Video of 4 days ago.... New Quicken Logo and Name...

Options
retird
retird Member ✭✭✭✭
edited October 2023 in The Water Cooler

Video from Quicken 4 days ago…

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Well, it hasn't changed here …

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Updates typically come out on Fridays. Maybe this coming Friday?

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

For me this about the most boring announcement. I'm sure he loves his new business cards, but I fail to see how this really impacts any user, other than some might panic on a name change.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

so… how much effort was expended in creating and implementing this new logo - vs focusing on fixing bugs -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Got email today from Eric Dunn. Quicken updates to new logo. Now Quicken Classic. Anyone else get this update via Email??

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options

I got two of them since I have two Quicken IDs.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Austin@
    Austin@ Mac Beta Beta
    Options

I didn’t get the email. Would either of you mind posting a copy of the email here? Not sure why I didn’t get it.

• Phil Burton
    Phil Burton Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Options

Gee,

How heart-warming. A new product name and a new logo. The expression, "Old wine in new bottles" comes to mind.

I listened in vain to all the happy talk, for comments about the state-of-the-art-1990 User Interface.

Is it possible to send email directly to the CEO?

Been using Quicken (and TurboTax) since DOS days in 1990s.
  • Willaim Webb
    Options

New Logo was a waste of money. How about fixing the Schwab download issue which is wasting countless hours of your Customers time. Can't even use the one step update to update all types of accounts at once. You have joined Wall Street Journal, Target, Bud and WPC for destroying value. A new Logo? Who cares?

• William
    William Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I agree. It is discouraging to see effort on useless name and logo changes while problems continue: e.g. The "valid Date" bug on accepting inventments updates.

And the "Classic" name sure sounds like "Outdated".

• Willaim Webb
    Options

I think I've seen this movie before…

New Logo, New Name: Quicken Classic. Drum Roll»>

New Product Introduction- "New Blue Quicken" A totally new software platform, better features but incompatible with Classic which becomes frozen, but functional for those who don't want to switch. Data won't migrate?

Timing: Happy Halloween.

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

E-MAIL TEXT THAT CAME WITH THE E-MAILED VIDEO I RECEIVED…….

Dear XXXXXXXXX,

I am writing and sharing a short video below to let you know about updates to our brand and product names.

Our desktop software product (and the one I personally use!), Quicken, is now Quicken Classic —

an updated name with a nod to our past, honoring our 40 years of history in the personal finance

space, while also distinguishing it from our cloud-based Quicken Simplifi.

Quicken Classic for Windows and Mac, along with the companion apps, are the same great products

you’ve come to rely on, and we will continue to work to make Quicken Classic even better. Our most

experienced product development teams will remain dedicated to Quicken Classic for as far ahead

as we can foresee.

As part of the name update, we have also updated our company logo to reflect Quicken’s history

in a modern design. As with the product, we’re still the same company, working hard to deliver great

software to our customers.

Thank you for being a Quicken user — we’re glad you’re here.

Eric Dunn
    CEO
    Quicken Inc.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• Palace
    Palace Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Austin, you can do search online for Eric Dunn email about changes to Quicken. Just type "Quicken has new logo" in search engine.

• GermanBlueRam
    GermanBlueRam Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

You can see it here: [Removed - 3rd-Party Forum Link]

• retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Reddit posted this:

I just received the email:

I am writing and sharing a short video below to let you know about updates to our brand and product names.

Our desktop software product (and the one I personally use!), Quicken, is now Quicken Classic — an updated name with a nod to our past, honoring our 40 years of history in the personal finance space, while also distinguishing it from our cloud-based Quicken Simplifi.

Quicken Classic for Windows and Mac, along with the companion apps, are the same great products you’ve come to rely on, and we will continue to work to make Quicken Classic even better. Our most experienced product development teams will remain dedicated to Quicken Classic for as far ahead as we can foresee.

As part of the name update, we have also updated our company logo to reflect Quicken’s history in a modern design. As with the product, we’re still the same company, working hard to deliver great software to our customers.

Thank you for being a Quicken user — we’re glad you’re here.

Eric Dunn

CEO

Quicken Inc.

