Compare to Portfolio transactions

LzhMALpCSFtAykPNV8Un
LzhMALpCSFtAykPNV8Un Quicken Windows Subscription Member ✭✭
edited October 2023 in Investing (Windows)

https://help.quicken.com/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=3216587

The "adjustment transactions" are weird.

I personally want to do "Add Shares" if the portfolio has a higher share balance, but manual entry is tedious. Even when I use "Add Shares" Compare to Portfolio doesn't update with the additions.

There has to be a better way.

Answers

• Tom Young
    Tom Young Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

You can tell Quicken to create Placeholders automatically each time your Quicken portfolio security balances don't agree to the financial institutions numbers:

Edit > Preferences... > Downloaded transactions > Compare account portfolio after download Settings

The select the Accounts in which you want Quicken to create the the Placeholders

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Actually the Compare account portfolio option shows any differences of more than .001 share between your holdings in Quicken and the downloaded share balances and gives you the option to create Placeholders.

I always note any differences and correct any missing or incorrect transactions rather than accepting Placeholders.

This Security Comparison Mismatch dialog is the same as what you get when you click on the gear at the top right of the account and select Reconcile Shares.

QWin Premier subscription
  • LzhMALpCSFtAykPNV8Un

The place holder transactions are the problem., not what I would do to correct the holdings total shares.

• Tom Young

It seemed like you wanted to get the number of shares in Quicken in sync with the broker's number.

I read your answer to say that you've been doing that manually with Add actions and it's too much work, so having Placeholders entered automatically would fix that. That's the "better way" you wanted if the complaint is "too much work."

So now I'm perplexed.

If you're routinely getting placeholder even after entering them then it would seem that the problem is on the broker's end with erroneous number of share information being sent, and I have seen that happen.

Have you looked at Simple investing?

• LzhMALpCSFtAykPNV8Un

The Compare to Portfolio shows the accurate differences. I can confirm them with the broker.

The concern is a "placeholder" transaction is not an "add shares" with the diff so it makes it difficult to rectify without some manual action.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman Quicken Windows Subscription SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are the mismatches small fractions of a share, as might be caused by rounding issues, or is a larger difference?

On one of my accounts I would sometimes get small mismatches after dividend reinvestments. In that case it was best to note the amount of the mismatch and adjust the number of shares bought in the Reinvest transaction.

If the mismatches are larger, you really should investigate to figure out what is happening. Sometimes for example a security in Quicken is matched to the wrong security at the broker, or there is a security at the broker that does not download to Quicken. This can happen for example if you have a 401(k) with a "Brokerage window" which lets you hold securities that are not usually included in the 401(k) lineup.

Also if you want to use Added and Removed transactions to reconcile the mismatches, you can click on the gear at the top right of the account and select Update share balance. This will create an Added or Removed to make the share balance match the number you enter. Confusingly, this is different from hitting Enter Transactions and selecting Adjust share balance, which creates a Placeholder.

QWin Premier subscription
  • LzhMALpCSFtAykPNV8Un

Oh I know what happens. The online system that downloads transactions with Quicken can randomly loose/not apply downloads. Now whether due to user error or Quicken, it happens, and I just live with it and adjust the accounts.

• Tom Young

If you're being serious here and what you report is really the case, then the best answer from the standpoint of less work for you and the accuracy of your accounting records would be to fix that.

I'd suggest contacting Official Quicken Support here.

https://www.quicken.com/support#windows

This discussion has been closed.