Want to start new Quicken File - account holdings are wrong or missing stock shares

aprm1024
aprm1024 Member ✭✭

After 8 years I feel the file is carrying some errors in a number of accounts and I'd like to start fresh, hoping this can help alleviate some errors. What is the experience of people in this forum with this approach. I read that QIF file export/import gives you more control over which accounts to bring over to the new file.

Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited May 2023

Hello @aprm1024,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community. How much history are you wanting to carry forward into the new file? What kind of errors are you running into?

QIF file export/import does give you more control over what accounts to bring over, as well as letting you choose date ranges. That said, QIF does not always handle transfers well; if you have a lot of transfers between accounts, you may see your balances will be incorrect after the import. Another thing that can happen is if there are errors in some of the transactions you are trying to bring into the new file, sometimes those transactions do not transfer over properly.

Depending on how much history you need, one option is starting a new file and redownloading from your financial institutions. How much history will download varies by the financial institution, but most offer approximately 90 days. Many financial institutions also offer the ability to download Quicken formatted files, referred to as .QFX or as Web Connect files, to pull in additional history. How much history varies; it seems most that offer Web Connect allow you to download about 1-2 years worth of transactions. Also, unless you delete it, your previous Quicken file will still exist, so you would be able to reference it still if you needed to see more history. To see how to switch between files, you can reference this article (the How to alternate between multiple files section).

If starting a completely new file isn't a viable option for you, another option is creating a copy of your file. Doing this will rebuild all of the internal lists and database tables. If successful, you would then move forward with the copied file. To create a copy, please navigate to File > Copy or Backup File... > Create a copy or template (see examples below) which will also allow you to select a date range to move forward with.
    If you wish to move forward with your entire data file, please check the full date range of your entire data file before copying so you can enter the correct date range if you do not wish to "shrink" your file by eliminating certain dates.

It's important to know that doing so will disconnect all online services in the copied file and you will need to sign back in with your Quicken ID and reconnect all of your online accounts, online billers, Quicken Bill Manager services, etc if you plan to use that copied file going forward. The reason for this is that the new copy also creates a new and separate dataset ID.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• aprm1024
    aprm1024 Member ✭✭

Thank you so much for your comprehensive answer, ultimately what I'm trying to do is the equivalent of a reboot to refresh all the indices, databases, and whatever is happening under the covers. I think it would be a good idea to create a new file, I don't mind reconnecting all the accounts for online access if you recommend going through this to reboot.

What prompted this was a fundamental data cleanliness issue with one my the canned reports offered by Quicken - Portfolio Value (under Investing). For a couple of the holdings on the report the shares are incorrect, even though the balance is correct. When I look at the holdings of the account, it shows zero fro Pru stock. I tried adding an Adjust Share Balance transaction to the account and that did not correct the report.

Do you know how I can go about fixing this issue?

Thank you

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

If you haven't done so already, I suggest that you try validating and/or super validating your data file.  Please save a backup file prior to performing these steps.

Validate: 

1. File
    2. Validate and Repair File...
    3. Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.

If the issue persists, proceed to Super Validate. If the issue is resolved after performing validation, then please disregard the instructions to Super Validate.

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2023

I would suggest we continue to try and determine why the PRU holding is incorrect… [EDIT] have updated topic title -
    What other holdings are incorrect ?

What version…. Help —> About Quicken

How do you get the investment information for the PRU account ?

Here is my TRP account to compare with your PRU -
    What does the Security Detail screen show for your messed up holdings ?….

I would use these basic screens to determine your actual Holdings -
    as some of the other Investment portal screens have been buggy…

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• aprm1024
    aprm1024 Member ✭✭

Again, thank you both so much for helping me figure this out. The Super Validate did not change this situation. Here are the answers to the questions from @Ps56k2:

Quicken Version:

The information about Pru account is synced with eTrade

The security detail for Prudential Finl Inc has the correct total of shares held across multiple accounts

What other holdings are incorrect, here are a few other examples, the holdings are not incorrect but these are securities I don't own anymore and the portfolio value report and downloaded CSV file is being polluted with unnecessary data:

One easy way to solve this is by unchecking this securities in the "Customize Report" screen, however, if I ever purchase any of these securities again I have to remember to change the report.

• aprm1024
    aprm1024 Member ✭✭
    My Quicken file got messed up after all the Validations and Super Validations, I think I have no choice but to create a new file and import only the history that I find necessary, it will probably be a very laborious and time consuming process but I feel it is overdue. My account online connections seem to have stopped working in some cases, for two of the accounts Quicken tried downloading all transactions that were available (Vanguard and TD Ameritrade) both of these are 1-2 years old and all transactions are available for donwload.
This discussion has been closed.