sync and after the sync was complete, the budgets were not right.
    9.I corrected my budgets. {about 5 entries had to be fixed)
    10.I shut down Quicken.
    11.I started Quicken.
    12.I checked the budgets, and they were correct.
    Prior to making the previous changes, I would:
    1.Do one-step update.
    2.Do sync.
    3.Do super validate. (Until no errors).
    4.Do a backup.
    Now what I am doing is:
    1.Do one-step update.
    2.Do super validate. (Until no errors; now nothing is found usually).
    3.Do a backup.
    After doing this, the budgets were fine, and the files have been as well.
    Hope it works for you.

[Merged Post]

• SMCHome
    SMCHome Member ✭✭
    edited April 2023

I too am having this problem. Multiple times I have opened the budget to see that random categories have changed numbers from what I have entered. I did check the file location and sync option as Kristina suggested and my file is in my C drive, sync is turned on because when traveling i like to keep my accounts updated. My back ups are saved in Google Drive. I don't see how saving in Google Drive should impact the numbers in the budget.
    Very frustrating as this is the first year I've used the budgeting function and while I like the layout and functions, it is really a waste of time for me to set it up only to find budgeted numbers have arbitrarily changed. The numbers might remain as entered for days or weeks and then one day they are different. Not in every category, but several.
    Anyone who can offer a fix will be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Steve

[Merged Post]

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2023

1) Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND
    2) do you actually use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web browser-based app?

The Sync process has been suspected of a number of weird happenings with Quicken.
    Could your problem be caused by Sync?

If you answer "yes" to the 1st question and "no" to the 2nd question, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it. The Sync process should only be used in conjunction with the Quicken app for Smartphones or the Quicken on the Web browser app. It cannot be used as a replacement for backing up and restoring your Quicken data file.

If you answer "yes" to both questions, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

How to reset Sync to Cloud

• Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:
    • Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.
    • Sync your desktop file to the cloud
    • Now log back into your mobile app

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

• Go to Edit / Preferences / Mobile and Web
    • Change the Sync radio button and set it to OFF

[Merged Post]

• TLH
    TLH Member ✭✭
    I use Quicken web and mobile and have the same problem with the budget changing after I sync. Is this something Quicken is working on and we can expect a upgrade to correct it sometime soon. I have deleted and reset the cloud data several times and get the same annoying results. Help please.
  • Hello @TLH,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. How long has this issue been happening? How is the budget changing? Is it just not saving changes you made, or are changes you didn't make spontaneously appearing? Is it always the same sort of stuff that happens or is it more random? Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected software or computer shutdown, etc? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive, or on a shared network drive? Is it synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (usually, you will see the service name in the file location if it is synced)? The simplest way to see file location, if you are in Quicken and have your file open, is to click on File, and near the bottom of the list, just above Exit, it will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot (see sample image below).

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• dodg06QQ
    dodg06QQ Member ✭✭
    It started sometime in February. There were no unusual happinings except maybe a Quicken update. It is located on my Laptop's "C" drive in my Quicken directory. I've solved the problem by not syncing Quicken anymore with the cloud. I do my daily updates and that's it.
  • Clark Fowler
    Clark Fowler Member ✭✭
    Solution for Me:

I was having budget issues where totals weren’t changed, or they ended up in everything else. I was also having issues with files where I needed to run super validate 2 or 3 times to correct transactions on tag.
    It appeared that when sync was run it corrupted the files and the budgets, but I didn’t want to eliminate the mobile connection. I don’t update anything from the mobile.

So, after much trial and error, I did this to fix it:

1.On the Mobile / Web screen, I turned sync off.
    2.In the one step update, I turned off the option to sync to cloud while doing a one-step update.
    3.On Mobile / Web screen, I turned sync on and set it to sync after Quicken shuts down (check box below sync on/off.)
    4.On Mobile / Web screen, I Deleted the files that were in the cloud already.
    5.I shut down Quicken.
    6.I started Quicken.
    7.On Mobile / Web screen, I set it up to sync to mobile. It did a sync and after the sync was complete, the budgets were not right.
    8.I corrected my budgets. {about 5 entries had to be fixed)
    9.I shut down Quicken.
    10.I started Quicken.
    11.I checked the budgets, and they were correct.

They have worked fine ever since.

However, the following caused it to fail during my testing.
    1.Manually doing a SYNC from the Mobile / Web Screen
    2. Doing a RESET of the cloud from the Mobile / Web Screen

Prior to making the previous changes, I would:
    1.Do one-step update.
    2.Do sync.
    3.Do super validate. (Until no errors).
    4.Do a backup.

