Bank of America missing transactions and Online Bal includes pending

Greg Brown
Greg Brown Member, Windows Beta Beta

For the last few days, possibly after release 49.33, I am missing several transactions. They appear online but are not downloading into Quicken. Also, the online balance being reported includes pending transactions.

Quicken HB&RP 49.33

Windows 11 PRO current…

Quicken Business and Personal-R55.13. Windows 11 PRO current on updates

Comments

• Quicken Jasmine
    Quicken Jasmine Moderator mod

Hello @Greg Brown,

Thank you for reaching out to the Quicken Community, though I do apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

Before I can further assist you, I require some more information. What exactly is occurring when attempting to download transactions? Do you receive any error codes or messages?

Regarding the pending transactions being included in the online balance, we have forwarded this issue to the proper channels to have this further investigated. In the meantime, we request that you please navigate to Help > Report a problem and submit a problem report with log files, a sanitized data file, and screenshots (if possible) attached in order to contribute to the investigation.

I look forward to your response so I may further assist you with the missing transactions.

-Quicken Jasmine

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round-up of your top posts.

• Greg Brown

I am not receiving any error messages the transaction are/were just missing but inluded in the online balance as well as pending transactions in the online balance.

My data file is too large to include with the report. Do you have an alternate method of receiving the data file?

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @Greg Brown,

Thank you for providing more information.

Do you have more than one account with Bank of America? If so, are you experiencing this issue across multiple accounts or only with certain ones?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• RalphC
    RalphC Member ✭✭✭✭
    For the record, I am not having any issues downloading from BofA. Downloaded a transaction just minutes ago. Windows v49.33.
  • Greg Brown

Give me another day to verify this. It's been kind of squirrelly lately. I need to take another look tomorrow. Thanks.

• Greg Brown

Here is the info regarding the Online Balance including pending transactions: The first image shows Quicken and my current balance of 1968.34. The second image shows BofA website and the available bal, which includes 2 processing transactions. The available balance is appearing in Quicken as the online balance. I am obviously Out of Balance to that by 89.68, the 2 pending transactions(last image).

To answer your question, I have multiple accounts but the main checking account is the one with the balance issue, since it is usually the one I have pending transactions in.

• Quicken Jasmine

Hello @Greg Brown,

Thank you for providing more information, though I do apologize for the miscommunication.

I meant to ask, are you experiencing the issue regarding transactions not downloading with all of your accounts or only specific ones? If it is only specific ones, what types of accounts are these?

I look forward to your response.

-Quicken Jasmine

• Greg Brown

Apparently, this was a short-lived issue… Is not happening any longer. Might have had something to do with trying to update too early in the morning.

• Greg Brown

OK, so I spoke too soon. Quicken still using Available Balance when reconciling…

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Greg Brown - the problem is that the 'processing' transactions are not downloaded but the "online balance" includes them. it is a known issue that Quicken has stated they are investigating in other threads. I suspect it is a BofA issue as they calculate the 'online balance' and for some reason has begun to include the pending transactions which are not downloaded until they are 'hard posted'.

• Greg Brown
    edited May 2023

Here is what I found in the "sync.log":

"CHECKING","isBankPendingTxnsExcluded":true,"onlineBalance":1503.7500,"normalizedBalance":1587.1300

1587.13 is the online balance and is reported as "narmalizedBalance". "onlineBalance" is actually available balance and has pending transactions included.

My guess is that something changed around the time of R49.33, either with Quicken or Bank of America.

• bthrock
    bthrock Windows Beta Beta
    edited May 2023

Just to add confirmation, I have experienced this issue with BofA very recently, wherein the online balance includes pending transactions when it's supposed to be excluded.

There have been other rather strange download issues with BofA and Schwab since installing this beta. Ugh, this looks like it might be a real mess.

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg Brown

• sandy.wood
    sandy.wood Member ✭✭
    Adding my two cents in here. I'm experiencing the same issue. Quicken is reconciling against BofA Online / Available balance that includes pending / processing transactions. It appears that by not downloading those transactions, the reconciliation is off every day by that much. Something has changed.
  • Greg Brown

Also, as you can see BofA processed a transaction for 79.39, but it was NOT downloaded by Quicken…

• Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Greg Brown - none of the transactions that are 'processing' will download as that is what is considered a "soft post". The transaction will download once there is a date listed by BofA, which means it is a 'hard post'. That is the way BofA works.

The problem, as you have pointed out, is that the online balance, which is controlled by BofA, is including the 'processing' transactions.

From the Bank's point of view that online balance is the money you have access to, even if it has not yet 'hard posted'. It just has NEVER been reported that way into Quicken; and I see it as an error on the Bank's part. The issue is how long will it take Quicken (which is the tail to this dog) to convince BofA to fix it so that the Online Balance does not include 'soft post' items.

• Greg Brown

I worked for BofA in operations for 39 years. I know exactly how it works. The transaction I am referring to in my latest post shows the transaction for 79.39 has been POSTED. I am NOT referring to the transaction for 3.99 which is still PENDING. And as you can see the 79.39 did NOT download to quicken…

Thanks,

• Greg Brown

OK, here we go. It appears that the missing downloaded transaction(s) issue was a timing issue. I was running OSU too early apparently, before the Bank had finished their posting/update process. The item for 79.39 which didn't download when I ran OSU at 6:00AM ET, downloaded at 11:00 AM ET when I ran it again. So, that's resolved for now.

HOWEVER, the available balance issue is still an issue. Can I get a comment or update from a Quicken rep, please??

• rydogg1
    rydogg1 Member ✭✭
    > @Greg Brown said:
    > Here is what I found in the "sync.log":
    >
    > "CHECKING","isBankPendingTxnsExcluded":true,"onlineBalance":1503.7500,"normalizedBalance":1587.1300
    >
    > 1587.13 is the online balance and is reported as "narmalizedBalance". "onlineBalance" is actually available balance and has pending transactions included.
    >
    > My guess is that something changed around the time of R49.33, either with Quicken or Bank of America.

Good find; seems like someone needs to tick a box somewhere. Guess no response from Quicken on this.
  • Morpheus
    Morpheus Member ✭✭
    Quicken what is the deal on this? It's been 2 weeks and nothing. I have never seen a company that takes this long to fix a bug. I am SW Engineer and this is ridiculous. They always post that they have no date on fixes as well. What SW company does not know when fixes go in sprints?
  • Mark1104
    Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭

@Morpheus - while I agree it would be nice to let us all know what they are doing to set our expectations…this is a BofA issue so Quicken is dependent on BofA to fix this. BofA creates the "online balance" and it is not supposed to include the 'pending' or 'processing' transactions, but mysteriously it began to include them about 2 weeks ago.

• Greg Brown

Not necessarily a BofA issue. Quicken determines which balance to use when updating the account(s). If Quicken uses the "narmalizedBalance" the issue would be resolved, I believe. It would be nice if a Quicken moderator would respond…

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

I am seeing two of these fields in the sync log. Seems redundant.

"isBankPendingTxnsExcluded":true,
    "isIncludePendingTransactions":false,

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.