Why did they change the name to Quicken Classic

Options
doug kittredge
doug kittredge Member ✭✭
edited September 2023 in The Water Cooler

I watched the CEOs video but he never explained why the name change. without an answer, my mind goes to them introducing a quicken non-classic and sunsetting the "classic" over time.

Comments

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

You would need to ask that question of the CEO himself. No one on this forum, moderators included most probably, were part of that decision.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

yup - hard to say what marketing genius suggested these changes….
    maybe after fired from Coke and Oscar Mayer Frankmobile -

and agree…. if changing to CLASSIC -
    that implies there is something "new and improved" or that the "Classic" is getting ….. - what ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

interesting - need to come up with something to tag along with the name "Quicken" -
    but not as dumb as "Quicken Desktop" or "Quicken Simply Online" -

so - maybe "Classic" is a good fit for this point in time -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Larry the Tax Guy
    Larry the Tax Guy Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Come on guys, did you get the name Quicken Classic from one of the people at Bud Lite?

Descriptive and crystal clear:

• Quicken Desktop
    • Quicken Online (or Quicken Cloud)

And why not actually have a Quicken Cloud that exactly duplicates Quicken Desktop?

Our tax office has dozens of Quicken clients, we have been recommending Quicken since 1990: But it is quite the chore getting their Quicken tax data. What a pleasure it would be to simply log-in to their Quicken Cloud (as the Accountant) and pull the reports we need and to make register corrections.

For new clients coming in, we go straight to QuickBooks Online. We no longer recommend Quicken to new clients. Feeling sad about this.

• carl
    carl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

Because they are going to kill the desktop product. Mark the date. I'm sure they will deny it all day long but a year or so from now they will finally come clean when they kill it and tell you that you have to go to the web based product. (Quicken Simplifi)

Classic = End of Life Soon

I've seen this multiple times before with other products. They think we are stupid. (and maybe we are for using their frequently broken app)

• carl
    carl Member ✭✭✭
    Options

They didn't tell you eh? Employees are usually the last to know. (especially support people)

Mark my words. Quicken desktop is a dead man walking at this point.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

Come on guys, did you get the name Quicken Classic from one of the people at Bud Lite?

Nope they got it from the Coke company. :-) (After the New Coke disaster)

Because they are going to kill the desktop product. Mark the date. I'm sure they will deny it all day long but a year or so from now they will finally come clean when they kill it and tell you that you have to go to the web based product. (Quicken Simplifi)

Not going to happen, Quicken Desktop is most of their revenue. If you are talking at least 10 years into the future then "maybe", but no possible way right now. They would go out of business first.

Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • retird
    retird Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options

The new name Quick-en Classic could easily be renamed "Slow-en Classic" from the continuing OSU latency. Still no ETA when it will get fixed.

Windows 11 (2 separate computers)..... Quicken Premier.. HAVE USED QUICKEN CONTINUOUSLY SINCE 1985.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So the marketing philosophy is to rename to Classic after a disaster, I guess that is one definition of QMobile/QWeb/QCA.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• rotygolf
    rotygolf Member ✭✭✭
    Options

The real issue is who are the current Quicken Classic users. I bet the demographics say it is older people that "grew" up with it. The younger crowd likely uses the online or web version. Classic means end of life is come. The Support people are the last to know because they are not working the front end of the business or strategic product planning. Quicken Desktop will be gone in 5 years.

• TheGolux
    TheGolux Member ✭✭
    edited September 2023
    Options

I see the logo change, and saw the video by the CEO about the logo change. And of course the new name of the product, namely "Quicken Classic" instead of simply "Quicken".

Which begs the question — is there now a new Quicken on the horizon or road map? A soon-to-be non-Classic version? Is there any information about that?

• SRC1954
    SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2023 Answer ✓
    Options

It's because their other product Simplifi, which is cloud based, is now called Quicken Simplifi. So Quicken is now Quicken Classic.

Steve
    MS Money/Quicken Classic since 1991
    Quicken Simplifi since 2021

• I'll be closing this thread as it's getting off-topic; however, to reiterate, Quicken Classic isn't going anywhere— 😉

Quicken Kathryn
    Community Administrator
  • TheGolux
    TheGolux Member ✭✭
    Options

Awesome thanks.

• skush06
    skush06 Member ✭✭
    Options

In prior discussion referring to question of why the name change,

The response below is the "rub". I want a quicken that keeps up with the times, and that includes an online version. I've been waiting for a decade but what I'm now hearing is "give up on that". We built an online version. It's not as capable as Quicken, there's no data pathway to it, and maybe, maybe one day it might equal desktop quicken.

Quicken Kathryn Administrator adminSeptember 26

Hi @doug kittredge,

Quicken is not going anywhere! This change was made simply to differentiate between our online products, like the newly-named Quicken Simplifi, and our desktop products, like Quicken Classic. We want to make sure that folks who want a desktop software don't end up with the online version, and vice versa.

As far as we're concerned, the Quicken you know has been a Classic since 1983, and isn't going anywhere 😀

This discussion has been closed.