Now what I am doing is:
    1.Do one-step update.
    2.Do super validate. (Until no errors; now nothing is found usually).
    3.Do a backup.
    After doing this, the budgets were fine, and the files have been as well.
    Hope it works for you.

This has been working for me for over a week now.

However, I found out that if I use the RESET feature, the budget gets backed off to a previous budget before some changes were made and puts totals in everything else. Fortunately, I have a copy of my budget so I can make the changes easily.

If you have any questions, please post it.

Clark Fowler
  • TLH
    TLH Member ✭✭
    Quicken Kristina, thanks for the response. Here are my inputs:

How long has this issue been happening? I believe this problem started March or April.

How is the budget changing? It appears all income accounts and a few expense accounts are set back to prior year amounts after a reset and sync.

Is it just not saving changes you made, or are changes you didn't make spontaneously appearing? It changes after I quit Quicken and log in the next day.

Is it always the same sort of stuff that happens or is it more random? I believe it is the same categories that change.

Was there anything that happened just before the issue started, such as a power surge, power outage, update, unexpected software or computer shutdown, etc? No, I don't think so.

Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive, or on a shared network drive? It is on my C drive.

Is it synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (usually, you will see the service name in the file location if it is synced)? No

After correcting the budget several days in a row, I have stopped syncing with the mobile app and miss this function. Everything worked fine for years until the last couple of months.
  • Thank you for your reply,

You mentioned you stopped syncing with the mobile app. Did that correct the issue, or was it still changing even with sync off?

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

• SMCHome
    SMCHome Member ✭✭
    Hi Kristina, I was experiencing budget numbers changing arbitrarily until I turned sync off. No issues with numbers changing since I turned off going two weeks.
    It’s a good fix, but seems Quicken should be able to remedy so that we can use sync.
    I like to track my accounts when traveling.
  • Quicken Kristina
    Answer ✓

Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

We have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, turning off cloud sync is a work around. We request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

While you will not receive a response through this submission, these reports will help our teams in further investigating the issue. The more problem reports we receive, the better.

We apologize for any inconvenience!

Thank you.

(CTP-6291)

Quicken Kristina

• herbb623
    herbb623 Member ✭✭✭
    I am having this same issue. I make changes on my desktop. do a backup. sync to mobile/web, and my desktop budget numbers change. This should not be happening. Its been going on for quite a while now. months. I do want to continue syncing my data to the cloud so i can view on my mobile phone. My temp fix, i hope, is make changes on my desktop, DO A BACKUP, then sync to cloud. Then restore my backup and turn off sync. Please get this problem fixed.
  • SMCHome
    SMCHome Member ✭✭
    I have not had any numbers change since I turned off mobile/web sync. I’m hoping Quicken can fix this so I’m able to keep my accounts up to date when traveling. But as for now, my budget numbers stay as inputted as long as I don’t sync and only use my desktop.
  • Siamman
    Siamman Member

FYI, Having the same problem. This is clearly a bug. I hope that killing the sync fixes it. Hello Intuit, anybody working on this?

• NateTM
    NateTM Member
    edited May 2023

Even after validating my file, and super validating my file, clearing my cloud data, every time I try a sync, my budget data completely changes. Anyone else having this issue?

[Merged Post]

• SMCHome
    SMCHome Member ✭✭
    Only fix Ive found is to not sync. I don’t like it, but beats redoing and wondering if the budget is correct or did it change again.
  • cromaney
    cromaney Member ✭✭
    Similar problem. The budget numbers and categories change every time I log on.
  • mjanehuber
    mjanehuber Member

I have the same issue. When syncing to the cloud, my budget amounts revert to old amounts. I have turned off/on cloud sync, validated the file, restored multiple backups, and created a completely new budget and nothing will fix it. I can't find a common date that the budget reverts to— sometimes the budget reverts to the most recent backup, sometimes to a backup from 6 months ago. A customer service agent advised that this was added to a future product revision. At this point I have given up & turned off my cloud sync. This is disappointing because I don't carry my computer everywhere; the mobile app is a huge value-add for this product. Hopefully the new version is released soon with the problem fixed.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If Sync to the cloud messes up your budget, please do yourself a favor and STOP SYNCing until the programmers at Quicken get a handle on this situation.
    Don't fight the windmill.

• sed9999
    sed9999 Member ✭✭
    I'm seeing this as well. Not only are amounts changing, but the selected Budget Categories get added/removed from what I had previously.
This discussion has been closed.