Tax Center Projected Tax amounts are zero [edited]

Options
2»

Answers

• PCWizard
    PCWizard Member ✭✭
    Options

jk_hart, are you saying there IS a simple fix and you have it, or you just think it must be simple? I agree that this is taking way too long to get a solution in our hands.

• CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I’m just relieved they finally finally finally fixed the missing/disappearing budget problem few months ago. They’ve conditioned me to greatful for what does work.

I have this issue as well, but I assume they’ll get to when they are good and ready to fix what is another simple fix if they would prioritize.

Quicken User Since - 1991
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@PCWizard not a fix but a workaround, if you click on Show Tax Planner then close the Tax Planner window, the Projected Tax summary will populate with the current Tax Planner values.

The data is not "sticky" and reverts to zeros if you restart Quicken

QWin Premier subscription
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

I figured out the work around too. But why can’t the program work it out so we don’t have to🙂

• Jim_Harman
    edited September 2023
    Options

In a post on July 21, @Quicken Kristina acknowledged that this is a bug that the developers are working on (CTP-6902).

In the meantime, you can submit a problem report. Click on Planning to show the Projected Tax showing as all zeros, then go to Help > Report a Problem and attach the screenshot.

You will not get a response to the problem report, but the volume of reports helps the developers to prioritize issues.

Other than that, all we can do is wait for them to fix it.

• Regina@
    Regina@ Member ✭✭✭
    Options

same issue here - for months now

• Jim_Harman
    Options

It appears that Quicken may be making some progress on this or a related issue. See this Alert.

Note, however, that the issue being discussed here is zeros in the Projected Tax section of the the Tax Center, not the Tax Planner summary page as described in the Alert.

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

This problem still exists in R52.20.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• felding
    felding Member ✭✭
    Options

I was able to get the Tax Planner to work by first going to the "Bills and Income" tab and then opening the tax planner. If I try to open the Tax Planner from the Home tab it just cycles endlessly.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

What is the name of the panel on the Home tab that won't open the Tax Planner?

I don't see a link to the Tax Planner on the Bills & Income tab. Do you mean the Planning > Tax Center tab? That works for me.

• SpartyRB
    SpartyRB Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I'm so thrilled Quicken took the time to release another update so the logo is correct. Was really worried that would take months. Meanwhile, the Tax Planner issue still continues to be ignored despite the fact it's a 100% internal issue that doesn't rely on communication with external banks. Thankfully, tax season isn't around the corner so no need to have a realistic tax estimate anytime soon. Oh wait ….

• jk_hart
    jk_hart Member ✭✭
    Options

Projected Tax still all zeros unless you open and close tax planner. Hard to recommend this app with simple to fix bugs that have been reported months ago but never fixed. But ya, glad they figured out the new logo quickly 🙄

• Vesldoc
    Vesldoc Member ✭✭
    Options

Tax planer still is not working properly. Is there anyone from Quicken listening?? This has become a WTF moment as I have never seen an issue like this persist for so long. Do any of the Quicken programers pay any attention to these comments?

• SpartyRB
    SpartyRB Member ✭✭
    Options

Is this getting worse for others as well? I can't get Quicken to give me a consistent estimate anymore even after correcting the program's errors. Each time I try to correct the data in the Tax Planner something else changes and the amount due/owed fluctuates widely. Seriously Quicken, this is an internal programming issue. Why can't you guys fix your OWN programs?!??! Does anyone have any suggestions for migrating decades of Quicken data over to another more reliable program?

• Jim_Harman
    Options
  • CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

Hi Community,

I think all of us who utilize the Projected Tax Feature are frustrated with the same issue. When all you have to do is click on one of the tax items, get a simple summary and close to fix, it is clearly an easy fix or at least I hope so. Many of us suffered through disappearing budgets for over 2 years before the flaw was corrected. The Projected Tax problem should fixed ASAP no doubt, but since I suspect this is a memory management issue. I can wait a little longer if the fix doesn't corrupt other parts of the program. Interestingly, this Projected Tax problem seemed to occur shortly after the budget disappearing fix.

