Home & Business version of Quicken Mac

Options
2»

Comments

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

@jennheinzmann said: We farm. I would like it to have that in mind.

For those of us who don't farm — which I would assume applies to the Quicken Mac development team! 😂 — could you be more explicit about what business features you would expect or want in a business version of Quicken Mac?

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • Bennett S
    Bennett S Member ✭✭
    Options
    For me, the biggest thing missing is the ability to invoice my clients. I've found workarounds for most of the other things I'm trying to do to stay on top of my business and taxes etc., but to bill a client I have to go outside Quicken and it's just extra work. I don't want to use a Windows emulator and would much rather be working with Mac-native software
  • Snix
    Snix Member
    Options

Just make it identical to QMac 2017!!! THE BEST version of Q for Mac. I ran my business on it for 20 years. The way the UI worked, the other features and how it created reports was MUCH more flexible and easier than the weird, unintuitive control freak the current version seems to be… Just code QM 2017 to work in the 2023 internet environment, and you will have the best Quicken for Home & Business fort Mac. Why reinvent the wheel? Just re-write the code!!!

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited June 2023
    Options

Quicken for Mac in 2017 had fewer features than the current version, and no support for home businesses or rental properties. Perhaps you meant 2007?

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I did farm in the past… although I used QB then which had this same issue: small farms that file under their 1040 have to complete Schedule F and need all of those tax lines to be present… and if they have payroll, that is filed under form 943 (vs form 940 for normal companies). Otherwise, issues such as sales, depreciation, etc are the same.

But, perhaps @jennheinzmann has other points to raise… :-)

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• jacobs
    Options

Since Quicken (and Quickbooks, for that matter) aims for a mass market, and farming income and expenses are so unique, I suspect that developing farming-specific features is way, way down the development priority list. 😉

• MontanaKarl
    MontanaKarl Member, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

It's not rocket science to add a dozen Schedule F tax lines to the available tax schedules… pretty much same kinds of lines as Schedule E etc. We're talking 5 minutes of data entry by some Quicken employee. Ditto 943 vs 940… they're almost the same, so it's just a duplicate and edit a little. I think 1 hour of employee time is worth the millions of people who file Form F (you'd be surprised at what counts as a small farm).

Quicken user since 1990, MacBook Pro M2 Max on Ventura 13.6.5 • Windows 11

• JamesX7
    JamesX7 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I stopped using quicken for home and business because there was no Mac version and was tired on using parallels for only 1 software. if you come out with a home and business for Mac that can track HST then I will gladly come back at the current H&B annual rate.
  • jacobs
    Options

@JamesX7 The purpose of this thread, started by the Quicken Mac product manager, was seeking input about what specific features users want/expect in a Mac Home & Business version. They understand that many people have used the Windows Home & Business version, but they don't know which aspects of that product users consider essential. They probably can't add all the functionality at once, which is why they're asking what features you're looking for. Invoicing? Receivable tracking? Rental property management? Business reports? And so on. What is it that you need to make Quicken Mac useful for managing your business?

(You mention tracking HST; is that the Canadian "Harmonized Sales Tax" or something else? And is that something which Quicken Windows Home & Business handles?)

• HenryDS
    HenryDS Member
    Options

Hello,

I have been using only the Mac version of Quicken since 1990.  For the past 30+ years, I  used it consistently to track my credit cards and checking accounts.  

Recently, I have been using Quicken for Mac Premier much more extensively to track my net worth and more importantly to run my nascent real estate business.   I currently have long term rentals, medium term rentals and thinking about getting into short term rentals.

