closed account still has EWC+ connection to Bank of America

SomebodyInGNV
SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭

As in the subject, I closed a credit card account at Bank of America and in Quicken. I didn't deactivate the EWC+ connection in Quicken before doing so. Quicken says it disconnected from Bank of America in the process of closing the account but an EWC+ connection remains with only that account in it. I can't disconnect because there's no connection to deactivate.

How do I get rid of the connection. I have other EWC+ connections to BofA but they don't include that account.

Comments

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Hello @SomebodyInGNV,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. There are a couple options for dealing with this situation.

First, backup your file. Create a manual account in Quicken (Tools>Add Account, select the Offline Account tab, select the account type and follow the prompts). Then, you will want to copy the transactions from the closed account and paste them into the newly created manual account. This article provides information on copying and pasting transactions. The standard windows shortcut keys usually also work (CTRL+C to copy, CTRL+V to paste, hold Shift key while selecting transactions to select an entire group at once rather than one at a time). Once you have done that and verified all the transactions you need have been transferred to the new account, you can delete the old closed account. You can then close the new account so it will reflect the correct status in Quicken.

The other option is to restore a backup from before you closed the problem account. In that newly restored file, the account would not yet be showing as closed, so you will be able to deactivate and close the account. Please keep in mind that this will revert the file back to the date the backup was done. Any manual entries put in since that date would need to be put in again. Most financial institutions let you download approximately 90 days worth of transactions; if you are restoring a backup from further than 90 days in the past, you may have gaps in your transaction history.

I hope this helps!

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭

Thanks. Restoring a backup seems like the best option.

• SomebodyInGNV
    SomebodyInGNV Member ✭✭✭

OK. That worked, but in the process I forgot to deactivate a different account while restoring the closed status of it. (I closed several credit cards.)

This shouldn't be possible. Deactivating the online connection should be part of the closure process. There should be no orphan connections. That's obviously an oversight on somebody's part. I can't even delete the bank from the closed account.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod

Thank you for your reply,

I'm glad to hear restoring from a backup resolved the issue.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

This discussion has been closed.