I know the current flaw is unacceptable, but I wish Quicken would communicate more frequently with the community keeping us posted to give us the feeling that they are "On it". The lack of communication leads to the feeling that they do not care. Instead, they should post weekly the issues they are working on with a status and perhaps some commentary. Programmers can assume we don't know anything, but we do and can handle delays to fixes with better communication.

• Dave335
    Dave335 Member ✭✭✭
    Options

"I wish Quicken would communicate more frequently with the community keeping us posted to give us the feeling that they are "On it". The lack of communication leads to the feeling that they do not care. Instead, they should post weekly the issues they are working on with a status and perhaps some commentary."

I think that would be a great service. I think we all want transparency.

• Jim_Harman
    Options
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2023
    Options

This tax planner issue appears to be fixed in R52.33, recently released. At least it is populating my projected tax window in tax planner.

Use the Help>check for updates feature, in-app, or download the mondo patch here:

https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product

• PCWizard
    PCWizard Member ✭✭
    Options

Yes, I noticed that this morning. Finally!

• leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023
    Options

@Scooterlam I wonder if version R52.33 is a staged release or for all users.

Nevermind. Announcement given that it is for all users.

Deluxe R55.26., Windows 10 Pro

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2023
    Options

Normally it would be a staged release, but I see it also shows up on the manual patch page. I took it and I currently see no adverse affect….yet…

• CMRater
    CMRater Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Accepted the automatic update this morning. Seems to work :)

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    edited October 2023
    Options

In R52.33, Capital Gains are not being correctly reported in the Tax Center view causing the projected tax to be incorrect.

Adding- In my case, capital gains in the Tax Center view is showing the Adjustment value in Long-term capital gain from Tax Planner rather than the total capital gain in Tax Center. It looks like the wrong field is being referenced for display in Tax Center.

• Jim_Harman
    Options

@markus1957

I can't tell for sure from your description, but you may be affected by this issue. Read to the bottom for a workaround.

• Cyclist
    Cyclist Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I would concur that Tax Planner/Projected Tax is not working correctly as well. When I bring up Tax Planner, it was showing a value for Net Taxable Capital Gains and Losses that was $927 higher than what appeared in Projected Tax, resulting in a discrepancy in Remaining Tax Due between the two. Manually entering a LT Loss Carryover of $927 in Tax Planner resulted in Tax Due amounts matching, which would indicate to me that the discrepancy in Net Capital Gains/Losses is the culprit. Just an aside, when I initially went into Tax Planner, it had amounts corresponding to Quicken Data (from 2023) for both LT and ST carryovers. After selecting User Entered and manually entering 0, the ability to switch back to Quicken Data (from 2023) was grayed out. I'm content with this, as in actuality I have no carryover losses, but the figure that was originally there for both ST & LT carryover was way out of line. Not sure where that would come from.

Update - after closing Quicken and restarting, it appears that Tax Planner/Projected Tax are now coordinated. Beware on the first time thru though.

• SPietroske
    Options

Is anyone having issues with Realized gains not showing in Planning/Tax Center/Projected tax? They seem to have corrected the issue with Projected tax not refreshing, but now realized gains are gone and the Total Income is wrong. Realized gains a=do appear in the taxable Income YTD section and the Total Income is correct there.

• Cyclist
    Cyclist Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I don't have the same problem. It's still wonky though. When I looked to verify my response to @SPietroske, my realized gains matched both in Tax Planner & Projected Tax. My Int & Div Income, and thus Remaining Tax Due were out of sync though. The old "fix" of opening Tax Planner and then closing brought both back into sync, but this is an annoying problem. Just verified and the discrepancy was a result of (2) dividend transactions downloaded and accepted during this session. I would guess that Quicken is not bringing Tax Planner and Projected Tax into sync within a single session - to confirm I'll wait until next time I have brokerage transactions, screen shot Projected Tax, close Quicken and reopen to see if Projected Tax changes (have to do it this way, as opening Tax Planner will bring them back into sync. Is it possible that your Realized Gain discrepancy was on a day when you had just downloaded buy(s)/sell(s) from your brokerage account? Time to contact Aquiline Capital Partners (current owners of Quicken) to make them aware (they might not care) of the ongoing problems at Quicken.

This discussion has been closed.