Some features that I would like to see in Quicken Home and Business for Mac:

1) Property analysis:
    a) Tracking costs to purchase the property including closing costs
    b) Tracking rehab cost
    c) Tracking marketing costs during vacancies
    d) Tracking property management costs
    e) Tracking property taxes
    f) Tracking monthly and yearly maintenance
    g) For multifamily properties, I would like the option to run a property analysis for the entire building AND for each individual unit
    h) Cash flow analysis for the month, quarter, year and lifetime of a property
    i) Tracking costs associated with selling a property

2) Rent tracking:  
    a) Tracking when the tenant paid
    b) Collecting pet rent where applicable.  This is important if a tenant adds a pet or if the pet is no longer around.
    c) Collecting late fees if applicable
    d) Tracking tenant responsible repairs fees
    e) Integrate into popular property management services (RentRedi, Avail, etc.).

3) Tracking tenant deposits
    a) Tracking deposits in a separate account
    b) Tracking when returning a deposit to a tenant that is leaving the property.
    c) Logging Tenant responsible damage deductions when returning a deposit.

I am sure that there is more I would like to add, but this would be a great start.  Thank you for the opportunity to contribute to this thread. 

Cheers

• SaaS_Cloud
    SaaS_Cloud Member
    Options

I would have imaged a true cloud Software as a Service (SaaS) model would be in the works at this point (CY-2023). The amount of development time that goes into managing both Mac/Windows, bust be off the charts. Why not move to a full cloud-based/browser system and put the windows/Mac thing to rest. Stop versioning your systems and make everybody run the lastest and greatest. The NetSuite/SalesForce model would be painful at first, but pay HUGE dividens in the long-run.

Regarding MacOS, please implete Auto Download feature.

• M Wax
    M Wax Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I too run H&B on my Mac using parallels and would love remove Windows on my Mac. I have rental properties. What the H&B windows version offers is just not possible on the Quicken for Mac version. I can not track my rental properties. It also lacks business reports. Also in quicken for windows I can assign two categories to a transaction. This is just not possible in the Mac version. Why I don't know. For example….All my rental income gets deposited into my business bank. When I transfer my share of the distribution into my personal bank I cannot assign it an income category and assign a transfer at the same time. It therefore does not show under my planning as income. This is easily accomplished in the Quicken for windows H&B version. I have contacted support many times and I am always told this is not possible in the Mac version. So I request the ability to assign multiple categories in the H&B Mac version. Please help me remove windows on my Mac. Lastly, the Mac version runs faster.

• Jon
    Jon SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options

Regarding SaaS, many of us don't like the cloud & would dump Quicken in a hot minute if they tried that. But if you want to vote for a completely web based Quicken, you can do that here.

Regarding Auto Download, you can vote for that here.

Quicken Mac subscription. Quicken user since 1990.

• Tim
    Tim Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I'm one of those who would dump quicken "in a hot minute" if it went cloud-based, web-based, SaaS, whatever. NO!

As for what I need in a Home and Business version: invoicing.

• jacobs
    Options

Stop versioning your systems and make everybody run the lastest and greatest.

That's pretty much what they sought to do with the subscription model: everyone gets and runs the latest update.

The amount of development time that goes into managing both Mac/Windows, bust be off the charts. Why not move to a full cloud-based/browser system and put the windows/Mac thing to rest.

Because it would require pretty much starting over on development. They did that with Quicken Mac a decade ago, and it's still lacking important features that are in Quicken Windows and the predecessor Quicken Mac. Both Quicken Windows and Quicken Mac are closely tied to their respective operating systems for everything from the core database to the user interface screen display to printing reports. I just don't think it's likely they would start over for programs with decades of programming behind them.

And to the extent that they do… they already have. It's Quicken Simplifi. A completely SaaS cloud-based personal finance program. It's much simpler than Quicken, so it won't satisfy many Quicken users, but for someone who wants run-anywhere software, it exists.

• JamesX7
    JamesX7 Member ✭✭
    Options

@jacobs, yes HST is the harmonized sales tax that is essential to keep track of for any business that collects tax. Having this feature, plus tracking bills, sales and invoicing and business reports (like sales tax report) would be essential for myself.

• JDC2022
    JDC2022 Member
    Options

I love the Rental property features!

This discussion has been closed.