• Bioman
    Bioman Member ✭✭✭
    Options

So will there still be 3 levels…basic, deluxe, premier and will the title bar indicate which you are running? When I saw the release notes I was afraid to download since I thought there was a mistake as to which version level I had. So a blue logo that says quicken is more modern than a red one. Why not green- the color of money? Agree with others that Classic sounds old, not new, as in a classic car.

• Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Keep moving folks. Nothing to see here….

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Title bar:

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

BTW I think the main reason for the video is because they knew people would react exactly how some have and panic, even though it is really a trivial change.

Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I think it is more than a trivial change but we have no clue what will take place going forward, if anything…….. I noticed Intuit sunsetted it's Quickbooks desktop software I think in May (2020 version) and even though Intuit offers a 2023 version it is not easily seen on their site. They also have a procedure to migtate desktop file to web based Quickbooks. And we know that Quicken depends on Intuit as 3rd party aggregation. Just an observation on my part.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@retird Not a good comparison in my opinion. Quickbooks has long had a "cloud version", and I'm talking a full version, not "Quicken Mobile" or "Quicken Simplifi" that fall way short of the features in Quicken Desktop.

Quickbooks business model has always been different than Quicken's. First off it targets a market that is willing to spend more. Second, it has always allowed for external support/development. It wasn't an accident that Intuit dropped Quicken, but kept Quickbooks, Quicken was a drop in the bucket for their revenue, and Quickbooks after TurboTax as a big money maker.

I find it very telling/ironic that the rewrite of Quicken Mac that started in 2007 and was released in 2010 was called Quicken Mac Essentials. Notice the similarity to Simplifi? As in "this can't possibly replace the 'full version', but not everyone needs such power so we will start with that".

One of the things that has struck me about Quicken Simplifi is how slowly it is getting new features. If this was really their "future throw everything at it" product I would expect a lot more progress by now. The stupid thing can even generate reports!

Just try to even get information on it, other than some advertising, or blog, or FAQ, if you try to even find the "community" you get pushed back to this site!

Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Chris_QPW … yep there is no comparison between QB and QC. My thought was only about the business model and QC's dependence on Intuit servers and downstream servers. Not long after QC was first sold by Intuit QC was sunsetted and subscription model was the new QC. So we will just wait for the next change….

QS is just a budgeting tool and no comparison to QC IMO…..

• davidmarketing
    davidmarketing Member ✭✭✭
    Options

I am not a fan of the change nor the new logo. In reality, it doesn't matter - the product is what I use. I'm a Quicken user since 1995 and love the product but classic sounds basic and old to me.

I am more worried they will go to a completely cloud system at some point. Right now, I can't use the cloud because it corrupts my data for some reason. I have almost 30 years of data and I think when we used to do the disk updates every year something got corrupted.

• Don Bartenstein
    Don Bartenstein Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

That's my worry. Every time I've tried their cloud sync it has corrupted my data.

• apollo_ute
    apollo_ute Member ✭✭
    Options

The new logo made me wonder what program was now installed. A kludgy workaround ensued:

• Download / create a 'Q' icon
    • Use a photo editor to save it as an icon file (.ico)
    • Right-click Quicken → Properties → Shortcut →Change Icon
    • Restart

This allowed the icon on the taskbar to look like Quicken but the upper left corner of the program running still has the confused squiggly circle.

I don't see a problem with names like Quicken Desktop / Quicken Cloud to differentiate the products but this is the state of software now. They tell us what we'll like and discontinue what they like.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Since Quicken Simplifi isn't really looking like it is going to replace Quicken Desktop, I wouldn't worry about Quicken being cloud only, but I would say this, I think the main reason that Quicken Mobile/Web corrupts data is because of the complicated syncing needed, which wouldn't be there in the case of a pure cloud-based system.

Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

You had to manually do that to get the new logo to show correctly in the taskbar? Guess I need to wait to install the update like I always do because others find issues within the update quickly…….

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you restart your computer before trying all this?

It does state in the update that one has to reboot their computer for it all to change over.

Signature:
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

Did you do the update and what results did you get?

• apollo_ute
    apollo_ute Member ✭✭
    Options

I updated to R52.28 - when that happened (no reboot needed) there was the new "Classic" icon attached to the program. I wasn't a fan of it and it didn't really look like Quicken so I performed the steps outlined above to create my own .ico file and update the program to point to that. That process will work for any Windows program.

This discussion has been closed.