Quicken crashes doing any Updates

sed9999
sed9999 Member ✭✭

I've tried individual accounts from several different institutions as well as doing a OSU for all my accounts. No matter what I try it just crashes and gives me a report crash window.

This started sometime in the past week though I don't remember exactly when. What could have possibly changed in that time?

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Please try this:

• Use Windows File Explorer to locate and rename your current Quicken data file. For example, if it's called Qdata.QDF rename it to QdataX.QDF
      Usually your file is located in your C:\Users\_your_username_\Documents\Quicken folder.
    • Having done that start Quicken as usual from the Start Menu or Desktop Quicken icon.
      If Quicken cannot find your current data file during startup it should just simply load the program and give you either a nearly blank menu screen or one that has options to start as new user, restore from backup, etc.
    • If you get to this point without Quicken crashing
      • click on File in the Menu bar. Select the Validate function. Select the renamed Quicken data file and see if Quicken can access and repair it.
      • If the data file is beyond repair, try to restore your data file from the most recent Manual or Automatic backup. Go back to restoring successively older backups until you find a file that works https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data
    • If you can't get Quicken to start at all,

• sed9999
    sed9999 Member ✭✭

No problems loading Quicken, it's only doing a One Step Update or updating an individual financial institution that causes it to crash.

What does a DATA_LOG that is "beyond repair" look like? There's no indication that it's beyond repair, just that there is some damaged data records There are no read errors and internal consistency checks passed.

• Quicken Kristina
    Quicken Kristina Moderator mod
    edited May 2023

Hello @sed9999,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about this issue.  I'm sorry to hear you're running into this problem. If you ran the Validate and the issue is still persisting, the next step is to run a Super Validate by following these steps:

Super Validate:

1. File
    2. Hold CTRL + Shift and click Validate and Repair File...
    3. Super Validate File
    4. Click OK
    5. Close the Data Log
    6. Close Quicken (leave it closed for at least 5 secs)
    7. Reopen Quicken and see if the issue persists.   

If the issue is still persisting after following these steps, that is when you would want to move on to restoring from backups.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• I'm not the OP, but I started running into this issue this morning. I could load my file, but OSU would cause Quicken to crash.

After Repair&Validate, I still wasn't able to run OSU.

After running this so-called "Super Validate", I was able to run OSU. Not sure if it's a coincidence or not.

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @52e9a25617a3ce,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, though we apologize that you are experiencing this.

This issue has been reported to our Development and Product teams for further investigation and resolution. Though we do not currently have an ETA, you can bookmark this Community Alert to see updates (when available) and know when the issue is resolved. If you do not see the bookmark icon at the upper right, please make sure you are signed into the Community.

Thank you.

(Ticket #10207431)

Quicken Kristina

• Karen.C
    Karen.C Member

It has been at least a couple of weeks now and I am still unable to use Quicken as it continues to crash. I have tried all of the suggestions. I have validated, super validated, uninstalled and reinstalled with no success. It still crashes, I there an ETA on when this will be fixed. Sooooo frustrating

• Quicken Kristina

Hello @Karen.C,

Thank you for joining the discussion, though I'm sorry to hear you're affected by this issue. While there is an open alert for this issue, there are a couple things you can try that have helped some people get past this issue. Is there any specific action in Quicken that is triggering the crashes, or is it crashing as soon as you open the program? Do you keep your Quicken file on your C drive or is it on a shared network drive?  Is your Quicken file synced with any cloud service, such as One Drive or Dropbox (if it is, you will usually see the service name listed in the file location)? 

The simplest way to check your file location, if you have Quicken up and the file open, is to click on File, then look near the bottom of the list, just above where it says Exit.  It will list the file locations for the 4 Quicken files you have most recently accessed, with the one you are currently in at the #1 spot.

If your file is synced with a cloud service, please try pausing the sync on that service, or putting your file directly on your C drive to see if that prevents the issue.

If that does not work, have you tried restoring a backup from before the issue started? That may help if this is a file specific problem.

Thank you.

Quicken Kristina

This discussion has been closed.